Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need help understanding what's in my PC

PC Hardware

Best Answer phillpower2 , 23 August 2017 - 12:27 PM

The following received via PM after asking if the Speccy information was correct; Yes, I am xxx xxxxxx. Have been for almost 72 years,   The information regarding the hardware in the... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

IMPopeye

IMPopeye

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

It's been years since I built computers so when I decided to go gaming I purchased one. It's been five weeks of regret. Even with the changes in technology, I'm almost positive I could have done better. That being said, I have this "new" computer purchased six weeks ago. Guess what? It stinks.The component manufacturers aren't the problem, it's the old, outdated components. Obviously, my 16 years of being away from this is my first flaw. The second is I should have done more research. As it was, I had difficulty getting details on what I have.

This is the system:

Cybertron PC Electrum QS-A6 Gaming Desktop - AMD A6-7400K 3.50Hz Dual-Core Processor, 16GB DDR3 memory, AMD Radeon R5 Graphics, 1TB HD, Windows 10

Motherboard: ASUS M5A78L-M Plus/USB3 DDR3 HDMI DVI USB 3.0 760G MicroATX
Processor: AMD A6-7400K Radeon R5, 6 Compute Cores 2C+4G, 3500 Mhz, 1 Core, 2 Logical Processors
BIOS Version/Date: American Megatrends, Inc. V8.4, 8/10/2016
SMBIOS Version: 2.8
Embedded Controller Version: 255.255
BIOS Mode: UEFI

What isn't mentioned is the video card. It's an MSI GT 710 1GD3H LP (1GB video RAM).

Since I'm not overly excited about buying or scratch building a new PC, I'm looking at upgrading. This brings an additional problem in that I have been unable to find what's compatible with this motherboard.

From past experience, I prefer AMD processors. Since I am upgrading, I'm thinking of a different APU, definitely a different video card and, since I have been having occasional audio problems, maybe a sound card. I'm not sure, but I may have to replace everything but the tower. 

I'm asking for suggestions.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

:welcome:   IMPopeye,

Can I ask what the main use of the computer will be.

16GB DDR3 memory,

Sounds great but what speed is it, any slower than1866MHz and you are affecting the performance of the CPU and any more than 8GB of RAM is often wasted as it is not utilised by most programs/games and doesn`t make the computer perform any better.

What isn't mentioned is the video card. It's an MSI GT 710 1GD3H LP (1GB video RAM).

Being 64-bit the card is ok for office type work and web browsing etc but no good for anything graphics intensive.

I'm thinking of a different APU, definitely a different video card and, since I have been having occasional audio problems, maybe a sound card. I'm not sure, but I may have to replace everything but the tower. 

We need some further info before being able to advise, see below;

The intended use of the computer.

The brand and model name or number of the power supply, you will need to take the side off of the case to get this, this in case you need a video card upgrade.

The speed of the RAM, see Speccy info below.

Regarding the audio, could be a driver issue or something else as most modern MBs yours included have an 8 channel audio chip and unless you spend a lot of money on an add on audio card you will not get any better.

Download then run Speccy (free) and post the resultant url for us, details here,  this will provide us with information about your computer hardware + any software that you have installed that may explain the present issue/s. 

IMPopeye

IMPopeye

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Thank you for the rapid reply!

I used the Speccy link, but there are problems: ( http://speccy.pirifo...iTFbWJJ1oggVwcV )

* My not using Spanish for the last 9 years leaves me frustrated over the created file. (Same boobo as not keeping current with computer technology.)

* The data presented is incorrect. It looks like I've been given data on someone else's PC. Ex:

Operating System: MS Windows 7 ultimate 32-bit

Intel Celeron 430 @ 1.80GHz: 51 ºC Conroe-L 65nm Tecnologia RAM

1.0GB Único -Channel DDR2 @ 332MHz (5-5-5-15) Placa mãe G31T-M7 (CPU 1)
    Gráficas Monitor Genérico não PnP @ 1024x768 1024 MB GeForce 9600 GT (Undefined): 45 ºC
    Discos rígidos 313GB SAMSUNG SAMSUNG HD322HJ ATA Device (SATA): 29 ºC
    Unidades ópticas HL-DT-ST RW/DVD GCC-4480B ATA Device LWB B89QBSP SCSI CdRom Device

Is Speccy identifying MY setup or the one the motherboard is designed for?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Hello IMPopeye,

That is the example Speccy url you have copy/paste, you will note that the date is from 2011.

