Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

firestick invalid format

• Please log in to reply

KenInSin

KenInSin

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I'm getting "invalid format" on my firestick. It was working fine one minute. Next minute.... please help!

Advertisements

UnloosedCake

UnloosedCake

• PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Hello KenInSin,
:welcome:
My name is UnloosedCake, and I'm here to help you figure out this issue!

Are you using the factory usb cord and wall adapter or a third party? Can you try switching to a different version? (i.e if you're using all factory cords and adapters, switch to third party, and vice versa)

If this doesn't solve the problem, let me know and we can try to troubleshoot!

KenInSin

KenInSin

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Unloosed Cake,
I have tried different USB cords, as well as spent adapters & that didn't help anything. My Firestick was working fine one minute & then everything just stopped working & the screen was black with "Invalid Format" on my screen. screen

UnloosedCake

UnloosedCake

• PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

What type of television do you have?

Do you plug the firestick into the wall or the TV for power?

KenInSin

KenInSin

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
it's been plugged in through the wall & my TV is an LG 40LH5300. It's a 40"LED with 1920 x 1080 resolution & full HD display. I read some information online about the "Invalid Format" issue with Firestick, but nothing to fix it.

UnloosedCake

UnloosedCake

• PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Everything I've read about 'invalid format' with Firesticks and LG TVs leads to switching out the usb/wall adapter as the solution. Try switching them out and leaving it plugged in without touching it (try turning it on or however that works) and come back to it in a half hour or so... 

If that doesn't work, you'll want to try Amazon support as I have no way to troubleshoot or replicate the issue from here.