Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Annoying competition redirection on Chrome, Galaxy S5

• Please log in to reply

shelleywa

shelleywa

• PipPip
  • 34 posts

Hi all,

I have an annoying problem when I'm using the chrome browser on my Samsung Galaxy S5 (and also on Chrome on my laptop) . I will be browsing the internet (usually when reading an article of some sort) and the browser will redirect to another page that has a competition on. It's a different one every time and it happens seemingly randomly (sometimes I can view a page OK, other times I get the redirection). And then it won't let me leave the page by hitting the "back" button - I have to close the entire tab to make it go away. The most recent one I got is in the attached screenshot of my phone.

What is this thing?! Is it a virus? Ransomware? How do I get rid of it??

Any help, much appreciated, thank you! 

Attached Thumbnails

• Screenshot_2017-07-27-11-13-44.png

Advertisements

shelleywa

shelleywa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

I don't want to use another browser. I use Chrome on my phone and laptop so that I can access all my bookmarks from both. Do you mean factory reset? Is there an app that can remove this kind of browser malware?