Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Alternative program to SpeedFan for manually testing CPU/GPU fans.

Best Answer phillpower2 , 23 July 2017 - 03:34 PM

snowfun87, I read that SpeedFan doesn't always detect fans on branded systems as sometimes the manufacturers don't give the person who does SpeedFan the info needed for the progra... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

snowfun87

snowfun87

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Hi again everyone. 

I wanted to use SpeedFan to test my system fans but unfortunately it doesn't detect any of my fans. 
I read that SpeedFan doesn't always detect fans on branded systems as sometimes the manufacturers don't give the person who does SpeedFan the info needed for the program. I don't know whether thats correct or not.

Anyway, my PC is a DELL/Alienware Aurora R5 and I'd like to be able to manually adjust the speed of my fans for testing. Are there any other programs which have manual fan control other than SpeedFan? 

Thanks in advance.  :yes: 

Edited by snowfun87, 22 July 2017 - 11:11 PM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
✓  Best Answer

:welcome:   snowfun87,

I read that SpeedFan doesn't always detect fans on branded systems as sometimes the manufacturers don't give the person who does SpeedFan the info needed for the program. I don't know whether thats correct or not.

For any program to detect fan speeds the MB concerned needs to have the appropriate sensors to report the readings and to best control the cooling fans themselves the 4 pin type that are connected to 4 pin headers on the MB are best imo, they are referred to as pwm fans with pwm meaning pulse width modulation, see blog here

See if HWMonitor detects your fans, it cant control them but it will give us an idea of any options that you may or may not have.

Btw, you may find that your MB is a Pegatron, not the best and used by OEMs like Dell and HP etc to keep their costs down, budget boards = budget features I`m afraid :(  

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

I think your out of luck, many have the same issue, > https://www.reddit.c...ora_r5_without/

Comment center seems to be the only way.  > http://www.dell.com/...n&categoryId=AP

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Not heard back from you snowfun87, do you still require assistance, an update would be appreciated.