Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Firefox slow after I started using aol email

• Please log in to reply

wayneman50

wayneman50

• PipPipPip
  • 587 posts

I started having regular performance problems with Firefox when I switched from verizon's email web site to aol's. I always have my aol email session going, plus various other sites. I find that after about a week, my Firefox session slows to a crawl. I delete cookies, clear the cache, and my performance is fast again. I lowered the cache limit to 100 MB, but it hasn't made any difference. A couple days ago, Firefox slowed after I had deleted cookies and cleared cache only a couple days before that. Can you suggest a more lasting resolution? Plus, I would like to keep some of my cookies.

I have an HP PC with Windows 10.

Thank you.

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

Have you tried a different browser, like Google Chrome? https://www.google.com/chrome/

If your PC has the old, slow type of hard drive (spinner), replace it with a SSD for a noticeable improvement.

Rebooting a Windows computer every couple of days or so seems to help keep the cobwebs out.

wayneman50

wayneman50

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts

So you don't think it has anything to do with aol? That was just a coincidence?

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

An identical problem with more than one browser, and on more than a single computer could indicate the problem lies with Aol.

wayneman50

wayneman50

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts

I may or may not have time in the next few weeks to try it. If you don't hear from me in what you think is a reasonable amount of time, go ahead and close this topic. Thank you.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

No hurry / worry. Unless something terrible happens, we'll be here whenever you decide to come back. :)