Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

sons' new laptop has bsod, please help.

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

myriamd

myriamd

• PipPip
  • 40 posts

HP laptop starts up ok, with HP logo and such.

He then gets the start up page where he enters his password. goes to load windows,

BAMMO! Black screen. Tried calling HP who wanted $100.00 to try to fix remotely.

Remembered this site, and here I am.

Hopefully someone here can help me out!

Not sure of specs as I can't getin there to check.

Thanks,

Mimi

well, it got to the windows screen, but i can't get it to do anything. mouse works but that is all.

Edited by myriamd, 16 August 2017 - 05:01 PM.

Advertisements

TipsfromTechs

TipsfromTechs

• Pip
  • 1 posts
If it is running windows 7 or earlier, you can tap F8 at startup until you see a black and white screen which will allow you to choose "last known good configuration" that will bring you back to the settings of your last successful startup

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts

Hello myriamd,

Couple of questions is I may;

Is the computer out of the box new, if yes, then it would normally be covered by warranty and therefore returned to the place of purchase for repair or replacement by them.

Has the computer been dropped or banged in any way.

Your OP is on the Windows 10 forum but can I just confirm that it is the correct version of Windows.

myriamd

myriamd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

it isnt new out of the box. it is about 4 months old. warranty no good.

and yes it is running windows 10.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts

You missed answering whether or not the computer had been dropped or banged in any way, we need to know this.

If only 4 months old it should still be covered by warranty, 1yr is normally the minimum and 2yrs in Europe.

myriamd

myriamd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

not banged or dropped. when I called HP customer service, they said it wasn't covered by warranty anymore.

I will have to call them back again.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts

Unless purchased direct from HP any warranty claim must be taken up with the merchant that sold you the computer.

Not being dropped or banged makes hard drive and RAM problems less likely, will wait on an update from you for now.

myriamd

myriamd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

I got the computer from Walmart, who you have to buy the extended warranty from. Of course, I didn't. I will try calling HP again on Monday.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts

Check any Walmart invoice that you may have for the computer first but just so that you are aware HP warranty terms for the USA here say 1 year limited warranty for hardware, you can also check for any valid warranty direct with HP using their online check here

Edit to add: Appreciate that this may be frustrating but it is important that we check for any warranty before offering any troubleshooting steps, just in case.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts

Not heard back from you myriamd, do you still require assistance or is the issue now resolved, an update would be appreciated.