See if my two attachments below help.

You are welcome btw  :)

IMPopeye

IMPopeye

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

It's been years since I built computers so when I decided to go gaming I purchased one. It's been five weeks of regret. Even with the changes in technology, I'm almost positive I could have done better. That being said, I have this "new" computer purchased six weeks ago. Guess what? It stinks.The component manufacturers aren't the problem, it's the old, outdated components. Obviously, my 16 years of being away from this is my first flaw. The second is I should have done more research. As it was, I had difficulty getting details on what I have.

This is the system:

Cybertron PC Electrum QS-A6 Gaming Desktop - AMD A6-7400K 3.50Hz Dual-Core Processor, 16GB DDR3 memory, AMD Radeon R5 Graphics, 1TB HD, Windows 10

Motherboard: ASUS M5A78L-M Plus/USB3 DDR3 HDMI DVI USB 3.0 760G MicroATX
Processor: AMD A6-7400K Radeon R5, 6 Compute Cores 2C+4G, 3500 Mhz, 1 Core, 2 Logical Processors
BIOS Version/Date: American Megatrends, Inc. V8.4, 8/10/2016
SMBIOS Version: 2.8
Embedded Controller Version: 255.255
BIOS Mode: UEFI

Since I'm not overly excited about buying or scratch building a new PC, I'm looking at upgrading. This brings an additional problem in that I have been unable to find what's compatible with this motherboard.

From past experience, I prefer AMD processors. Since I am upgrading, I'm thinking of a different APU, definitely a different video card and, since I have been having occasional audio problems, maybe a sound card. I'm not sure, but I may have to replace everything but the tower. 

I'm asking for suggestions.

All I can say is "DUH"!

Here's the link:

http://speccy.pirifo...lPNqq7Q0NMEiYGP

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Couple of things look off in the Speccy results, one of them being that not all of your hardware listed in your OP is actually in your computer, I have sent you a PM and for now will hold off posting anything further here until you get back to me via PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
✓  Best Answer

The following received via PM after asking if the Speccy information was correct;

Yes, I am xxx xxxxxx. Have been for almost 72 years, :)

The information regarding the hardware in the computer is not correct as in the MB details do not correspond and there is no MSI GT 710 add on video card present, in addition to this, the OS reported by Speccy is Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview 64-bit which is not in keeping with a newly purchased computer.

Best course of action here would be to return the computer being that it is only five weeks old and have the merchant that sold you the the computer set it up as it should be, this includes being provided with written documentation of the hardware that you have paid for and a non preview version of Windows 10 being installed.

IMPopeye

IMPopeye

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

RE:

1) MSI GT 710 - this is shown on details generated through Win 10

2) Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview 64-bit - I recently upgraded to this because of the problems I've had

3) Return the computer - I purchased this through Amazon. I'll have to contact them to see if this is possible.

Thanks again for your assistance.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
1) MSI GT 710 - this is shown on details generated through Win 10

Not disputing anything here but there is no evidence of any  MSI GT 710 add on video card being present on your computer or any Nvidea drivers that would be required to run the said card, there is only AMD (previously ATI) video hardware and software detected on your computer;

Graphics
Monitor
Name: HP 22cwa on AMD Radeon R5 Graphics
Current Resolution: 1920x1080 pixels
Work Resolution: 1920x1080 pixels
State: Enabled, Primary, Unsafe
Monitor Width: 1920
Monitor Height: 1080
Monitor BPP: 32 bits per pixel
Monitor Frequency: 60 Hz
Device: \\.\DISPLAY1\Monitor0
ATI AMD Radeon™ R5 Graphics
Manufacturer: ATI
Model: AMD Radeon R5 Graphics
Device ID: 1002-1315
Subvendor: MSI (1462)
Current Performance Level: Level 0
Current GPU Clock: 351 MHz
Current Memory Clock: 800 MHz
Current Shader Clock: 800 MHz
GPU Clock: 757.0 MHz
Temperature: 42 °F
Driver version: 22.19.662.4
Memory Type: DDR3
Memory: 1024 MB
Bandwidth: 25.6 GB/s
Count of performance levels : 2
Level 1 - "Perf Level 0"
GPU Clock: 351 MHz
Shader Clock: 800 MHz
Level 2 - "Perf Level 1"
GPU Clock: 757 MHz
Shader Clock: 800 MHz

2) Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview 64-bit - I recently upgraded to this because of the problems I've had

Windows Insider Preview software is not intended and nor is it offered by Microsoft as an upgrade to any OS,  the use of Windows Insider Preview software is offered on a voluntary basis for those willing to trial the software to run it and then post back to Microsoft any bug reports they may have, by installing the Insider Preview I`m sorry to say you have caused yourself a problem or two, to opt out of the Insider Preview program you must either wait for the next Insider Preview update that is offered to you and then opt out or save all of your important data and restore the original OS on your computer to as it shipped etc, see info here

3) Return the computer - I purchased this through Amazon. I'll have to contact them to see if this is possible.

Do you have an Amazon link to where you purchased the computer, not finding anything that lists an ASUS M5A78L-M Plus/USB3 DDR3 HDMI DVI USB 3.0 760G MicroATX motherboard or an MSI GT 710 1GD3H LP (1GB video RAM) add on video card.

If you can return Windows 10 to the way that it was when the computer was shipped, the computer may be accepted back but by installing the Windows 10 Insider Preview software you may have voided any warranty  :(

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Not heard back from you IMPopeye, do you still require assistance, an update would be appreciated.

Advertisements

IMPopeye

IMPopeye

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Not heard back from you IMPopeye, do you still require assistance, an update would be appreciated.

Sorry, I've been having problems with Windows 10. I'm trying to revert back as you suggested but Microsoft doesn't seem to want me to do this. Of course, it 'can't' be that I didn't accomplish the task correctly! I attempted to get details from CybertronicsPC. What they gave me was almost completely wrong. When I asked about this, they said I had the wrong serial #, so I sent them a photo of the sticker.

I'm still working on restoring the original Win 10.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Thanks for the update  :thumbsup:

I attempted to get details from CybertronicsPC. What they gave me was almost completely wrong. When I asked about this, they said I had the wrong serial #, so I sent them a photo of the sticker.

When researching your computers supposed hardware content I noticed folk complaining that the listed specifications were incorrect, no HDMI port gets a mention a couple of times here the MB in your computer has a HDMI port, the ASUS M5A78L-M Plus/USB3 DDR3 HDMI DVI USB 3.0 760G MicroATX that you were led to believe was in your computer has a HDMI port which means that we know for sure that the manufacturers of the computer don`t stick with using the one type of MB so what else do they either put in or worse still list in the spec, charge you for but then leave out  :ranting:

I don`t like the following form of advertising either;

Unless familiar with computer terminology the average user may think that they are purchasing a CPU that has six physical cores when in fact the processor only has two cores and two threads plus 4 graphics only cores.

Hope you manage to sort things out with CybertronPC and we will be here meanwhile.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

How are you getting on with this IMPopeye

IMPopeye

IMPopeye

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

I have found additional information and confirmed the motherboard is an MSI AW11M-E33 V2 And it does have an HDMI port. A few days ago something happened to cause the OS startup to be lost do I went ahead with your earlier suggestion and restored the original version of Win 10. When it was completed I got a notification from AMD to upgrade video drivers. Afterwards I reviewed the Radeon settings. The accachment is a copy of all that data. I hope this information is helpful. It appears to me Cybertron doesn't keep very good records of what they produce.

Attached Files

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Thanks for the update  :thumbsup:

What are your plans for the computer now, if you have an invoice that lists the spec of what was supposedly in the computer but is not you have grounds for complaint, either reimbursement of the price of the missing hardware or the correct hardware being fitted at no cost to yourself.