Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows update not properly working after rolling back creators update

- - - - -

Best Answer phillpower2 , 26 August 2017 - 12:10 PM

No worries, going to get myself a new USB thumb drive and download the new media needed from Microsoft and then try it that way. I hope that you have better luck and please do let us know how... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

veron3

veron3

• PipPip
  • 15 posts

I've tried to fix my laptop problems myself by going through the threads here and other sites, but I'm just stuck and do need help.

I recently posted this question and had a great reply, but as i said, i didn't want to have to start a new thread to get help thinking that I could solve it myself. Touchpad still isn't working at all.

http://www.geekstogo...-mouse-forever/

Now it seems that my windows update is properly working. It does activate but never has updates to download.

Can anyone point me in the right direction to get updates again. I think my touchpad is too far gone now unfortunately.

Toshiba satellite laptop

Windows 10 home, version 1607

OS build 1439.1613

P.s. I use a local administrator account on my laptop and only sign into the store when needed.

Edited by veron3, 26 August 2017 - 04:32 AM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Download then run Speccy (free) and post the resultant url for us, details here,  this will provide us with information about your computer hardware + any software that you have installed that may explain the present issue/s. 

veron3

veron3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Thanks for the quick reply.

http://speccy.pirifo...BCAp6s5HCumbrHO

Here is the speccy link

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Looking only at your update problems atm due to the security risk;

Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Computer type: Notebook
Installation Date: 05/08/2016 11:33:50 AM
Windows Security Center
User Account Control (UAC): Enabled
Notify level: 2 - Default
Firewall: Enabled
Windows Update
AutoUpdate: Download Automatically and Notify Prior to Install What happens when you try checking for updates to install them manually, any error message at all.

Hotfixes
Installed
Not Installed
30/12/1899
Installation Status
30/12/1899
Installation Status
30/12/1899
Installation Status
30/12/1899
Installation Status

You are quite correct in that no updates have been installed but as to why is not immediately obvious, have you ever tried anything to hide any particular updates as mentioned in the thread that you post in here what is really odd is that there are no updates either shown to have been installed or failed to install since 05/08/2016 the date at which I suspect you upgraded for free from the previous OS, this means that you have been at risk of malware attack for over a year as Windows Defender has not been able to update either.

You are welcome btw  :)

veron3

veron3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Hi Philpower2

I haven't hid any updates.

I've tried many wee fixes to no avail.

I have downloaded an update and it was grand to install. That was manual.

I have cleared the update folder to have it reinstall to fix it, I followed this website. - http://www.thewindow...lder-in-windows

I'm not sure what the hotfixes is.

I've tried fixes all over the place and may have just made the situation worse to be honest.

Edited by veron3, 26 August 2017 - 05:47 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Hello veron3,

I have downloaded an update and it was grand to install. That was manual.

Can I ask when this was done as in since I asked in my reply #4.

I have cleared the update folder to have it reinstall to fix it, I followed this website. - http://www.thewindow...lder-in-windows

The above explains the lack of updates, emptying the software distribution folder deletes all previous updates which in turn can lead to future updates being unable to install as in one update cannot be installed unless a particular earlier update has been installed first, same as not being able to install a later service pack unless any previous sp has been installed first, whatever happens all previous Windows and Windows Defender updates will have to be reinstalled again.

Please note that when possible you should stop Windows from updating software/drivers for none Microsoft products, this is known to cause problems and especially on brand name notebooks such as Dell, HP and Toshiba etc.

veron3

veron3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Can I ask when this was done as in since I asked in my reply #4.  -  I downloaded the Windows 10 kb4015217 update from the windows website last Wednesday there. It installed grand for me. I hope i downloaded the right update.

I have indeed messed up trying to fix things myself. Is there any hope for me getting my updates running again? 

Is there a list in order of updates i can download?

I've attached the updates capture.

