Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

how do I perform maintenance on my old laptop?

Best Answer mrpooh3 , 26 August 2017 - 02:06 AM

Hi RKinner,After me spending all that time fixing his laptop up,he decides he wants a new one!At least mines is fully back in action and speedwise it is now like a bullet.Thanks for all the help yo... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP

You might try the BIOS.

Advertisements

mrpooh3

mrpooh3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

You might try the BIOS.

Hi RKinner,

So far all I know about cpu upgrading is that the motherboard and chipset has to support it with Socket type,TDP and FSB speeds matching and the BIOS has to support it aswell,is this correct and if so what other things do I need to make sure of?

According to speccy my motherboard is an ACER BA51_MV with Socket uPGA-478 with mobile express chipset 4 (G45/G47).

I found this online http://hwbot.org/har...45#key=socket_p but am not sure if I am looking at the correct motherboard?

If this is correct then am I right in saying that all these CPU's will work as long as the BIOS will support the chip also?

Will I have to get in touch with ACER to find out if the BIOS will support the chip?

thanks.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP

I don't know much about upgrading but what you listed sounds good to me.  The problem I see is the BIOS.  If it really comes from ACER and not one of the big BIOS makers then it may not have a long list of CPUs that it understands.  

mrpooh3

mrpooh3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

I don't know much about upgrading but what you listed sounds good to me.  The problem I see is the BIOS.  If it really comes from ACER and not one of the big BIOS makers then it may not have a long list of CPUs that it understands.  

The last BIOS is from 2011 so you are probably right.

I e-mailed them so hopefully they will get back to me with a list of compatible cpu's.

It really angers me that a lot of these computer companies such as DELL and ACER etc. stop supporting old pc's and laptops after only a few years.

My Latitude e5420 came out in 2011 I think and they ended it's support in 2014.

Edited by mrpooh3, 20 August 2017 - 06:24 PM.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP

If you go in to Computer and select System Properties then Windows Experience Index it will show you where it thinks the bottlenecks are.  

This is my HP All-in-one.

As you can see the next upgrade for it would be a processor upgrade.  I've already given it more RAM and an SSD.  They made a big difference in the speed.  Since I don't do anything with this other than work on the forums it's more than adequate as it is.

mrpooh3

mrpooh3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Hi RKinner,

I received my Spacer yesterday and installed the SSD into my DELL and a fresh install of windows 7 pro.....All the correct drivers are also installed and I'm glad to say it is running absolutely great.

I also received word back from ACER and unfortunately the current CPU in my Dad's laptop is the best that can be installed according to them.

The only thing I can do then is upgrade my Dad's from 4gb to 8gb RAM and install and SSD(not really sure though if it will be worth it)

I would like to upgrade the CPU in my E5420 but I'll also need to find out if it can take a better CPU.

I am considering buying a new base for the E5420 as the current one has cracks all over but it looks quite a job as everything would need to be pulled out of it.

Anyway thanks for all the great help and info you provided,much appreciated.

:cheers:

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP

I think fixing the driver problem on your Dad's PC will make a world of difference.

Try

See if you can run DPC Latency Checker:

The download is:

Just download, save and run it by right click and run as admin.

I assume you will see some  red columns as in the  second picture.

If that is the case try their section on 

Analysing drop-out problems with DPC Latency Checker

and see if you can find which driver is causing the red columns.  Note their warning about which drivers you should not disable.

If you find one, leave it disabled and run a process explore log.  Remember to wait 60 seconds to let it settle before saving the log.  If you have to renable the driver to post that'

For your new install:

System Update Readiness Tool for Windows 7

This link is for 64 bit:

This one for 32 bit:

Once that runs then get

KB3083710 and KB3102810

This can speed up the Windows Update process considerably.

For your SSD, look on the maker's website.  They usually have special software for maintenance which also helps set up Windows for the SSD.

This is my standard goodbye speech:

Time to clean up:

To delete the Quarantine Folder used by FRST (if we ran a FRST FIX) create a fixlist.txt file with just the following line:

DeleteQuarantine:

Save the fixlist.txt to the same folder as FRST then run FRST and hit Fix.  You can easily delete any other folders and logs.

If we installed Speccy it needs to be uninstalled.  Process Explorer, VEW, AdwCleaner, JRT  and their logs and Speccy's log can just be deleted.

Also make sure you have the latest versions of any adobe.com products you use like Shockwave, Flash or Acrobat.  Flash is now the most malware targeted program so it must be kept up to date.  Be careful with Adobe.  They are fond of offering optional downloads like yahoo or Ask toolbars or that worthless McAfee Security Scan.  Go slow and uncheck the optional stuff.

