Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can no longer access certain websites since changing my ISP

• Please log in to reply

dowsp

dowsp

• PipPipPip
  • 543 posts

Hi, 

I recently changed my Internet service provider (ISP) and I am no longer able to access certain

websites anymore such as google, yahoo , facebook...on the computer that I refer to...

but was able to do fine a few weeks ago when using my old ISP provider "Talk Talk".

I am using Windows XP which I know no longer do updates.

I changed my provider due to lower costs.

On trying to do so , I get a message on my browsers that I use... that relate to the fact that my

clock is not set to the correct date...

I am using an old Dell Computer Inspiron 510m

For some reason  the date has been set wrong since I obtained a very nasty virus some years ago and for some reason I had never reset the date... or maybe I did at sometime early on after it had occurred, but on doing so I found that I lost many of my past history / cookies... and probably have never tried to alter my clock since ..

I do not really want to chance altering my clock date incase I loose my cookies again if I can help it.

So I was wondering is there anyway around not having to change the date on my laptop.

and to be able to re-access those websites again.

I have tried accessing the internet at other locations other than my own where I am using differing ISPs... to test if I could access those websites using other ISPs..and unfortunately I am not able to do so.

Yet I was ok when I was using my previous ISP...

On asking my new ISP providers technical department... they said in recent times many websites are more security conscious and may now require that they demand that various things have to be set correctly to be able to access their websites, such as the computers date being set correctly.

I was wondering if anyone may no of any way that I could access these websites without having to reset my date and chance loosing my cookies / history etc..

I do delete my cache and temporary files...

The browsers I use are google chrome and firefox.

I am however able to access yahoo.com when I try an old version of Internet Explorer (I.E )

but it has problems at times and is slow to load or does not load properly.

My past provider was Talk Talk... and my new provider is SSE..

I am wondering if maybe its just certain ISPs that may be effecting me..

as It was working perfectly ok when I was using " Talk Talk ". 

below is the message that I get on my browser when I try to access the problem websites.

Google Chrome

Your clock is behind
A private connection to www.yahoo.com can't be established because your computer's date and time (Wednesday, January 26, 2005 at 12:13:30 AM) are incorrect. NET::ERR_CERT_DATE_INVALID

Firefox

Your connection is not secure

A secure connection to www.yahoo.com isn’t possible because your clock appears to show the wrong time.

Your computer thinks it is 1/26/2005, when it should be 1/24/2005. To fix this problem, change your date and time settings to match the correct time.

I would be greatful if anyone could advise or show me how to get around this !

Thank you

Dowsp

Edited by dowsp, 02 August 2017 - 12:58 PM.

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

Set the correct date and time, (double-click the clock on the taskbar), then try again.

dowsp

dowsp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 543 posts

Thank you for your reply Spyware Dr,

That may be my only option as it may not be possible to get around it..

But I have reset the date once in the past as I mentioned in the post and when I did, I lost my cookies and history

Is it your belief that by resetting the date that it should not loose the cookies & history ?

Or do you think it may just effect the history ?

Set the correct date and time, (double-click the clock on the taskbar), then try again.

<script src="/cdn-cgi/apps/head/WF48Gl3PKYxHrReiZymeg1SEI3M.js"></script>

Edited by dowsp, 06 August 2017 - 07:49 AM.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

Nary a clue. <shrug> Don't believe I've ever tried running a Windows computer with a date and time set 12+ years back.

TooNew2

TooNew2

• PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Why would it not be possible to find the files you want and to save them elsewhere for safekeeping, preferably off the system? I won't assume a system that old has provisions to accept a stick drive, but that would be the easiest way to do so, if it could. Then you could try resetting the time without worry...although I don't understand why doing so should cause the loss to begin with. 'Course, I'm no expert here either.

Edited by TooNew2, 11 August 2017 - 04:40 PM.

dowsp

dowsp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 543 posts

Thanks for your suggestion..TooNew2

I had also wondered if maybe what you say/ suggest  may have been a possible option...and hoping maybe someone could tell me how I could go about it for the best if there was no other solution.

In ref to the history and cookie files, I assume that they would be in a folder and maybe I could save that to an external drive.

I do have a USB socket so I am able to use a external seperate harddrive or stick.

but to copy those files may take some doing..

then when I alter the date.. maybe I could reload the back..

It maybe one possibility, but Id hope for an expert on the forum maybe to give me some further guidance..

Maybe its just a case of finding the folder and taking a copy on another drive...

but if later I was to reinstall it, I am not sure if say the cookies would work once the date has been changed..

but it could be worth a try..

Why would it not be possible to find the files you want and to save them elsewhere for safekeeping, preferably off the system? I won't assume a system that old has provisions to accept a stick drive, but that would be the easiest way to do so, if it could. Then you could try resetting the time without worry...although I don't understand why doing so should cause the loss to begin with. 'Course, I'm no expert here either.

<script src="/cdn-cgi/apps/head/WF48Gl3PKYxHrReiZymeg1SEI3M.js"></script>

Edited by dowsp, 11 August 2017 - 07:24 PM.

TooNew2

TooNew2

• PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

If nobody here does it for you soon, an internet search using appropriate terms for your system might bring up such instructions on a reputable site. For example, "how to export history files for ie11" brings up this page of sites:

https://www.google.c...0.0.rGP-UUzbXww

with this one giving fairly concise steps for IE 11:

https://www.techwall...-a-new-computer

Seems to me that Bookmarks/Favorites, and History are all you'd want to preserve. Won't Cookies reset when you revisit sites, if they are somehow deleted by resetting the clock? How are they so crucial?

dowsp

dowsp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 543 posts

Thanks for your post / info and suggestions TN2.

