Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

cctv

cctv security

• Please log in to reply

richard11111

richard11111

• Pip
  • 1 posts

hi all i dont know if iam in the right place or even the right site but been trying to get my problem sorted for days with no luck iam not very good with pc phones but after trying for a long time i have managed to set up my cctv so i can see it on my laptop and samsug  galxley A5 2017 but when i leave my house i carnt see any thing it always says server unreachable people have tried to help but i just dont understand all the things there are say find this go here make no sense to me i really need to see the cameras when i am out  as i live in a high crime area and i have a disabled daughter i need to look out for when i am not there some one done all the port forwarding for so i can see cctv on laptop and phone but as soon as i go a few feet from the house nothing i would be very greatful for any help you could give me someone said something about it needs to be roaming but i dont understand any of that please someone help

many thanks

rich

Advertisements

UnloosedCake

UnloosedCake

• PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Hello richard11111,
:welcome:
My name is UnloosedCake, and I'm here to help you with this issue!

It appears to me that your issue is likely with your connection settings to the cameras themselves. Let me ask a few questions before we proceed:

• Do the cameras connect to your home WiFi network?
  • Do the cameras have their own management panel or web interface that you normally connect to, or is it an app/program that you have installed that allows you to view it? (i.e. do you open a program on your phone or computer, or do you have to open a browser and type in an IP address?)
  • How is your internal network set up? Do you use static or dynamic IP addressing? (Is DHCP enabled? What's the lease time?)

Please answer these questions and we can go on to the next step of solving these problems!

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts

Depending on the system you are using, the solution varies. Some systems are easier than others to allow for remote access.

It sounds like it works when you are home, using your local network, but once you leave that, then it can not connect, most likely because it does not know the IP address to use as it needs to use the IP address which is provided from your ISP (either static or dynamic). If you don't have a static IP address, it can be more complicated since you really need to use DDNS to access the system with a changing IP address.

Some systems connect to a remote server which makes it easy to connect to it remotely. It establishes the connection so that then you can contact the remote system (manufacturer's web site) that has a fixed IP address. Others you need to set it up and register with a DDNS service to be able to connect to it. Some manufacturers provide this service for free.

It can get really complicated.

What is the CCTV system (make/model) that you are using?

FYI, Samsung has smartcams which are easy to use and setup and uses a cell phone app to access them. I think that you can also access them with the correct computer (which I don't have as I don't use Windoze). Defender has a security system which also has easy external access.