Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Disabling processes in XP

• Please log in to reply

Morgane

Morgane

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi There!

I am trying to run BioExplorer on an Eee Netbook Intel Atom CPU N270 @ 1.60GHz Mobile Intel 945 Express Chipset Family running XP Home. I have uninstalled most unnecessary software except Skype whom I can't get rid of. I am intending to run BioExplorer and nothing else. I can't convince it to go into Safe Mode either...

Most designs are working but sometimes BioExplorer freezes. So I thought I could end the following processes to free up additional processing power:

C cleaner.exe

MOBKbackup.exe
mcshield.exe. McAffee has been uninstalled!!!! Can I delete these 2 somehow so they don't activate on startup?

spoolsv.exe
BTTray.exe

When I end these processes mcshield.exe and spoolsv.exe always pop up again. I will not use the Internet nor use a printer, so can I disable these processes permanently?

I should be be very grateful for any help you can give me!

Best regards,

M

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

McAffe has a really poor uninstaller.  You should always use the removal tool:

http://us.mcafee.com...s/mcpr/mcpr.asp

(If it still works on XP)

spoolsv.exe

is the Print Spooler service

Right click on My Computer and select Manage then Services and Applications then Services.

Scroll down until you find Print Spooler.

Right click and hit Properties then change the Startup Type to Disabled. OK.

I think BTTray.exe is also a service called Windows Bluetooth Tray Application or perhaps just Bluetooth so you can do the same thing to it.

If the McAfee removal tool didn't work you may be able to stop McAfee here too.

If all else fails try msconfig

http://www.netsquirr...sconfig_xp.html

Morgane

Morgane

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Many thanks RKinner!
I shall try that!

Morgane

Morgane

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Success! 4 processes permanently disabled and MOBKbackup.exe can be ended in the Taskmanager without reactivating itself automatically!

Unfortunately the McAfee removal tool doesn't work in XP.

Many thanks for taking the time to help me!

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts

Try revo uninstaller on the McAfee. It may or may not work. Sometimes revo will only uninstall if the program is installed and since you uninstalled it, it may not work.

Use the free version and the advanced section to get rid of folders and files and registry items.