Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

will a ssd help improve performance?

• Please log in to reply

mrpooh3

mrpooh3

• PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Hi,can anyone tell me if it is worth upgrading to a ssd?

I have been looking around the web reading up and noticed that some users seem to use both a sdd and their standard sata at the same time can anyone tell me why they do this and is it possible to just have everything on the new ssd and get rid of the old sata drive?

Does a ssd install where my old sata drive would go?

Any info appreciated as I know little about ssd other than they don't last as long as standard hds.

Advertisements

Existing_One

Existing_One

• PipPip
  • 11 posts

Well, for me it is not that much for gaming, but you would get faster booting and maybe faster in opening app. The difference is not that much for me. If you planning to save all of your files on it, then forget about it.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,975 posts

Hi Mrpooh3,

In most cases is the SSD will provide improved performance but for better assist you please provide the following.

• download Speccy Portable save the file to some place
  • extract the Zip file spsetupxxx.zip to an empty folder
  • run Speccy/Speccy64 according to the Operating System you have

To publish a Speccy profile to the Web:

• In Speccy, click File, and then click Publish Snapshot.
  • In the Publish Snapshot dialog box, click Yes to enable Speccy to proceed.
  • Speccy publishes the profile and displays a second Publish Snapshot. You can open the URL in your default browser, copy it to the clipboard, or close the dialog box

Please post the resulting URL.

mrpooh3

mrpooh3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Hi Mrpooh3,

In most cases is the SSD will provide improved performance but for better assist you please provide the following.

• download Speccy Portable save the file to some place
  • extract the Zip file spsetupxxx.zip to an empty folder
  • run Speccy/Speccy64 according to the Operating System you have

To publish a Speccy profile to the Web:

• In Speccy, click File, and then click Publish Snapshot.
  • In the Publish Snapshot dialog box, click Yes to enable Speccy to proceed.
  • Speccy publishes the profile and displays a second Publish Snapshot. You can open the URL in your default browser, copy it to the clipboard, or close the dialog box

Please post the resulting URL.

Hi here is the url : http://speccy.pirifo...NNyQbZHS8ymOWYA

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,975 posts

Hi,

The machine its a Dell Latitude E5420?

Presently the machine have a Sata HDD 160GB if you replace that with an SSD +/- 256GB the machine will improve performance and you get extra storage space.

mrpooh3

mrpooh3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Hi,

The machine its a Dell Latitude E5420?

Presently the machine have a Sata HDD 160GB if you replace that with an SSD +/- 256GB the machine will improve performance and you get extra storage space.

Hi yes its a latitude e5420....I was going to replace the hd with a 120gb ssd as I don't use anywhere near 120 but only if it would significantly increase boot time.

I was also considering upgrading the ram to 8gb but didn't wan't to spend too much as I would eventually like to get a new laptop as I have been considering a new one for well over a year now.

I just can't seem to find a newish one with the specs I want at the price I want though.

Edited by mrpooh3, 18 July 2017 - 12:38 PM.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,975 posts

Hi yes its a latitude e5420....I was going to replace the hd with a 120gb ssd as I don't use anywhere near 120 but only if it would significantly increase boot time.

I was also considering upgrading the ram to 8gb but didn't wan't to spend too much as I would eventually like to get a new laptop as I have been considering a new one for well over a year now.

I just can't seem to find a newish one with the specs I want at the price I want though.

You mean decrease boot time :) yes they do.

I found 120GB very small but of course it depends on the number of installed programs and data you have.

mrpooh3

mrpooh3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

You mean decrease boot time :) yes they do.

I found 120GB very small but of course it depends on the number of installed programs and data you have.

thanks,

is it worth upgrading the ram to 8gb aswell as I am running win 10 64-bit OS?

Could you tell me if it is safe to purchase refurbished RAM?

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,975 posts

thanks,
is it worth upgrading the ram to 8gb aswell as I am running win 10 64-bit OS?
Could you tell me if it is safe to purchase refurbished RAM?

No if you don't run any heavy applications.

Dell machines can be picky on the memory they accept if you decide to upgrade make sure you use some trusted source just in case you need to replace the memory.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Use the Crucial system scanner tool here to find the best recommended Ram and SSD for your system, no need to purchase from there, write down the details, let us know what is suggested and we can take a look for you. 

Advertisements

mrpooh3

mrpooh3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Use the Crucial system scanner tool here to find the best recommended Ram and SSD for your system, no need to purchase from there, write down the details, let us know what is suggested and we can take a look for you. 

Hi,thank you.

unfortunately I can't save the scan the save button is not working for me.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Sorry but not with you as I suggested that you "write down the details, let us know what is suggested and we can take a look for you."

There are plenty of merchants that will sell what you need and hopefully for less cash, we just need what Crucial recommends as what is best for your particular computer.

mrpooh3

mrpooh3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Hi,it shows alot of compatible hardware :

the cheapest SSD 

Crucial MX300 275GB SATA 2.5" 7mm (with 9.5mm adapter) Internal SSD CT8439904
  • Crucial MX300 275GB SATA 6Gbps 2.5" Internal SSD • 530MB/s Read, 510MB/s Write
  • upgrade for Dell Latitude E5420 system.

the cheapest set 8gb ram :

Crucial 8GB Kit (2 x 4GB) DDR3L-1600 SODIMM

CT3305341
  • DDR3 PC3-12800 • CL=11 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR3-1600 • 1.35V •
  • upgrade for Dell Latitude E5420 system.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Not sure how much you wish to spend but smaller capacity SSDs tend to be expensive.

Crucial RAM for less here

Kingston - A400 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive

mrpooh3

mrpooh3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Not sure how much you wish to spend but smaller capacity SSDs tend to be expensive.

Crucial RAM for less here

Kingston - A400 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive

Hi,thanks very much for the help.

I will invest in RAM first.

cheers!