Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

how do I perform maintenance on my old laptop?

Best Answer mrpooh3 , 26 August 2017 - 02:06 AM

Hi RKinner,After me spending all that time fixing his laptop up,he decides he wants a new one!At least mines is fully back in action and speedwise it is now like a bullet.Thanks for all the help yo... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP

same as you did for speccy

First click on More Reply Options
Then scroll down to where you see
Choose File and click on it.  Point it at the file and hit Open.
Now click on Attach this file.
But of more use would be:

Device Manager then View, Show Hidden Devices.  Now look in the right pane for yellow flagged devices.  Right click on one and select properties then click on the Details tab.  Change Property to Hardware IDs.  Click on the top one then right click and copy.  Paste that into a reply.  Repeat for all yellow flagged devices.

Advertisements

mrpooh3

mrpooh3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

same as you did for speccy

First click on More Reply Options
Then scroll down to where you see
Choose File and click on it.  Point it at the file and hit Open.
Now click on Attach this file.
But of more use would be:

Device Manager then View, Show Hidden Devices.  Now look in the right pane for yellow flagged devices.  Right click on one and select properties then click on the Details tab.  Change Property to Hardware IDs.  Click on the top one then right click and copy.  Paste that into a reply.  Repeat for all yellow flagged devices.

Hi,There appears to be 4 that I have't installed ,they are as follows>>

Intel ICH9  Family SMbus controller 2930

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2930&SUBSYS_048A1025&REV_03
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2930&SUBSYS_048A1025
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2930&CC_0C0500
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2930&CC_0C05

numeric data processor

ACPI\PNP0C04
*PNP0C04

Programmable interrupt controller

ACPI\PNP0000
*PNP0000

System Timer

ACPI\PNP0100
*PNP0100

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP

I think you need the intel chipset utility.

Your PC maker's support page should have it but if not you can get one from intel

https://downloadcent...llation-Utility

mrpooh3

mrpooh3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

I think you need the intel chipset utility.

Your PC maker's support page should have it but if not you can get one from intel

https://downloadcent...llation-Utility

Hi RKinner,

I downloaded the Intel Update Utility but that said no drivers found and guided me to the Acer support site...this time I searched for my model using the ssnid and downloaded the win7 64  chipset driver and it says installed successfully,however when I check these four in device manager they still say no drivers installed.

When I tried to update the driver manually it shows a generic microsoft driver and says driver up to date.

I installed the chipset when I originally installed the drivers when doing the fresh install but I think I installed them before windows was fully up to date.

Could I un-install the chipset driver and re-install to see if that would fix it?

I received a new battery this morning and it is charging at the moment so hopefully that is the battery issue sorted.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP

Right click on each driver and uninstall.  (Do not let it remove the drivers if it asks)

Reboot.

Sometimes that is all you need to do.

mrpooh3

mrpooh3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Hi,I uninstalled the 4 drivers and rebooted.

On Reboot it shows on the bottom right that two installed successfully but in device manager the 4 of them still say no driver installed for this device.

Have I made a mistake installing the drivers when I installed the system?

I went through device manager again and checked every driver and they all say device working properly and only those 4 say they have no drivers installed....could it possibly be the new memory stick causing some kind of error?

Edited by mrpooh3, 19 August 2017 - 08:51 AM.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP

See if the link on this page works for the second one

https://h30434.www3....-0/td-p/3127651

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP

And in addition to my last post try:

https://h30434.www3....v7/td-p/1880059

for the third device.

mrpooh3

mrpooh3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

And in addition to my last post try:

https://h30434.www3....v7/td-p/1880059

for the third device.

Hi,

Unfortunately they won't install they give the message not supported by this device.

Should I re-format and try and install drivers again?

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP

Seems a bit harsh.  Drivers usually do not require that.  Normally you install windows then the chipset then any other drivers your PC Maker's support site offers that make sense.

Don't think it's the memory either.

Check with intel and see if they have any other drivers for you:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/

Then follow the automatically update drivers link.

Advertisements

mrpooh3

mrpooh3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Seems a bit harsh.  Drivers usually do not require that.  Normally you install windows then the chipset then any other drivers your PC Maker's support site offers that make sense.

Don't think it's the memory either.

Check with intel and see if they have any other drivers for you:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/

Then follow the automatically update drivers link.

Hi RKinner,

I downloaded the intel utility again but it still says no drivers to update and then it links straight to Acers support site.

I think I installed my chipset drivers while windows was not fully updated so perhaps that is the cause?

Should I try a free driver update utility or would you recommend to stay clear of driver update software? >>  https://www.lifewire...r-tools-2619206

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP

Which PC are we working on now?  Make & Model

mrpooh3

mrpooh3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Which PC are we working on now?  Make & Model

Hi,

My Dads Laptop...my DELL is out of action until I install the new SSD into it.(waiting on a spacer)

His laptop which I am currently using is an Acer Travelmate 5735.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP

Sorry for the delay.  Fell asleep on the couch.

Had to go to the Acer UK site to find the PC drivers. 

Did you install the SATA AHCI Driver  https://www.acer.com...roduct/3385?b=1

mrpooh3

mrpooh3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Sorry for the delay.  Fell asleep on the couch.

Had to go to the Acer UK site to find the PC drivers. 

Did you install the SATA AHCI Driver  https://www.acer.com...roduct/3385?b=1

Hi,no worries.

I'm just very grateful for all your help,I'm not in any hurry either so please don't prioritize me over anyone with a malware problem or something serious like that.

I have already installed that driver it is the Rapid Storage Technology Driver.

I just installed bluetooth driver which I initially missed but still has no effect.

Device Manager does not show any yellow exclamation marks and I only found these missing drivers by going through every one and clicking properties.

When I look in the intel ICH9 Family SMBus controller-2930 properties it says no device installed for this device and in resources it says The device isn't using any resources because it has a problem.

Numeric Data Processor also says no driver installed and in resources it says no conflicts.

Programmable Interrupt Controller is the same no driver installed and in resources it has no conflicts.

System Timer also says no drivers installed for this device and in resources it has no conflicts.

Update: I manually updated  intel ICH9 Family SMBus controller-2930 and it updated although it still says no drivers installed in resources it now says no conflicts.

I'm not going to worry about the drivers just now because it seems to be working fine.....I will probably re-format in the future anyway when I upgrade the HD to an SSD in this one aswell when I have the money.

After seeing the speed improvement in this laptop via an extra stick of RAM I purchased a 2nd hand 8gb set to see if it will improve it any further.

As I said I might install an SSD into this one depending on howl well it will work in my DELL.

The only other thing I can do to my Dads then is upgrade the processor.

I have a 2nd hand Intel Core2Duo P8700 Socket P series 2.53ghz 3mb SLGFE sitting here but am not sure if it will be compatible.

Can you tell me how I can find out which processors can be put in this laptop and which is the fastest it can take?

I am also going to upgrade my DELL E5420's processor in the near future aswell that way I won't be bothering about buying a new laptop for another couple of years unless it packs in of course.

Edited by mrpooh3, 20 August 2017 - 04:38 PM.