Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Blue Screen of Death (Resolved).

Best Answer abrahams child , 17 October 2017 - 07:47 PM

I received another MB which we flipped out with the old one last Thursday.  It hasn't had another episode of the BSOD and the ram that I thought was bad turned out to be good.  It was a b... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Memory issues flagged up in both dmps.

*                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    *

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (a)
An attempt was made to access a pageable (or completely invalid) address at an
interrupt request level (IRQL) that is too high.  This is usually
caused by drivers using improper addresses.
If a kernel debugger is available get the stack backtrace.
Arguments:
Arg1: 0000000000000000, memory referenced
Arg2: 0000000000000002, IRQL
Arg3: 0000000000000000, bitfield :
bit 0 : value 0 = read operation, 1 = write operation
bit 3 : value 0 = not an execute operation, 1 = execute operation (only on chips which support this level of status)
Arg4: fffff80002c8d515, address which referenced memory

Disable Driver Verifier.

Test your RAM using the Guide to using Memtest86+ tutorial provided courtesy of rev_olie here

Advertisements

abrahams child

abrahams child

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts

I ran the memtest86+, it found no errors and passed the test.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Did you test each stick individually.

How many passes of Memtest did you run, rev_olie recommends eight individually on each stick of RAM but six or seven on each stick is normally enough to root out any bad RAM.

abrahams child

abrahams child

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts

No I didn't test them individually.  I'll do it here soon as it will take some time to do so.  I'll get back to you when it's be completed.  Thanks for the help.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

No problem, take as long as you need  :thumbsup:

You are welcome  :)

abrahams child

abrahams child

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts

I've been busy lately and the computer crashed yesterday about five times so I took the time to run the memtest.  First stick during test, the screen went black and had to restart.  The second stick had 408k plus errors so I figure both of the first two sticks are bad as the other two passed the test.  Did not reinstall the two bad sticks but the good ones.  Spent four hours last night trying to get the computer to boot up properly and hold without it not functioning at all.  Ran into Disk Boot Failure insert system disk press enter/or at startup Disk Boot Failure enter bios and select default settings at startup. 

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

No worries, we understand that you have other things to attend to.

First stick during test, the screen went black and had to restart.  The second stick had 408k plus errors so I figure both of the first two sticks are bad as the other two passed the test.

Can I ask which memory slot you were using when testing the RAM. 

Ran into Disk Boot Failure insert system disk press enter/or at startup Disk Boot Failure enter bios and select default settings at startup. 

Obvious I know but have to ask, have you made sure that both the HDDs power lead and SATA cable are securely connected.

What two memory slots do you presently have the RAM in.

Have you been into the BIOS and selected the MBs "failsafe default values".

Please note that the MBs "optimal settings" option should not be selected as it is a form of overclocking that can and often does cause system instability.

abrahams child

abrahams child

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts

It has four memory slots but I used the slot next to the CPU.  The two sticks I'm using are the two farthest away from the CPU.  Seems to be running ok right now but is a lot slower with losing 4 gig of memory.  I had been in Bios and had selected default values when trying to over come disk boot failure.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

For testing purposes and best performance when using only a single stick of RAM you should be using slot B1 which is the second yellow slot away from the CPU.

When using two good sticks of RAM they should be in slots A1 and B1 the two yellow slots nearest the CPU.

See link here and the attachment below that I have highlighted for you.

Seems to be running ok right now but is a lot slower with losing 4 gig of memory.  

Bad RAM or memory slots has always been a possibility and has previously been mentioned in your thread so if confirmed one way or the other neither of us should be surprised, btw, if you go back and check your Speccy report that you post on August 12th 2017 you will note that even though your RAM was running in dual channel mode it was only running at half the speed that it should have been;

RAM
6.00GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 199MHz (5-4-4-12)

400MHz is what it should have been reading (2X400MHz = 800MHz).

abrahams child

abrahams child

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts

My memory slots are white/black with the white next to the CPU.  I'll move them to the white slots.  This unit is over ten years old and we are talking about a new board/CPU as it has been used a lot.  Never bought a already unit as I've built one myself.  I think it's time to upgrade.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Would recommend retesting all of the RAM in the second slot away from the CPU and starting with the two sticks that failed first time around, if it fails the testing for a second time you will have at least confirmed it for yourself.

abrahams child

abrahams child

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts

I went to the link in post #54 and it says you can use either yellow/black slots for two sticks of memory.  I put the two sticks back into the yellow slots and it did nothing during multiple tries.  I put them back into the black slots and after multiple tries it restarted with system boot failure.  Went into bios and reset the boot sequence.  Are the yellow slots defective? 

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

If you carefully re read what it says at the link you will note that it says that you can install identical DIMMS in the two yellow slots and another identical DIMM pair in the black slots, this exactly as shown in the attachment that I uploaded along with a full explanation for you in reply #54.

Has all RAM been tested in DIMM slot (B1).

Are the yellow slots defective? 

Possibly but we cannot say for sure until we know that all of the RAM has first been tested one stick at a time in slot (B1) and then a pair at a time in slots (A1) and (B1).

I put them back into the black slots and after multiple tries it restarted with system boot failure.

When attempting to boot the BIOS is checking DIMM slot (B1) for RAM and when not detecting any then checking DIMM slot (A1) when it finds none there either the system fails the power on self test (POST).

abrahams child

abrahams child

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Can't get the system to boot with ram in the yellow slots.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

If the computer will not boot with any of the four sticks of RAM in either of the yellow DIMM slots (A1) and (B1) it suggests that your MB may have issues.

I would suggest that you try clearing the CMOS by removing the MBs CR2032 battery for a while and then replace it, see attachment below, if the problem persists after clearing the CMOS and resetting the time and date you are looking at a bad MB I`m afraid.