Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Recover old files from hard disk with so installed

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

selohu

selohu

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Hello good, I would like to get very deep search on a disk already formatted and with win installed. Try to recover old files. Could it be possible to recover files prior to the installation of win after the format ?. Thank you

Hello good, I would like to get very deep search on a disk already formatted and with win installed. Try to recover old files. Could it be possible to recover files prior to the installation of win after the format ?. Thank you

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,744 posts

Hello selohu,

If the HDD has already been formatted it is most unlikely that the average user will be able to recover any previous data, a data recovery company may offer to try for you but their services are extremely expensive.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

Also note that once a file has been overwritten, (as can happen when installing Windows or any other software), the original file is gone forever.

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Hm? I wonder...

I once had an external HDD that was reformatted by accident. Other data had been saved to it so for funnsies I used Recuva Portable downloaded to a USB just to see if anything was salvageable. Lucky me, I was able to recover a few of the images that were irreplaceable. I realize this might be a totally different situation and I am not saying it would work, but it is worth a try. I wouldn't expect to find what you are looking for in the location it once was, since, from my understanding when a file is deleted or a drive is formatted, the files are not completely destroyed. What is destroyed is the information about where the files are stored on your drive. Just a thought is all. If you do try this I would love to know the results either way.