Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Acer I-5 Laptop Screen Broke; HDMI to 40" screen need to jiggle in

broken laptop screen hdmi

• Please log in to reply

mikesullivan777

mikesullivan777

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Title: Acer I-5 Laptop Screen Broke; HDMI to 40" screen need to jiggle into port for 20 min. on average & turn tv off & on etc. to get Desktop screen-help:)

Background: my laptop screen broke over a year ago for the above brand and speed of laptops.

I run a relatively new HDMI cable into my 40 inch (non smart TV) flat screen which shows my computer desktop screen and all the logos including google chrome and the bottom right with the date & time & internet connection etc.

Often and this is frustrating...I have to take out the HDMI cable and put it back in because my screen which is on HDMI-1 says the message "no signal"

It's like pot luck where I randomly try pulling out the HDMI cable into my laptop's port and then pushing it in....sometimes halfway it works sometimes it don't.

Then I might have to pull my laptop monitor screen down and close it onto the keyboard of my laptop then flip it open where I see the orange reboot key on my computer that turns blue when turned on.

I was wondering if I can permanently fix this problem than take my chances each day trying different things sometimes turning off my TV then turning it on...?

I spend way too much time on this: an average of 20 minutes to just get the desktop on my screen so I can type in my password on the home screen instead I see that nagging "no signal" for 20 minutes.

As an aside, I find that putting on a Youtube video and then "looping" it around and around would prevent the laptop "desk top / home screen," from disappearing

I really don't want to buy a new screen for my make and model off Ebay, but if I do how much am I looking at in terms of parts and average labor?

Thanx in advance, for any constructive help.

Advertisements

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 990 posts

Hi Mike sullivan777 and welcome to our forums.

:welcome:

Sorry to hear of the problems with your laptop, I'll answer your questions as directly as I can ( see below) but before I start its important for you to understand that there may well be more problems with your laptop computer other than a broken screen.

A broken screen usually means that the laptop has been subject to some trauma, shock etc., caused by dropping, closing the screen on a pencil or other item, children playing with it thinking its a toy or other set of forces acting upon it taking it beyond its design considerations. It's likely therefore that other damage may also have been caused either to sensitive internal electronic components, hard drives, circuit boards, soldered connections and the like and the problem with the HDMI port not working consistently could be due to this sort of collateral damage.

You have some tough decisions to make... do you want to spend your cash on a repair/replacement parts ? or would the money be better put towards a new machine complete with 12 month guarantee etc.?

Now as to costs unfortunately you don't give us the model number of your Acer laptop computer ( there are many models that have been made over the years) however if you go to this site:

http://www.screens.u...AiAAEgIlXfD_BwE

it will give you a clue as to likely costs expressed in GBP (£) so it should be easy for you to convert to your local currency if different.

1 In the above site there is an embedded video showing how to replace the screen and on the model selected it is a relatively simple task, however please be aware that many models are not so easy to work on and removal of the keyboard and other components may well be required.

2 LCD non branded screens are often available from around £30 (GBP) or so, but the onus is always on you, to ensure that the screen that you purchase is truly compatible. If you purchase a genuine Acer factory replacement it's likely to be considerably more expensive.

3 The last screen replacement we did at our workshop cost around £60 for the "non original manufacturer  15.4 inch screen" and we charged £65 for labour.... if you are going to use a non local workshop to do the work then you will  need to factor in the cost of transport and safe packing for the 2 way trip and also any insurance you require. Please keep in mind that most workshops will guarantee their work for 90 days (3 months)

4  in regard to larger screens 17 inch etc., usually cost more...

I hope this helps in deciding the best course of action for you.

Regards

paws

mikesullivan777

mikesullivan777

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Thank you for the time you took to write all of that...unless you had a similar problem and cut and pasted it. LoL Jk...no really, it just seems like too much time and effort. I'd love a uniform routine on how to connect so that there is not a "no signal" on my HDMI - #1 so that the desktop screen will be on the 1st attempt. For example, 1) 1st do this 2) second do this __ 3) do this (all of the foregoing would have you connect the 1st time around and not have to wiggle the HDMI cable into the laptop port). I think I would pay more to buy another laptop sort of like taking my car to an auto mechanic shop rather than do it myself and save money. I'm the type of person who would pay more for quality and peace of mind. Thanks again, friend.

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 990 posts

You are most welcome

:thumbsup:  

Regards

paws

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

As an aside, I find that putting on a Youtube video and then "looping" it around and around would prevent the laptop "desk top / home screen," from disappearing

sounds to me like a simple case of going into your power options and setting them so the screen and laptop never turns off or goes to sleep.

https://support.wdc....er.aspx?ID=3875

:popcorn: