Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Win 10 does not boot anymore - error 0xc0000001

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

Paul432220

Paul432220

• PipPip
  • 78 posts

A few days ago my Lenovo desktop M93P started up and showed me the below message:

Your PC/Device needs to be repaired.
An unexpexted error has occured.

Error code 0xc0000001

You'll need to use recovery tools.
Press Enter to try again
Press F8 for Startup Settings
Press Esc for UEFI Firmware Settings

Trying again did not help. All options behind F8 brought me back to the above display.

I have then taken the following actions already:

1/ I ran all the Lenovo diag tools to see my C drive was still ok, nothing came out of this.

2/ Since i did not have the original install CD of Win 10, i created a USB recovery drive (key) on my Lenovo Thinkpad also running on W10.

I then booted this recovery usb key and already took the following actions

I booted from the recovery key, then  click Troubleshoot > Advanced Options > Command Prompt.

Then i ran the following commands:

Bootrec /fixmbr
Bootrec /fixboot
Bootrec /scanos
Bootrec /rebuildbcd
But the Bootrec /rebuildbcd wouldn’t work with a error  “The requested system device cannot be found”

Then i ran following commands:
diskpart
select disk 0
select vol 3 (this is my Efi partition that is formatted FAT32)
assign letter =G
bcdboot c:\windows /S G /f ALL

However, i am stil stuck with my error 0xc0000001...

All suggestions are appreciated.
Paul.

Advertisements

Paul432220

Paul432220

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
Hi Freebooter,
tx for the reply,

The startup repair tool (so when i boot from my c:\Windows drive cannot repair it (i tried this several times),
same accounts for starting in safe mode. This is one of the options behind the F8 key and this brings me almost immediately back the menu where the 00000°1 error is displayed.
I have no W10 setup media.... The only thing i have is the "recovery USB key" i created on another W10 PC.
Can i also run the SFC command from the "command prompt " after i boot with this recovery key (and then advanced tools \command prompt) ?
I'm currently not at home so i cannot test it right now...
thanks.
Paul

Paul432220

Paul432220

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

Hi Freebooter,

tx, I ran the sfc command, it runs for quite a time and then displayed a message saying: "Windows resource protection did not find any integrity violations"...

When i ran the "BCedit" command, i got a message saying that no boot configuration could be opened. Second message under this line " the requested system device cannot be found"

I ran the diskpart again and i see that i have on my C drive, 5 partitions of which 4 are hidden: Windows8_OS, WinRE_drv, System_drv, one with a blank label and finally also "Lenovo_reco".

The Windows8_OS comes from the fact that i bought the PC with W8 but upgraded it about 2 years ago with W10.

Thanks,

Paul

Paul432220

Paul432220

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

Hi FreeBooter,

The first command gives an issue, in the sense that it displays the full help of the command, so something is missing in t he above syntax, it looks to me from the displayed command syntax, that the /f parameter means you

should also have the /s parameter in the command, but what volume should i point the /S parameter to ?

Because of this issue, i did executed the 2nd command...

thanks, Paul

Paul432220

Paul432220

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

This command gives following return

"Failure when attempting to copy boot files"...

thanks.

Paul432220

Paul432220

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

My windows directory is indeed on the C drive (c:\windows), i can see it it the command prompt (when i booted the W10 rescue key)...

Not clear to me what you want me to do next, i just tried to run the bcdboot command from within the c:\windows directory, the result remains as i communicated higher...

thanks.

Paul432220

Paul432220

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

I attach a picture that shows what volumes i see after having started diskpart from the command prompt (booted with the USB recovery key i made).

The C disk is where my W10 is installed, the D drive is my data disk (no issues with that).

To be sure, what volume would be the EFI volume, the "system_drv" volume ?

thanks.

Paul432220

Paul432220

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

Tried setting the system volume active and then afterwards also the system partition, but message is identical, "the active command can only be used on fixed MBR disks"...

See also attached picture (where you only see this message for setting the system partition active)

thanks

Paul432220

Paul432220

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

Hi Freebooter,

Excellent news, after having executed the above commands, i restarted my PC, i got some intermediate messages from the PC saying he was correcting something

on the drive and then W10 started up like before. All my apps are there and at first sight, everything seems exactly as before.

Not clear to me why i saw these "correcting drive" messages as i ran a full Lenovo diag without any issues coming up.

Anyway i'm again up and running with this PC !

Thanks a lot for your support, appreciate it!

Cheers, Paul.