Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC doesn't POST anymore

post boot

• Please log in to reply

Dadapatata

Dadapatata

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
Hello.
In the last month i had occasionally a BSOD whenever the pc was inactive(OS is Windows 10).
I decided i was going to change the HDD in a few months(as an analisys confermed it had some errors because of age).

The situation changed 3 days ago: in the morning i started the pc and (before booting) it automatically started to diagnose and repair the system(don't know why).
After that it restarted and the nightmare began:now the pc continues to restart every ten seconds while showing on screen the BIOS (without text).

Here are the parts of the PC(apart from SSD and HDD)

PSU:Corsair RM 750W
GPU:Nvidia 1070
CPU:Intel i5 3330
RAM:8G 2Rx8 DDR3 1600 U
MOBO:Gigabyte GA-B75-D3V rev 1.2

After some researches online i found out that the pc doesn't POST,i tried many things,included the ones i ffound in this list
http://www.tomshardw...-video-problems

This are the results:
1)The manual doesn't say anything of importance
2)All the cables are correcly connected
3)I am doing breadbording on a non conductive surface
4,5)Checked,the results are the same if i use the integrated graphics or the old 950 or the 1070
6)I can't access the BIOS and i only have one stick of RAM.I tried all the 4 slots
7 to 10)OK
11)Ok,photo provided
12 to 14)OK
15)Breadbording so ok
16 to 21)OK
22)Tried integrated graphics,behaviour doesn't change
23)OK

Most importantly:
I cheked the mobo carefully,no signs of damage appear.
With only CPU installed,i hear a series of short beeps,with RAM also installed,no beeps are heard(remember that the mobo has integrated graphics).
POST beep is head only one time out of 20,even in this case the behaviour is the same(no boot).
I replaced GPU and PSU with the previous ones(changed them just to upgrade some months ago) but behaviour is still the same.

Here is a video of the behaviour:the CPU fan can't start in the first seconds and after 10 seconds the system automatically shuts down and restarts creating a loop.
https://www.youtube....&feature=you...

I also checked the CPU state and it appears undamaged(photos here)
http://imgur.com/a/zyPCE

My conclusions: PSU,GPU and RAM are surely good.With a probability of 90% the problem is the mobo,the remaining 10% is on the CPU.

Please tell me what is the problem or what i can do to discover it myself.

EDIT:Even without RAM inserted,the system automatically shuts down as usual.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

:welcome:    Dadapatata,

Good troubleshooting already done on your behalf  :thumbsup:

With only CPU installed,i hear a series of short beeps,with RAM also installed,no beeps are heard

This suggests that things are ok up to the point where the graphics are checked as part of the power on self test meaning that the power supply and RAM are ok.

Couple of questions if I may;

pc continues to restart every ten seconds while showing on screen the BIOS (without text).

You mention that you cannot access the BIOS, what exactly shows on the screen if no text.

Do you have or can you obtain a replacement CMOS battery.

Was the thermal compound properly cleaned off and a fresh application correctly applied.

Edit to add: Will the CPU cooling fan cable reach as far as the system fan header on the MB, if yes, try temporarily connecting the CPU cooling fan to it to see if the fan behavior is the same.

Dadapatata

Dadapatata

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Ehi Technician thanks for the fast reply.
1)The screen shows first the bios introduction screen with text saying things like "Press F9 to view system information",then it automatically changes to the effective BIOS screen(the colours on the background are correct but there is no text so i can't navigate it),then it restarts automatically.
2)I don't have a spare one but maybe my friend has it,today he is coming to my house to conduct some tests.

3)I bought the CPU 4 years ago,at that time i was not accostumed to desktop pcs so i have never changed the thermal paste(i know,i know).You can see by the photos the bad state of the paste.

4)I think you are talking about the case fan positioned near the CPU as the only fans present are that one,the one of the heatsink of the cpu and the one of the PSU.
  If i attach the case fan it works correctly but the cpu fan mantains the same behaviour

Edited by Dadapatata, 22 July 2017 - 06:49 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
3)I bought the CPU 4 years ago,at that time i was not accostumed to desktop pcs so i have never changed the thermal paste(i know,i know).You can see by the photos the bad state of the paste.

If the heatsink is never removed the thermal compound will most often last the lifetime of the computer but if the heatsink is removed the thermal compound must be properly removed and a fresh amount applied, if you do not do so the CPU will overheat and the computer shut down to protect the CPU from frying, a Toms thread here that adresses the issue, I would not power up the computer again until the paste has been removed and a fresh amount applied, see third generation i5 application guide here

If i attach the case fan it works correctly but the cpu fan mantains the same behaviour

If your case fan works when connected to the CPUs fan header on the MB you at least know that the fan header is ok.

