Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wifi drop out

• Please log in to reply

Hartsrealestate

Hartsrealestate

• Pip
  • 3 posts

I work in an office where the wifi constantly drops out,  the router is brand new. 

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP
Dropouts are often caused by interference.  Download inssider

Double click to install it. Then run it

It will show you a graph in the bottom  that has your signal in blue and competing signals in orange and yellow.  It may also recommend a different channel which might have less interference.

Moving to a different channel (by logging on to your router) can drastically improve performance.

Hartsrealestate

Hartsrealestate

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Thank you so much 

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP

The router makers claim that the router will automatically select the best channel but in my experience that never works.  We lived in an apartment complex where most people had AT&T service and inssider showed that all of them were on channel 6.  I logged onto mine and changed channel selection from auto to manual and put it on Channel 2 which was not being used and the dropouts stopped.

Hartsrealestate

Hartsrealestate

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

How do i log into mu router to change the channel , and i downloaded that link and it just took me to a search bar

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP

Just tried it and it worked for me:

[attachment=85516:inssider.JPG]

To log on to your router, first find the make and model number then look up the default username and password

http://www.routerpasswords.com/

If the router was probided by your ISP, look on the router for a sticker with the username and password.

Open up an elevated Command Prompt (admin)

Win 7: Start, All Programs, Accessories then right click on Command Prompt and Run as Administrator

Type:

ipconfig

hit Enter

You will get something like:

Windows IP Configuration

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : Waitsfield.gateway
   IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.100
   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254

Note the IP address of the Default Gateway.  In my example it is 192.168.1.254 which is unusual.  Most will have either 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1

Open a browser and type in the IP address of the default gateway.  Hit enter.  Use the default username and password you got from the lookup.  Most router makers have their manuals on line so check the support site for your router which should explain a bit more.