I recently changed my Internet service provider (ISP) and I am no longer able to access certain
websites anymore such as google, yahoo , facebook...on the computer that I refer to...
but was able to do fine a few weeks ago when using my old ISP provider "Talk Talk".
I am using Windows XP which I know no longer do updates.
I changed my provider due to lower costs.
On trying to do so , I get a message on my browsers that I use... that relate to the fact that my
clock is not set to the correct date...
I am using an old Dell Computer Inspiron 510m
For some reason the date has been set wrong since I obtained a very nasty virus some years ago and for some reason I had never reset the date... or maybe I did at sometime early on after it had occurred, but on doing so I found that I lost many of my past history / cookies... and probably have never tried to alter my clock since ..
I do not really want to chance altering my clock date incase I loose my cookies again if I can help it.
So I was wondering is there anyway around not having to change the date on my laptop.
and to be able to re-access those websites again.
I have tried accessing the internet at other locations other than my own where I am using differing ISPs... to test if I could access those websites using other ISPs..and unfortunately I am not able to do so.
Yet I was ok when I was using my previous ISP...
On asking my new ISP providers technical department... they said in recent times many websites are more security conscious and may now require that they demand that various things have to be set correctly to be able to access their websites, such as the computers date being set correctly.
I was wondering if anyone may no of any way that I could access these websites without having to reset my date and chance loosing my cookies / history etc..
I do delete my cache and temporary files...
The browsers I use are google chrome and firefox.
I am however able to access yahoo.com when I try an old version of Internet Explorer (I.E )
but it has problems at times and is slow to load or does not load properly.
My past provider was Talk Talk... and my new provider is SSE..
I am wondering if maybe its just certain ISPs that may be effecting me..
as It was working perfectly ok when I was using " Talk Talk ".
below is the message that I get on my browser when I try to access the problem websites.
I would be greatful if anyone could advise or show me how to get around this !
Edited by dowsp, 02 August 2017 - 12:58 PM.