Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop vs Desktop

• Please log in to reply

brettt777

brettt777

• PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

I have an old Asus G73 that I use for work and some gaming when I am on the road for work. I also have a custom desktop at home that is pretty much just for gaming. I recently came into a new job that will have me traveling more often so I am really wanting a better laptop more suitable for gaming. My old G73 was great in its day but it's six years old. So I am thinking about selling both my desktop and the G73 laptop and investing in a newer more powerful gaming laptop that is more suited for modern games. I have my eye on a Dell Alienware 18" gaming laptop and I am wondering if it is at least comparable to my desktop which was probably a mid-grade machine when I built it three years ago.

The desktop is: i7 4790 CPU @ 3.6 ghz, 16gb DDR3 RAM, GTX-770 with 2gb DDR5, 2TB Seagate HDD, USB 3.0, Blu-ray

The Dell laptop is: i7 4910MQ @ 2.9/3.9 ghz, 16gb DDR3L RAM,  Dual GTX-880M SLI with 16gb DDR5, 1TB HDD + 256gb SSD, USB 3.0, Blu-ray

For what I could probably sell my old laptop and desktop for, I could easily pay for the Dell. But would the Dell be at least as good as my desktop?

Edited by brettt777, 20 August 2017 - 01:06 AM.

Advertisements

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

see if these help you decide :-

http://www.game-deba...ce GTX 880M SLI

http://cpuboss.com/c...el-Core-i7-4790

personally i'd try and keep the desktop if possible, it's easy to upgrade the graphics card so it's much better than the laptop, but if not then they'd be about the same in my opinion with no real noticeable difference, maybe with the desktop slightly better on some games because of cpu and laptop better on others because of gpu.

:popcorn: