Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Code 12 Device Manager

• Please log in to reply

Conan85

Conan85

• PipPip
  • 60 posts

Hi,

I have a have system (mining rig) with 5 gpus. When I use 5 gpus, 3 of my gpus stop working with the error code 12 in device manager. If I disconnect one (any one I think), so that there are only 4 gpus, they all work perfect.

My system:

EGVA 1000W Supernova GQ PSU

Intel Pentium G4560 3.5ghz 3Mb

2x8GB Ballistix DDR4 RAM

250GB SSD

Z270 Gaming Pro Carbon motherboard

5x RX 570 4GB GPU's

I have tried resetting CMOS and updating the motherboard with the latest BIOS. The GPUS have the latest drivers.

Could the PSU be maxed? When the system is running with 4 gpus, it draws about 600w. Shouldnt the PSU be able to handle atleast one more GPU?

Hope someone can help..

Advertisements

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

i think the problem is your cpu just doesn't have the capabilities of running 5 gpu's, probably not enough cores and/or pci-e lanes available.

the error code 12 means the system doesn't have enough free resources so there is a device conflict which is removed when you remove the 5th gpu.

sorry can't offer any further advice because i've never run so many gpu's in a system, and that's the only theory i can think of that may be the cause of your issue and if correct then no amount of software/firmware updates will be able to fix it because it is a hardware limitation you've run into and can only be overcome by a hardware upgrade of the cpu and maybe the motherboard.

:popcorn:

Conan85

Conan85

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Thanks for the reply. So you do not think it can be something with the psu?

Check out

This guy runs 13 GPUs on Intel Pentium G4400 3.3Ghz

That CPU is more crap than mine right?

Edited by Conan85, 10 August 2017 - 02:00 PM.

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

after doing a little bit of research at the moment i don't think the problem is with your psu or cpu, but much more likely to be either a motherboard limitation or a wrong setting somewhere in bios, like setting pci-e gen to lowest.

personally unless someone else pops in with advice then i think you'd get better help from a forum that's about whatever it is you're mining, than what i'm able to give because i have absolutely no experience with mining and running so many gpu's.

see if this helps.

I honestly have no idea why most people in this sub over-complicate the setup process. Install all your gear like you would a normal PC, no need to plug/unplug/install/uninstall/whatever in some magic order multiple times.

Once everything is hooked up like you want it, just update to the latest BIOS from the EZ Flash menu. Set all your PCIe, PCH, etc to the lowest speed, enable 4G, disable all non-essentials like audio, set graphics to PEG, etc.

Install Windoge 10, making sure to use the latest image. After logging in, your screen will flash a bunch of times as it automatically installs all the necessary and proper drivers. Reboot after doing all your Windoge updates.

Boom, run your miner and profit. That's literally what I've done for all of my rigs, and it works every time, especially with the Asus Z270-A (which I have a couple/few of). I've only had one issue with one board that couldn't be solved by updating the BIOS, and it was because that board didn't automatically enable XMP. Once I enabled it, everything worked flawlessly.

https://www.reddit.c..._on_asus_prime/

Edited by terry1966, 10 August 2017 - 06:39 PM.

Conan85

Conan85

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Awesome, thanks! You were right, it was a motherboard issue. I checked out your findings from thread at reddit. I have never heard of 4G and XMP in BIOS settings. I havent built a machine in 15 years. (I just did it because my wife didnt think I could do it.) However, in my BIOS it was very clear. On the 4G option it even said it was for cryptomining and enabling more than 4 gpus, which was exactly my case. 

All 5 GPU's are firing away now :)

Conan85

Conan85

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

I have an identical 6th GPU laying here. When running the 5th GPU, the meter on the socket jumped from 600w to 825w. A bit weird as one GPU should only draw about 105w under load.. Anyway, I assume I dont have a large enough PSU for the 6th ?

Should I try, or can it mess things up?

Edited by Conan85, 11 August 2017 - 03:15 AM.

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

you can try it and see, if you find you start having issues then remove the 6th gpu.

personally i'd recommend getting a 1200/1300watt psu to run all 6 even if you find it works at the moment with the 1000watt psu, or add a second psu to power say 2 of the cards thus easing the workload on the 1000watt psu.

the extra draw at the wall can partly be explained by this.

Note that even with a good (bronze+ or silver rated PSU) you are still loosing about 15% during conversion. 15% of 500 Watt means that your computer would use 500 Watt, but the PSU would draw 588 Watt from the wall socket.

https://www.howtogee...pply-unit-mean/

glad the problem was something simple like a bios setting and was easily fixed. :spoton:

A bit weird as one GPU should only draw about 105w under load..

think that may be wrong. according to this :- http://www.anandtech...x-570-review/16

a rx570 drew an extra 221 watts from the wall under full load which is about what you got when adding the 5th gpu.

if you decide to use 2 power supplies, a cable like this will come in handy :- https://www.amazon.c...&tag=linus21-20

Edited by terry1966, 11 August 2017 - 03:03 PM.