Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Explorer Has Stopped Working (When Right Mouse Clicking)

• Please log in to reply

brispuss

brispuss

• PipPip
  • 50 posts

As per the title, I've had Windows Explorer stop running twice today. This has happened before, but only at a frequency of about once in a month or so.

This "Windows Explorer Has Stopped Working" error started to occur maybe a year or so ago.

I think the issue usually occurs when right mouse clicking in Windows Explorer.

I've changed mice. Run SFC /SCANNOW. Run CHKDSK. But nothing is found and the issue still seems to persist.

From Googling, the issue may be due to some registry issues, or due to video driver issues, or due to malware (although malware was recently cleared from the computer and no other malware found)?

Ideas?

Running Windows 7 32 bit SP1.

Edited by brispuss, 18 July 2017 - 04:35 AM.

Advertisements

UnloosedCake

UnloosedCake

• PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Hello *user*,
:welcome:
My name is UnloosedCake, and I'm here to help you fix this issue!

Please do the following:

• Press the Windows button and R at the same time to open the 'run' dialog box
  • Type "msconfig" and hit enter
  • Take a screenshot of the "startup items" section and post it back here DO NOT MAKE ANY CHANGES IN MSCONFIG YET, JUST SCREENSHOT THE SETTINGS

Once you reply with that, we can try to fix this issue!

brispuss

brispuss

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Thanks for the response!

I just noticed that under "General" tab, the Startup was set to "Selective startup" (with Load system services, and Load startup items checked; Use original boot configuration is already checked and grayed out). I think I may have changed the startup from "Normal startup" when trying to diagnose some system issues maybe a couple of weeks ago, and I forgot to set startup back to "Normal startup".

I don't know if this has any effect on Windows Explorer stopping (on right mouse clicking)? However, I've had Windows Explorer stopping previously with Normal startup anyway.

Enclosed are two screenshots of the "Startup" tab. I couldn't vertically expend the message box so that only one screen shot would be required.

msconfig_1.png

msconfig_2.png

UnloosedCake

UnloosedCake

• PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Perfect, thank you for the screenshots!

A few things:

As far as the current issue goes, try selecting "disable all" and restarting your computer. See if the right click issue persists. If it does, re-enable all of them and apply that setting.

If the issue does not persist after disabling and rebooting, it's indicitave of one of these programs hogging too much computer resources (as far as I can tell) but the issue is there's no perfect way to tell which one. If the problem goes away, I would re-enable only the necessary startup programs and then try restarting and going that way. Once you figure out whether or not it works, reply back and we'll go from there.

As far as another issue I'm noticing:

You seem to have quite a few AntiVirus programs installed. While the thought would be that the more of these programs you have the more safe you are, sometimes these programs interfere with each other as all AntiVirus programs like to have all-inclusive access to your computer and when multiple ones come into play it can cause performance issues, and possibly, create this right click problem.

To resolve this: Choose a single AV program to keep installed and uninstall the others. I'm not going to tell you which ones to uninstall, but it's quite easy to Google the pros/cons between them.

brispuss

brispuss

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Thanks for the comments.

The anti-virus programs are not running in real-time protection, so I would have thought there would be no issues there(?)

I'll look into the Startup programs and see what happens.

Further details will be provided later when (if) there are further issues with Windows Explorer stopping unexpectedly (which may occur again within minutes, or might not occur again for weeks). Since the last incident of Windows Explorer stopping (when I posted the issue here), there have not been further occurrences (so far).

UnloosedCake

UnloosedCake

• PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

If the AV programs aren't all trying to protect your machine at the same time, that's certainly less likely to cause problems, so if it works for you and you resolve the right click problem, keep on trucking!