Whether you use adobe reader, acrobat or fox-it to read pdf files you need to disable Javascript in the program.  There is an exploit out there now that can use it to get on your PC.  For Adobe Reader:  Start, All Programs, Adobe Reader, Edit, Preferences, Click on Javascript in the left column and uncheck Enable Acrobat Javascript.  OK Close program.  It's the same for Foxit reader except you uncheck Enable Javascript Actions. 

If you use Chrome/Firefox then get the Ublock Origin  Add-on from https://www.ublock.org/.  For IE go to adblockplus.org  and get the add-on.  (It's actually a program for IE)

If Chrome/Firefox is slow loading make sure it only has the current Java add-on.  Then download and run Speedy Fox.
http://www.crystalidea.com/speedyfox.  Close Chrome/Firefox/Skpe. Hit Optimize.   You can run it any time that Chrome/Firefox seems slow starting..

To prevent a relatively new phishing attack:  In Firefox, type:

about:config

in the URL box and hit Enter.  You should get a new page of options (if you get a notice about voiding the warranty just cancel the warning).  In the Search box put in 

puny

You should only get one option:
network.IDN_show_punycode
We want it to say True but by default it is False so double click on it to toggle from False to True.
Close and restart firefox.

To test it you can go to:

If the value is false you will see https://www.apple.cominstead of the correct value

If you are a Facebook user get the FB Purity extension for your browser:
This will stop all of the suggested pages and ads so that Facebook loads much quicker.

Be warned:  If you use Limewire, utorrent or any of the other P2P programs you will probably be coming back to the Malware Removal forum.  If you must use P2P then submit any files you get to http://virustotal.combefore you open them.

Due to a recent rise in the number of Crytolocker infections I am now recommending you install:

CryptoPrevent

The free version does not update on its own so you should check for updated versions once in a while. When you install it the default is NONE which is kind of worthless so change it to Standard or default. If you have problems after installing CryptoPrevent you can just uninstall it.

If you have a router, log on to it today and change the default password!  If using a Wireless router you really should be using encryption on the link.  Use the strongest (newest) encryption method that your router and PC wireless adapter support especially if you own a business.  See http://www.king5.com...0637284.htmlandhttp://www.seattlepi...ted-1344185.php for why encryption is important.  If you don't know how, visit the router maker's website.  They all have detailed step by step instructions or a wizard you can download.

Special note on Java.  Old Java versions should be removed after first clearing the Java Cache by following the instructions in:
Then remove the old versions by going to Control Panel, Programs and Features and Uninstall all Java programs which are not Java Version 7 update 25 or better.  These may call themselves: Java Runtime, Runtime Environment, Runtime, JRE, Java Virtual Machine, Virtual Machine, Java VM, JVM, VM, J2RE, J2SE.  Get the latest version from Java.com.  They will usually attempt to foist some garbage like the Ask toolbar, Yahoo toolbar or McAfee Security Scan on you as part of the download.  Just uncheck the garbage before the download (or install) starts.  If you use a 64-bit browser and want the 64-bit version of Java you need to use it to visit java.com.
Due to multiple security problems with Java we are now recommending that it not be installed unless you absolutely know you need it.  IF that is the case then go to Control Panel, Java, Security and slide it up to the highest level.  OK.

mrpooh3

mrpooh3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Hi RKinner,

I haven't had a chance to look at the latency thingy yet but I'm going to my parents today so will try it then.

I had a look in Device Manager on my DELL E5420 with a freshly installed Windows 7 and although there are no yellow exclamation marks the same 4 drivers say not installed in the properties.(Same as the ACER)

This makes me think this could be something to do with windows or is it possible that the manufacturers drivers are outdated?

When I done the fresh install on the DELL I installed the chipset driver straight after windows was installed on it and installed the rest of the drivers right after the chipset.....I done this with the ACER aswell so I'm sure both have all the correct and latest manufacturers drivers installed.

I decided I am not going to upgrade the ACER Travelmate further as the CPU can't be upgraded but I might install an i7-2620m in my DELL in the future and I would like to replace the bottom base but that involves taking everything out of it and I'm not sure if I am confident enough to do it.

I'll post back later about the latency on my Dads Laptop.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP
Try installing TeamViewer on your dad's PC.  Then you can remote control it when he has problems.

mrpooh3

mrpooh3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts
✓  Best Answer

Hi RKinner,

After me spending all that time fixing his laptop up,he decides he wants a new one!

At least mines is fully back in action and speedwise it is now like a bullet.

Thanks for all the help you gave me.

All the best!

Advertisements