Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CPU gets too hot.

overheat cpu

Best Answer RKinner , 05 August 2017 - 05:51 AM

Which thermal paste did you use and what did you use to clean the old paste off with?  A desktop with a  good cooler should be running about 40C at idle (verify that you have nothing load... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

VallyZ

VallyZ

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Ok.So my cpu gets too hot when playing video games and even in idle its stays too hot.Two days ago i had an old pc case without any fans, and an intel stock cooler.When i started playing a game that is a little bit demanding, the cpu would heat up and at about 100°C.At that temperature i could play for about 5-10 min, it would lose the monitor signal, and wont recover only after restart.

Now i have a 5 fan case, and a new cooler:

Even with these,there is something wrong with the pc.In idle its stays at around 60°C-70°C, and in game it oscilates between 100°C and 105°C, 105°C beeing the max temperature.This time it wont lose the monitor's signal when it gets hot and i'm playing for a while.

I keep thinking that i might have not applied the thermal paste correctly and this might lead to the hight temperature.

The CPU is an i7 3770 3.4Ghz and i think its overcloked.The core speed stays at 3890.19 MHz at a multiplier of x39.Maybe undoing the overclocking might cool the cpu a little?But i dont want to lose too much of the performance from when it's overclocked.

I posted some screenshots that might help.(Edit:The screenshots are made while in idle, not gaming)

If any of you can help me I will be grateful.

Also, if you need anyother information about my pc replay, and ill tell you what you need.

Thank you.

Attached Thumbnails

• Capture.PNG
  • Capture2.PNG
  • Capture3.PNG

Edited by VallyZ, 05 August 2017 - 02:07 AM.

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP
✓  Best Answer

Which thermal paste did you use and what did you use to clean the old paste off with?  A desktop with a  good cooler should be running about 40C at idle (verify that you have nothing loading the PC by opening Task Manager and looking at Processes.  System Idle should be above 90%) and should normally stay under 65 when gaming.

I always use the Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound 3.5 Grams with ArctiClean 60 ML Kit

Price: $11.36 at Amazon.  Instructions for cleaning and applying are at:http://www.arcticsil...om/methods.html

VallyZ

VallyZ

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Which thermal paste did you use and what did you use to clean the old paste off with?  A desktop with a  good cooler should be running about 40C at idle (verify that you have nothing loading the PC by opening Task Manager and looking at Processes.  System Idle should be above 90%) and should normally stay under 65 when gaming.

I always use the Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound 3.5 Grams with ArctiClean 60 ML Kit

Price: $11.36 at Amazon.  Instructions for cleaning and applying are at:http://www.arcticsil...om/methods.html

I used the thermal paste that came with the cooler. I cleaned the old paste with medical alcohol.I clean it again and reaply the paste, to make sure i didnt put to much on the cooler.

Edited by VallyZ, 05 August 2017 - 06:24 AM.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP

Read the instructions in http://www.arcticsil...om/methods.htmlto make sure you used the right amount and that you cleaned it enough. If you don't get the temps down you will be buying a new CPU soon.

Interesting enough the stuff needs to cool off several times for best results so make sure you turn off the PC for an hour or two before you turn it on again.

VallyZ

VallyZ

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Read the instructions in http://www.arcticsil...om/methods.htmlto make sure you used the right amount and that you cleaned it enough. If you don't get the temps down you will be buying a new CPU soon.

Interesting enough the stuff needs to cool off several times for best results so make sure you turn off the PC for an hour or two before you turn it on again.

I cleaned and reaplied the thermal paste again and now runs at 50°C-60°C.It is an improvement i guess.Dont know what else i could do..I checked and the paste is applied correctly.It truely might be something wrong with the CPU..guess it will run untill it will stop working..

Edited by VallyZ, 05 August 2017 - 07:47 AM.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP

Are you sure the cooler fan is installed correctly? Blowing the right way?  Is the heatsink mounting tight?  Are you using the 4 screws to mount it or just the flimsy spring that clamps it on.  When you changed out the cooler did you use the hardware that came with it or reuse the old?  I replaced my cooler with one that looks like yours.  It used the spring clip and I made the mistake of using the old hardware instead of the new that came with it.  Never really got as tight as it should have been.

I would try the  Arctic Silver 5 kit.  Lot cheaper than a new CPU.

VallyZ

VallyZ

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Are you sure the cooler fan is installed correctly? Blowing the right way?  Is the heatsink mounting tight?  Are you using the 4 screws to mount it or just the flimsy spring that clamps it on.  When you changed out the cooler did you use the hardware that came with it or reuse the old?  I replaced my cooler with one that looks like yours.  It used the spring clip and I made the mistake of using the old hardware instead of the new that came with it.  Never really got as tight as it should have been.

I would try the  Arctic Silver 5 kit.  Lot cheaper than a new CPU.

I mounted the coller the same way the guy in the video did, with 2 screws on each "leg",the fan facing right, just like in the video.It should be mounting tight because it doesen't go further down on the CPU, i pushed the cooler and the 4 "legs" as much as it went, and it doesent move at all.I didnt use anything from the old cooler, and the fan its the one already mounted on the cooler.As i said before,the temperatures are a bit lower than yesterday if i replaced the thermal paste and switched the side the fan was on(yesterday it was facing left, face to face with a case fan).Now idle it's like 55-60 C and tested 2 games(grim dawn-85 C and League of Legends 80).Yesterday in LoL the temperatures went even to 95-100C.Now, i didn't tested the game(last Assassin's Creed) in wich yesterday i had 105 C, because.., if i see the temperature around that 105,it will mess around with my nerves, and what you dont know, can't hurt you :D ,but i will eventually test that game too :D

EDIT: well well.So far so good.I played it for like 10 mins and it stayed between 80 and 85 C.Yesterday it wouldnt resist this much playtime at this "low" temperature.

Edited by VallyZ, 05 August 2017 - 02:05 PM.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP

Looks like it should be tight.  I'd try the Arctic Silver 5 kit.  They really stress the importance of getting rid of all old paste.

VallyZ

VallyZ

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Looks like it should be tight.  I'd try the Arctic Silver 5 kit.  They really stress the importance of getting rid of all old paste.

Ok man thanks for all the help :)