Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Could this be possible?

• Please log in to reply

Mikbergs45

Mikbergs45

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I work for a roofing company that does flat roof restoration. Generally these roofs are over 50,000 sq. Ft. I can go to google maps and find any roof I want and get a good estimation of the size using google maps. I was wondering if something could be created that would find all flat roofs over a certain size in a given location (ex. Chicago, IL)? This would be very helpful for the business. I have no idea if this would be possible. Any of your ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

In Google maps, click Earth or Satellite in the bottom left corner of the map.

Zoom in close so the roof almost fills the screen.

Right-click the roof and select "measure distance".

Click one corner of the roof and a line will appear, with one of the end dots on the corner you just clicked.

Drag the other end-of-line dot to the second corner of the roof.

Right-click any other corner of the roof and select "Distance to here". If either end of that line are not where you want them, drag the dot(s) into position.

Right-click another corner of the roof and select "Distance to here".

Keep repeating this until you have lines drawn all the way around the edge of the roof.

Then at the bottom of the map, Google Maps will pop up a white box containing the Total Distance around the edge as well as the Total Area.

BTW, you can adjust (fine tune) the end-of-line dots by dragging it/them wherever.

For example, here's a screenshot of the dimensions of the roof at "7045 Arundel Mills Cir, Hanover, MD 21076":

Attached Thumbnails

• GTG_Mikbergs45_RoofArea(a).jpg

Mikbergs45

Mikbergs45

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks spywareDr! I didn't know that! That will be helpful. I'm not sure if I phrased my question very good. But I was more wondering if it would be possible to have a software created that could find all the roofs over a certain size, and list them for me. So that I could potentially reach out to them for my services. I know I can do this manually, but there are so many flat roofs in a given area (Chicago) that it would be very difficult to find them and list them all manually. I don't know if this is even possible, I was just looking to see if anyone knew. Thanks!!

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

I'm sure it's possible. Probably require the assistance of some of the geniuses at Google Maps/Earth through.

Mikbergs45

Mikbergs45

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Ok! Thanks for the help!

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

No problem.