Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

[RESOLVED] Driver Issues! Keyboard, Touchpad, USB mice not working

- - - - -

Best Answer DMCShep , 20 August 2017 - 07:34 PM

That worked!!! Touchpad works without any issues, keyboard works, touchscreen works, USB mouse works, checked device manager and zero warnings!!! Rebooted just to make sure it's fixed, and same res... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

DMCShep

DMCShep

• PipPip
  • 17 posts

Need help resolving driver issues for input devices! Driver Manager shows yellow icons next to five devices. Stuck using my touchscreen for everything!!!

HP Envy x360 15t, started having sporadic touchpad issues a week ago. In my diagnosing process, I upgraded all my drivers (Snappy Driver Installer), and have lost the use of my keyboard and USB mouse too!

Windows insists everything is updated, troubleshooters say there's no problems, windows update says there's nothing new I'm missing, if it weren't for the touchscreen, I wouldn't be typing this now!!!

I first thought the touchpad had hardware issues, but need help getting drivers sorted out first. Can anyone help???

Edited by DMCShep, 20 August 2017 - 07:34 PM.

Advertisements

DMCShep

DMCShep

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Thank you for the response!

Sadly, I've done that. The problem isn't with having the right drivers handy it seems, but rather with getting Windows to actually use them. I've tried installing, running Windows repairs, rebooting, and repeating dozens of times. The USB mouse having the same issues is throwing me for a loop -- I'll straight-up uninstall the drivers, reboot, and it still fails to install the right ones.

Is there some kind of diagnostic tool I can use to point me in the right direction of what's going wrong? Windows Event Log was my first thought, but there's so many spots to check, it's like finding a needle in a haystack.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
I upgraded all my drivers (Snappy Driver Installer),

Avoid using such programs, see my canned info below as to why;

Please note that drivers should never be updated unless it is to address a known issue, if a driver is installed needlessly you can end up creating the very issue that the updated driver was intended to correct, rolling back to the previous driver does not always work and waiting for the next driver update can take some time and may also not resolve the issue.

When possible, always obtain drivers directly from the provider of your hardware/software and only use drivers or patches from third parties for older or no longer supported hardware/software.

Do you have or can you borrow a USB keyboard,

What are the 5 devices that have a yellow !.

Did the problems start after any recent Windows update.

Did the computer ship with Windows 8.1 and was then upgraded for free to Windows 10 (this always causes problems with brand name notebooks).

There are different version of the HP x360 15T, see screenshot, what version is yours on the list.

DMCShep

DMCShep

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Avoid using such programs, see my canned info below as to why;

Crap, I'm glad you mentioned that. I've read the same, but at some point mixed that up with security updates of software  :oops:

Do you have or can you borrow a USB keyboard,

Yes, although my touchscreen lets me use the Windows touch keyboard (which I used to type up the first post)

What are the 5 devices that have a yellow !.

Getting a screenshot, will edit post with it

Driver Icons.png

Two icons have disappeared after the USB mouse was unplugged and plugged in again, they are the only two shown without warnings. Still doesn't work though.

EDIT:

I stand corrected, this is how it looked when I first logged in:

Driver Icons - Prior.png
Neither here nor there, but sharing for reference (window's been open this whole time -- touchscreen still works for now, not taking any chances!!!)

Did the problems start after any recent Windows update.

I think maybe the last one, but it wasn't a major update.

Did the computer ship with Windows 8.1 and was then upgraded for free to Windows 10 (this always causes problems with brand name notebooks).

Yes, although the upgrade was done when I first got it two years ago if it helps any.

There are different version of the HP x360 15T, see screenshot, what version is yours on the list.

From the bottom of the laptop,

Model: 15t-w000

P/N: K8QO4AV

(Pretty sure the P/N uses an "o" since it's wider than the zeros in the model number)

Edited by DMCShep, 16 August 2017 - 07:19 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

The following to hopefully help move things along for you, Freebooter may be around to help when I cannot be and vice-versa.

The idea of using a USB keyboard is for ease of use, you can sit back and see what you are doing rather than leaning across and obscuring the screen with your hands while you are troubleshooting.

