Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HELP PCI PROBLEM

• Please log in to reply

gocrdnls25

gocrdnls25

• Pip
  • 5 posts
i dont know why this happened...but i just came back from college, and hooked up my desktop computer to our internet, through our hub. While i was at school we only have one computer so the hub is not needed. Anyways...all I did was hook it up correctly and now my computer works and theirs does not. I tried to hook it up without the hub again to thier computer and it didnt work. I went into the hardware profiles and the ethernet card appeared to work correctly however underneath it in the manager it had a PCI card without a driver. It gives me a code 28 saying the drivers are not installed, and i try to find a driver using the Ethernet floppy that came with the Ethernet card but it will not work, and i cannot get the internet to work at all on that computer now. Its an old crappy compaq running the devil windows ME...if anyone has any ideas please help!!

Advertisements

RichardTCS

RichardTCS

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I had a problem a long time ago when I used a hub to connect two computers to cable internet. When I hooked up a third computer, one of the others stopped working. The problem was my ISP had two IP addresses allocated to me and the cable modem tracked the MAC addresses. The box regestered the new computer and tossed one of the others. I had to call the cable tech support to reset the box. If you are really using a hub, switch to a router.

Now, about that ethernet card. Since it previously worked, the correct drivers would still be there. Remove it from the device manager and restart the computer. Windows should locate and reinstall the driver.

gocrdnls25

gocrdnls25

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
thank you...yeah we figured out that since i came back our isp only let each account have one IP address...so i bought a router...problem fixed!