Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC doesn't POST anymore

post boot

• Please log in to reply

Dadapatata

Dadapatata

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

I do not understand,can you explain it in another way please?

EDIT:i understand

EDIT:The cas fan works correctly

Edited by Dadapatata, 26 July 2017 - 01:58 PM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Looks like your CPU cooling fan could be broken, this because the case cooling fan works ok on the CPU fan header but the CPU cooling fan does not work properly on any of the MBs fan headers, this would cause the MBs thermal sensor to shut down the computer to protect the CPU from frying, one thing that is odd though, you would normally get an on screen message warning of the thermal shutdown caused by CPU fan failure, have you ever had such a warning, if not, the setting may have been disabled in the BIOS.

All that you can do apart from simply replacing the present CPU fan is remove and test it using the methods demonstrated here

The fact that you get some sort of BIOS/display before the computer shuts down is hopefully a good sign. 

Dadapatata

Dadapatata

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

I gave 12 Volts DC to the cpu fan and it spins forever :( so it works correctly(i assume)

Edited by Dadapatata, 26 July 2017 - 02:56 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

12V is too much for testing the fan (9V is the max) but it spinning ok now points towards the CPU or CPU socket - worse case scenario is a short circuit.

A quick test that you can do if you have the heatsink removed, turn on the power to the motherboard for a second or so then turn it off and quickly feel the top of the processor to see if it feels hot to the touch.

Dadapatata

Dadapatata

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

It feels hot.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

That means that your CPU is not dead and that it is getting voltage through the MB.

Not convinced about the present cooling fan and if you can check for but see no chance that the heatsink or CPU is/are shorting out then I would recommend trying a new cooling fan and preferably one that ships with a cooler, example here please get your present cooling fan properly checked before making any purchase.

Please note that an incorrectly mounted heatsink can cause all sorts of problems so please make sure that yours is securely and correctly in place.

Dadapatata

Dadapatata

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

How can i check the fan if i am not a professional?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Take the fan to a local tech store or have an electrician test it with a multimeter, you cant do much else I`m afraid as you have done as much testing as you can with the present HS and cooling fan, if your fan checks out as being ok then as previously mentioned a system short could be the cause, in case you are not aware, too much or thermal compound on the CPU pins etc can also short out the system.

Dadapatata

Dadapatata

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

I have a multimeter so could i check it if i follow a tutorial(I am a telecommunications engineer so i did some electronics at school) ?
Btw isn't it better if i just let a specialized shop(which i know) analyze the pc and let me know what is the problem instead of letting someone analyze the fan?
I think it could require less time than all this things

Edited by Dadapatata, 26 July 2017 - 04:24 PM.

Dadapatata

Dadapatata

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

This morning the cpu fan didn't even start spinning so i made two tests:

1)If the fan is connected directly to the PSU it works perfectly

2)If it is connected to the PSU through the MOBO then the fan only receives 6.82V while the PSU erogates 12V DC correctly.

The behaviour is the same regarless of which PSU i use.

I am almost sure the problem is the MOBO,what do you think?

Edited by Dadapatata, 27 July 2017 - 04:45 AM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Hopefully not and based on the fact that the case cooling fan works ok on the MBs CPU fan header it looks like the board is good.

Dadapatata

Dadapatata

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

So now i can only change parts one by one and can't conduct more tests?

How can the MOBO be ok if now the cpu fan doesn't work if connected to the mobo?

This morning the cpu fan didn't even start spinning so i made two tests:

1)If the fan is connected directly to the PSU it works perfectly

2)If it is connected to the PSU through the MOBO then the fan only receives 6.82V while the PSU erogates 12V DC correctly.

The behaviour is the same regarless of which PSU i use.

Edited by Dadapatata, 29 July 2017 - 03:24 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
How can the MOBO be ok if now the cpu fan doesn't work if connected to the mobo?

From my reply #15;

One final check, try the case fan on the MBs CPU fan header to see if it runs ok (please leave the CPU fan connected to either of the sys fan headers while you do this.). 

And your reply #16;

I do not understand,can you explain it in another way please?

EDIT:i understand
EDIT:The cas fan works correctly

Your chassis fan working ok when connected to the CPU fan header on the MB suggests that your board is ok and the problem is elsewhere, your CPU cooling fan not working on any other fan header on the MB suggests that the CPU cooling fan is involved in some way, replacing or temporarily swapping in a compatible cooling fan is the easiest test that you have left.

Dadapatata

Dadapatata

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Ok,thank you for re-explaining.
Is this compatible with my cpu and mobo?I don't know how to check it.

It's from Intel btw

https://www.amazon.i...322451&sr=1-459

It says

• Intel Socket 775 original CPU Cooler
  • 4 pin mainboard with signal Tacho connection and control of speed
  • The radiator is ok for every 3.2 GHz Intel Dual Core CPU & Quad Core 
  • Dissipator in aluminium and copper nucleus

Edited by Dadapatata, 29 July 2017 - 04:09 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

You need a cooler that is compatible with socket 1155 processors, an example here