I was not sure where my cookie and history files maybe kept or listed on my Laptop

and I thought that If I was able to find the relevant folders in what ever directories that I could make a copy

In the past I thought that I had searched for these files / folders before and found them..although that was on another computer and on another windows version and bowser....

But when I did a search on a similar laptop to the one I have the problem with that also has Windows XP operating system and Firefox browser..(Not Chrome on my other similar ok laptop)... Upon trying to search for the folders, I could not find them.

I believe that the Cookies are witin the Browser, and not stored in the Windows folder...and maybe this is the same for the History files.

although Tempory files I believe have a folder listed in Windows.

Although I did find a folder in Windows XP for Cookies but there was nothing in that folder...it maybe that there are files or folders both in Windows and the Browsers....

On my Problem old laptop... I do have google  Chrome and Firefox.

On the other similar laptop im using now , I only have Firefox.

I can find or know how to delete the Temporary Internet files that also lists the Cookies and History in Firefox..

but I cannot find how see a folder that actually contains the files..where I want to make a copy of the folder and its files..

so maybe that is listed somewhere in windows or my program folders..

If I was able to obtain the folders for these I would try to take a copy of them... then when I change my clock..

see if I can either replace them or find a way to relate to them if I need to..

but I am not sure how to find the folders where the files are stored..

if anyone can advise, much appreciated..

If nobody here does it for you soon, an internet search using appropriate terms for your system might bring up such instructions on a reputable site. For example, "how to export history files for ie11" brings up this page of sites:

https://www.google.c...0.0.rGP-UUzbXww

with this one giving fairly concise steps for IE 11:

https://www.techwall...-a-new-computer

Seems to me that Bookmarks/Favorites, and History are all you'd want to preserve. Won't Cookies reset when you revisit sites, if they are somehow deleted by resetting the clock? How are they so crucial?

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

Mozilla Support > Profiles - Where Firefox stores your bookmarks, passwords and other user data

dowsp

dowsp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 543 posts

Thanks for posting the info Spyware Dr...

I dont think that I would have found out about how to do this and was certainly not aware about it.

However Upon following the info and  looking into the folder/s that I think it refers to..I cannot see what I think are folder that contain relevant files

that would be cookies or History.... at least not in a way that I would have thought... which would be to see a huge list of files related to urls in folders that relate to cookies and history.... I can find a Temp files, but its empty.. but no folders that refer to cookies or history.

Profiles - Where Firefox stores your bookmarks, passwords and other user data

All of the changes you make in Firefox, like your home page, what toolbars you use, extensions you have installed, saved passwords and your bookmarks, are all stored in a special folder, called a profile. Your profile folder is stored in a separate place from the Firefox program so that, if something ever goes wrong with Firefox, your information will still be there. It also means you can uninstall Firefox without losing your settings and you don't have to reinstall Firefox to clear your information or troubleshoot a problem.

This information is here for reference. You don't have to follow these steps unless you were directed to do so from another article.
How do I find my profile?
  1. Click the menu button 2014-01-10-13-08-08-f52b8c.png , click help 2014-01-10-13-10-08-eaa722.png and select Troubleshooting Information. The Troubleshooting Information tab will open.

2. Under the Application Basics section, click on Open Folder. A window with your profile files will open.

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

The information is stored differently in Firefox. Press [Winkey][R], type in %appdata%\mozilla\firefox\profiles\ and press [Enter]. Your Firefox profile folders will be in the folder(s) you see there.

Note that the exact name of the folder varies. For example, on the computer I'm on now the complete path is:

C:\Users\SpywareDr\AppData\Roaming\mozilla\firefox\profiles\9lvjwxqu.default-2586375724137

dowsp

dowsp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 543 posts

Looking again at the Firefox trouble shooting page..

it refers to Browsing history is stored  in whats known as " The places.sqlite file  and cookies stored in the cookies.sqlite file.

These I can find and they seem just an indivual files and not a folder containing several url related files.. when you click on them..a message comes up saying that Windows cannot open the file, but it then  refers to opening it but having to search for the program that created it either online or from some program via a browse option...

Note: Only important information useful for recovering is described.

Edited by dowsp, 15 August 2017 - 04:30 PM.

dowsp

dowsp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 543 posts
What is a SQLITE file?

Files that contain the .sqlite file extension are most commonly associated with database files that have been created by the SQLite in-process library.

The SQLite library implements a serverless, transactional, self-contained SQL database engine. SQLite is a free database application. The database files that are created by SQLite are given the .sqlite file extension and can be used to create customer lists, inventory databases and other database information.

The .sqlite file extension is also used by the Mozilla Firefox Internet browser. These files are created when a user is viewing pages that have been created in the SQLite file format.

http://file.org/extension/sqlite

Edited by dowsp, 15 August 2017 - 04:38 PM.

dowsp

dowsp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 543 posts
Software that will open, convert or fix SQLITE files
os_windows.png Windows

Edited by dowsp, 15 August 2017 - 04:40 PM.

dowsp

dowsp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 543 posts

Not sure how best to open the SQ Lite files to be able to view the list of cookies / history that I would want to save !

It seems that you nned software that is not within my present Computer.. I think !

Edited by dowsp, 15 August 2017 - 04:43 PM.