Attached Thumbnails

• Capture.JPG

Edited by veron3, 26 August 2017 - 06:47 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
I downloaded the Windows 10 kb4015217 

You either have a very good memory or the said update is shown to have been installed on your computer but for some reason is not detected by Speccy, jafyi, the Hotfixes mentioned in Speccy are where any Windows updates should be reported but as you can see none are reported.

We do have a couple of things to try but for now can you try checking for updates manually and let us know what happens, it may take a while checking so you may be best making a cuppa or leaving it checking if you have any errands to run.

Windows updates are best left to download and install themselves, once Windows has fully updated change the setting back to the Download Automatically and Notify Prior to Install option.

NB: I note that you use Trusteer Rapport, I also use this but disable it when not banking online etc, I found that it gave me problems back in the early days of Windows 10 and have just kept up the routine, if we can get Windows fully updated while Rapport is enabled that would be better though.

veron3

veron3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

lol.

Thank you very much for all your replies and help with this mess.

I found the update in my downloads.

I constantly check for updates through the settings, it runs grand for a minute then it just seems downloads the same thing every so often. Not sure if it installs though.

I've attached a capture of what it says then another of straight after.

P.s. I ended Rapport. I had problems with it too for a while.

Attached Thumbnails

• CaptureUP.JPG
  • Captureup2.JPG

Edited by veron3, 26 August 2017 - 07:05 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

You are welcome  :)

I found the update in my downloads.

This may suggest that Windows has been trying to download updates and that what needed doing was installing the drivers manually, this not a problem with Windows as that it was Windows Update has been set up to do (AutoUpdate: Download Automatically and Notify Prior to Install ).

Can you click on the Update History tab and grab another screenshot for us so we can see what if anything has actually been installed updates wise.

Sorry but missed your edit to reply #7  :oops:

Advertisements

veron3

veron3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Yes, I got the update myself through the Microsoft catalogue website, but i wasn't sure if i was getting them in the right order and if i was truly downloading the right ones. So I just downloaded one update and installed it on Wednesday. 

The update in the windows settings only runs for a minute then says it's up to date. 

Here is the latest updates just captured.

Attached Thumbnails

• new01.JPG

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Thanks for the screenshot which confirms what I suspected which is that updates can and are able to be installed and that it is an error in Windows itself that is misleading you and possibly something to do with not having the Creators Update installed, if you check my two screenshots you will see the exact same misleading info, the computer that I use for the forums is a Sony Vaio notebook which the Creators Update didn`t seem to like and so would not install, been saying  that no updates have been installed ever since, they are and I check every time on first boot to make sure;

veron3

veron3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Do you recommend downloading the creators installer from windows and updating again like that?

I have been tempted, but again, a bit afraid to do so after the touchpad and mouse went insane.

I did try to download updates for the laptop through the windows catalog but I was getting confused about what updates and order of them to install.

I don't really want to reinstall windows, but if it comes to that, i guess i will have to.  What's your thoughts? 

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Just trying this again now and will let you know how it goes at some point today, see attachment;

As long as Windows says that it is up to date and the same for Windows Defender you are protected and can do no more than keep it that way by checking every time that you boot up and go online.

A clean install is always a last resort but unfortunately on brand name computers (mostly notebooks) it seems to be the most common and only solution, I like others suspect that this is mainly down to the big brands not being willing to update drivers and other software for older computers, sadly the said big brands have had it relatively easy over the years due to the fact that the older OS such as XP and Windows 7 (not so much Vista or Windows 8/8.1 because they were deemed by many to be rubbish) were around for a long time and they only had to update their software for a couple of OSs whereas as now they have 4/5 to try and support, taking XP and Vista out of the equation you still have 7/8.1 and 10 which is one more main OS than they ever had to cater for.

veron3

veron3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Ack sure, you are an absolute gem.

Thank you so much for all of your help.

I'm happy to hear that you think i'm protected ok.

I'll keep the page open for your reply as to how you get on.

I'm hoping that i'm not pushing you to get the creators after your problems too, just so you can help me out.  I don't want your computer to mess up. :smashcomp: