Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New External H/D via USB: all folders renamed to weired symbols/charac

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

SB in 43

SB in 43

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Hello

I found a topic onUSB files and folders renamed to weird symbols/characters back in 2013 but not sure the answer applies to my problem.

I have a brand new external H/D Intenso 4TB Memory Center USB3.0 compatible USB 2.0- I am running windows 10 installed on an HP Compaq 64 bits o/s.   I copied a lot of files (coreldraw, excel, pdf,word, images,etc)as  I wanted to keep all my files on this drive as they were on 5 diferent keys and H/D before that. For a few days all was well but then , one morning,  all folders bar 1 have been renamed with weird symbols and characters. The drive was nearly full  and I tried to delete some files but not possible.

I would like to recover as much a possible  and tried recovery software to no avail.

Intenso drive  Properties.PNG

Intenso Drive SB in 43.PNG

Many thanks for your help

SB

Advertisements

SB in 43

SB in 43

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Hello Freebooter,

Many thanks for your reply.

I have now(at the end of 8 hours of thunderstorms) done what you suggested and the attached shows the result. What do I do next?

Kind regards,

SBin43

SB in 43

SB in 43

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Hello Freebooter,

Many thanks for your reply.

I have now(at the end of 8 hours of thunderstorms) done what you suggested and the attached shows the result. What do I do next?

Kind regards,

SBin43

Results CHKDSK on J drive 08.08.2017.PNG

Edited by SB in 43, 08 August 2017 - 06:35 AM.

SB in 43

SB in 43

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Hello again,

Now  property shows it isFAT32 with both used and free space at 0.

0 used ans free space.PNG

FAT32.PNG

If all is lost , so be it but what do I need to do in order to use the H/D  from now on?

Many thanks for your help

SBin43