At the moment you cannot do any further testing until the thermal compound application has been sorted, the computer is naturally going to shut down regardless of any other possible hardware fault that there may be.

You are welcome btw  :)

Dadapatata

Dadapatata

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Ok,i'll definitely buy some thermal paste and apply it ASAP, thank you.

I will keep you updated

Edited by Dadapatata, 22 July 2017 - 10:09 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

You should also ask around to see if anyone that you know has any rubbing alcohol in their medicine cabinet like the example here

You are welcome and thanks  :thumbsup:

Dadapatata

Dadapatata

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

In the event that changing the thermal paste doesn't work,what should i do?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

We will have to cross that bridge if/when we come to it, we know that poor thermal compound application will cause restarts so it it has to be sorted before doing anything else in any event.

Edit to add: We are always happy to help when we can but we cannot safely do so if you are already receiving assistance on any other forum, doing so may lead to confusion as to whose and what guidance you are following which can be both dangerous and costly, decide on which forum you wish to continue and as a courtesy let the other/s know that assistance is no longer required.

Thank you for your understanding.

You are already talking about replacing the MB in your thread on another forum here so will leave things with you until you decide which forum you are sticking with.

Dadapatata

Dadapatata

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

I didn't think it could be dangerous,you are right.I choose this thread for assistance,i have already told the others that assistance is not required anymore.

Edited by Dadapatata, 24 July 2017 - 12:24 AM.

Dadapatata

Dadapatata

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

I applied the thermal paste correctly but the behaviour is still the same

After cleaning the old thermal paste and before applying the new thermal paste,that center of the zone is slighlty darker then the bords,could it mean it overheated?
If yes,how  can i check it without having a spare CPU?

I also found that the 2 bios chips on the mobo have a strange red dot while the other chips don't.Is it a problem?

http://imgur.com/j6aayXA

Edited by Dadapatata, 24 July 2017 - 12:45 PM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Apologies for the delay getting back to you, been rather busy with work  :(

Thank you for your updates and for advising the other forum that assistance was no longer required  :thumbsup:

So you have cleaned off the old thermal compound and correctly reapplied a fresh amount but the behavior is the same.

From my reply #2;

Edit to add: Will the CPU cooling fan cable reach as far as the system fan header on the MB, if yes, try temporarily connecting the CPU cooling fan to it to see if the fan behavior is the same.

And from your reply #3;

4)I think you are talking about the case fan positioned near the CPU as the only fans present are that one,the one of the heatsink of the cpu and the one of the PSU.

Just so we have a clear picture as to what has been done testing the CPU fan, do you have three cooling fans, one for the CPU, one case fan and the one inside the PSU.

I have included a picture of your MB with the system fan header that it was suggested that you test your CPU cooling fan on, is this the one that you tested the CPU cooling fan on and the behaviour was the same.

The red dots on the other chips on the MB are not signs of any defect, chips are often marked in such a way or have a label atteched to them to signify that they have been tested and passed.

Dadapatata

Dadapatata

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

No problem. Now i will try what you suggested.
What i did before was connecting the cpu fan to the jumper of the case fan(SYS_FAN3 in my photo).

EDIT:Be careful,that scheme is not mine.This is the scheme for ga-b75m-d3h while my mobo is ga-b75-d3v and has a different scheme.

http://imgur.com/7E3jp4w

What should i do?

Edited by Dadapatata, 26 July 2017 - 10:54 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Try the sys fan 2 header by the 24 pin main power connection on the MB for us please.

Sorry about the mix up with the board, never noticed the difference at the Google results page here

As an asides Dadapatata, can you please answer each question asked;

So you have cleaned off the old thermal compound and correctly reapplied a fresh amount but the behavior is the same.

do you have three cooling fans, one for the CPU, one case fan and the one inside the PSU.

it was suggested that you test your CPU cooling fan on, is this the one that you tested the CPU cooling fan on and the behaviour was the same.

Was the behaviour still the same when the CPU fan was connected to the sys fan 3 header.

Dadapatata

Dadapatata

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

All the answers are yes,now i check SYS_FAN2

EDIT:The behaviour remains the same

Edited by Dadapatata, 26 July 2017 - 01:47 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Thanks for the update  :thumbsup:

One final check, try the case fan on the MBs CPU fan header to see if it runs ok (please leave the CPU fan connected to either of the sys fan headers while you do this.).