Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC restarts with BSOD or restarts itself while playing games with no i

- - - - - tech preview

• Please log in to reply

Grimripper89

Grimripper89

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Hi,

My pc has been doing this for a while now and i seem to have no luck in sorting this issue and would like confirmation of what the issue is before i make and costly decisions as i have had enough with this.

Pc restarts when pl;aying games but is always at random, can be fine for 1-3 days then all day can restart itself with no indication as to why even no boot option for shutting down incorrectly just boots up like normal as if i had turned it on.

The BSOD are random each time it is a different code and i cant keep track. i did select it to not restart on error yet it still does.

i have checked all of my tempretures and they seemed ok (to me) i have changed my RAM, i have reinstalled windows 10 but kept my personal files on the computer and still the issue persists.

The Mem Dump is attached 

Also all error reports just say NTKernel unexpected shutdown.

Please help if someone can.

Attached Files

Advertisements

Grimripper89

Grimripper89

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

O/S-Windows 10 Pro
Graphics-Nvidea GTX 960
RAM-16gb 
Motherboard-Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3P
Processor-AMD AFX 8320 Eight core processor
PSU-Corsair VS650

I have attached HW monitor image and that was tested while nothing was running.

I would include a copy of speed fan but when attempting to load speed fan it crashes my system every time and have to hard reset the PC by the front buttons (I did first wait 30 mins before resetting my system)

Also attached is my Bios type and vendor

Attached Thumbnails

• hw monitor nothing running.jpg

Grimripper89

Grimripper89

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Sorry this did not attach

Attached Thumbnails

• Bios.JPG

Grimripper89

Grimripper89

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

This is after I managed a game but had 6 BSOD between then and about 15 failed boots

BSOD : 

Critical_process_Died

Kmode_exemption_not_handled ndis.sys root cause

IRQL

IRQL_not_less_or_equal x2

Unexpected_Kernel_Mode_Trap

Attached Thumbnails

• after game.jpg

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

:welcome:   Grimripper89,

Being from August 2nd 2017 the dump file in your OP is of no use and the latest available will be required for it to be of any use bfwiw the dmp says Probably caused by : WdFilter.sys which is a Microsoft antimalware file system filter driver.

1. Copy any dmp files from C:\Windows\Minidump onto the desktop.

2. Select all of them, right-click on one, and click on Send To> New Compressed (zipped) Folder.

3. Upload the zip folder using the More Reply Options tab, Choose File then the Attach This File tab., bottom left of the dialogue input box.

Next;

Download then run Speccy (free) and post the resultant url for us, details here,  this will provide us with information about your computer hardware + any software that you have installed that may explain the present issue/s. 

Tip

Do not reply to your own OP or last reply as it may lead to your request for help being overlooked, staff and members who assist on the forums will always check out a topic that has not received any replies to see if they are able to help, if you reply to your own OP it will appear to others viewing the board that you have received a reply so are already being helped.

Grimripper89

Grimripper89

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
1. This is my Speccy Report.

http://speccy.pirifo...BF3y6Wkp1k0BY61

2.The folder "minidump" is empty so I attempted to send to you the MEMORY.DMB in text form in a zip folder as suggested but the file is corrupt and Windbg.exe can not read it. 

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Only three things that I am seeing in Speccy:

Your power plan is set to High Performance, this is a form of OCing that can cause both instability and overheating, change it to Balanced.

You have different specs of RAM and are using thee sticks meaning that it is only operating in Single Channel mode, while troubleshooting, remove the 8GB stick and make sure that the two 4GB sticks are in slots 2 and 4 > the two nearest to the processor.

Hibernation is enabled, this imo is a useless function and it is known to cause issues, disable it

Open the Win+X menu, and click/tap on Command Prompt (Admin)

In the elevated command prompt, powercfg -h off press Enter and you are done.

Use the guide here to make sure crash dmps are enabled on your computer (Small memory dump please).

Cautionary note, you need to free up some space on the E: drive device to avoid data corruption,see my canned info below;

Partition 0

Partition ID: Disk #1, Partition #0
Disk Letter: E:
File System: NTFS
Volume Serial Number: D67BD925
Size: 931 GB
Used Space: 900 GB (96%)
Free Space: 31 GB (4%)

Please note that in order to avoid data corruption and/or mechanical HDD failure for you must always have a minimum of 20 to 25% of the HDDs or partitions overall storage capacity available as free space where Windows is installed and between 10 and 15% of a HDDs overall storage capacity available as free space if there is data only on it, the free space allows for information to be copied to and from the drive efficiently particularily important for Windows file swapping and the installation of OS and AV updates.

Not having the above can render a computer inoperable if the HDD concerned has the OS on it due to the MBR (Master Boot Record) becoming damaged/corrupt, please see information here and here

Grimripper89

Grimripper89

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Hi thanks for the reply and assessment of the speccy report.

1. I have disabled hibernation as shown throuigh cmd (Admin)

2.I adjusted the power performance after the issues started due to reading a few posts with users having similar issues related to voltages and power plans.

3. I recently purchased the 8gb Ram to check if the Ram was the cause and when running the 8gb on its own I still had issues.

4. Previously I had the Ram in the 1st and 3rd from the processor. where these the wrong ports for these as when I purchased the PC this is how they were positioned?

5. I have set up the small mini dumps to be logged so I will forward any mini dumps I receive in the format suggested previously. I don't know how long that will take as I have been trying to recreate the crashes and issues I have been experiencing but seems to be in a good period. As I stated before It can do well for a few days then be crashing every 10 minutes for days while attempting to play certain games.

I will keep you updated thanks again for your help its greatly appreciated. :) 

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Hello Grimripper89,

Update info acknowledged  :thumbsup:

3. I recently purchased the 8gb Ram to check if the Ram was the cause and when running the 8gb on its own I still had issues.

4. Previously I had the Ram in the 1st and 3rd from the processor. where these the wrong ports for these as when I purchased the PC this is how they were positioned?

Took a look at your MBs user manual and it said that RAM should be inserted in slots 2 and 4 as I described, let us know if after trying the suggestion the problem persists, btw, you would have been better to purchase another 2X4GB sticks of RAM to ensure that it worked in dual channel mode, even if the computer was stable you would be losing the best performance that your RAM is capable of. 

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Not heard back from you Grimripper89, do you still require assistance or is the issue now resolved, an update would be appreciated.