Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Digital ant in the screen of my mac

Screen ant virus

• Please log in to reply

himynameis

himynameis

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Hi, Unloosed Cake told me to make a post under this forum. I have just copied and pasted what I wrote in an off-topic forum so the following is our entire conversation so far.

Hi. Does anyone know anything about how an ant appeared on the screen of my mac? I was using my computer to read the paper when I noticed it had appeared on a picture, after that it just stayed there in the same place. It most definitely is not a real ant - for starters it is pixilated and it hasnt moved. Mysteriously I can't take a screen shot of it, I take the shot and no ant appears even though its there on my screen clear as day. Its rather large - about 7mm in length and its black and is sitting there just off centre. No matter what files or pages I open or close its always there. It's no problem really I just want to know how it got there and if anyone else has seen anything like this on their screens?

Hello himynameis,

My name is UnloosedCake, and I'm here to help you blast away your insect issues!

Does this ant only appear after a period of inactivity? Or does it stay there while you're actively using the computer?

Hi, Thanks for answering.  No its there in the same place all the time, no matter what files or pages I open.  It hasnt moved at all.  I saw it appear on a photo I was looking at on the internet and thought it was part of the photo. I was like 'Ha theres an ant in that photo, whats that doing there' then I realised... Once I closed that page it stayed there so its definitely not a real ant. It did not crawl across the screen or anything. It appeared there out of nowhere. Everything I find on the net is about real ants and this is not a real ant. It has no shadow.  Any ideas?

So to answer your question better - no, its there all the time while I actively use my computer. I can see it right now in the middle of the screen. I cant take a screen shot of it like I said. That is the wierdest thing if you ask me. Since I cant take a screenshot of it I have taken a photo of my computer screen and attached 2 photos.  Thanks for your help. Just thought to add - when I turn off the computer there is no ant there. It is definitely not real. 

I'm going to ask a question and make a suggestion:

When you mouse over the ant, can you clearly see the mouse or does it appear that the mouse is behind the ant?

I suggest you make a post in the Virus, Spyware and Malware removal forum. There's every possibility that there's something odd going on here, whether it's of malicious intent is unclear, but it's good to take a shot.

My answer to this is that it appears that the cursor is behind the ant. I have spent quite a bit of time looking at that with a number of different cursors (like the arrow and the finger ones) and the ant always appears to be above the cursor.

Anyone else got any ideas?

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0827 2.jpg
  • IMG_0826.jpg

Edited by himynameis, 27 July 2017 - 08:51 PM.

Advertisements

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,090 posts
Hello,

We don't address Mac virus problems in this forum our tools are only designed for windows computers.

May I suggest you try Malwarebytes for Mac

https://www.bleeping...alware-for-mac/

Thanks
Joe :)