As a starting point, create a new folder on the desktop named HP Envy x360 15t - w00 CTO drivers, download from HP here all of the drivers to your newly created folder, you need these in any event but please do nothing with them for now (always handy to also have these saved on a USB thumb drive as well).

Check to see if you have a system restore point that is both before the problems started and the update that you mentioned was installed, if you do, try the restore point and let us know what if anything happens.

DMCShep

DMCShep

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Keyboard is functional after the restore, touchscreen remains functional, touchpad and USB mouse still broken. Warning icons over "HID-compliant mouse" and "Synaptics SMBus TouchPad" in Device Manager.

Downloading the drivers directly onto a USB thumb drive for sanity's sake. What's next?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Create a new system restore point.

1: Restart the computer in Safe Mode only (no networking).

Install the Intel Chipset Installation Utility and Driver, restart the computer as you would normally and test.

2: Restart the computer in Safe Mode only (no networking).

Install the Synaptics TouchPad Driver,  restart the computer as you would normally, test.then post back with an update for us.

DMCShep

DMCShep

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Noticed the Legacy Support in the BIOS is enabled -- shouldn't that be disabled? Don't think it's causing the issue, but worth asking while I'm at it.

Good news though: in that screen, the touchpad was working! So definitely not a hardware issue.

Can't seem to figure out how to boot into Safe Mode at all though! ESC is the only pre-boot option presented, and it leads the a screen with no relevant options. Will see what I can find, although at the moment I'm updating the BIOS that refuses to install when logged in since I found the option to update it in the ESC menu.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Noticed the Legacy Support in the BIOS is enabled -- shouldn't that be disabled? Don't think it's causing the issue, but worth asking while I'm at it.

On computers such as yours that have UEFI BIOS Legacy Support should be enabled, if you ever needed to boot from a USB thumb drive it may need to be disabled though.

Good news though: in that screen, the touchpad was working! So definitely not a hardware issue.

Aye that is good news as it more or less proves that it is a driver issue.

From Windows 8 onwards you cannot access Safe Mode by tapping F8 on boot, you need to follow the steps detailed here

DMCShep

DMCShep

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Step 1 (installing the Intel Chipset thing) failed. Attaching logs. I tried rebooting into safe mode a second time and running it, same result (hence two sets of logs).

Attached Files

Advertisements

DMCShep

DMCShep

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Still failed. Attaching latest logs.

Attached Files

DMCShep

DMCShep

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

"Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations" -- it should be noted that I did this same step early on in the diagnosing process, so I'm not surprised at that result. This was while still in Safe Mode.

Edited by DMCShep, 20 August 2017 - 12:05 AM.

DMCShep

DMCShep

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
✓  Best Answer

That worked!!! Touchpad works without any issues, keyboard works, touchscreen works, USB mouse works, checked device manager and zero warnings!!! Rebooted just to make sure it's fixed, and same result.

Thank you guys VERY much!!! Saved me from buying a $50 touchpad or even taking it to a repair shop!!!  :laughing:

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

That worked!!! Touchpad works without any issues, keyboard works, touchscreen works, USB mouse works, checked device manager and zero warnings!!! Rebooted just to make sure it's fixed, and same result.

Thank you guys VERY much!!! Saved me from buying a $50 touchpad or even taking it to a repair shop!!!  :laughing:

We are glad to hear your issue has been resolved!

Great news and a job well done folks :yes:

Couple of other suggestions for you DMCShep, make sure that you create a new system restore for the present stable settings and create a back up image of your HDD, see Essexboy guide here

Btw thank you for letting us know that all is now well DMCShep, your feedback will be helpful to others  :thumbsup:

DMCShep

DMCShep

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Hang tight, might not be fully resolved yet. I'm starting to remember WHY I tried to upgrade the driver in the first place.

The touchpad is finicky and works intermittently. Seems like the driver keeps crashing and restarting (at least, when I enabled the tray icon, it was doing that). Not sure if it's hardware or software at this point. What can I check?