Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Replace motherboard in laptop help please.

Best Answer mrpooh3 , 28 September 2017 - 10:18 AM

Hi phillpower2,apologies for the late reply.I have had no internet access lately.I managed to fix the laptop so the issue is resolved.When I go to build a desktop I will start a new thread.cheers! Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

mrpooh3

mrpooh3

• PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Hi,I recently upgraded my DELL Latitude E5420 laptop with some new RAM and an SSD....it was working great but unfortunately for me my nephew knocked it over.

It wasn't on and was also closed at the time ,luckily there were no cracks etc.

When powered on though the screen was blank which was due to the display connector coming loose which I reconnected.

It was working fine for a day or two then my CPU temps started getting high and reached as high as 93 which is when I shutdown.

On the next boot though I got a fan malfunctioned warning and there is now no sound from the fan(I assume it must be dead) with my cpu temps still rising.

I have to replace the power jack on it so I started stripping it apart and that got me thinking about replacing the motherboard and I have been looking online but most of the motherboards for my laptop say REV A02 whereas my motherboard is REV A00.

At the moment I feel like scrapping the lot of it but I recently purchased a brand new bottom base and was going to have to strip everything out anyway.

Do I have to find a REV A00 or can I put a REV A02 in it?

Edited by mrpooh3, 29 August 2017 - 06:22 AM.

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

Either should work.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Hello mrpooh3,

Do you now have the notebook fully disassembled and been able to check if the internal cooling is still connected to the fan header on the MB and that the fan blades can turn freely, if you are only looking at a broken DC jack port and flaky cooling fan the cost would be far less than replacing the whole MB.

Edit to add: New MB here and an inexpensive used one here (please note the important compatibility information).

mrpooh3

mrpooh3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Hi Phillpower2,

I have already purchased a new fan and dc jack as well as a bottom base which should arrive by the end of the week.

The only reason I have been considering replacing the board is that I was thinking maybe due to the fall I could have done unseen damage to it therefore won't know if it is operating correctly without any faults.

If the board was damaged and I put it back in can it damage any other parts such as RAM,etc?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Hi mrpooh3,

The only sure way of checking the board is by close inspection with a magnifying glass or similar, this to check for any hairline cracks in the pcb or breaks in the soldered circuit, neither would damage your hardware but could prevent the computer from powering up or it quickly shutting down when the MB gets warm and expands thus breaking a circuit.

System shorts are what could damage hardware, check for any loose, bared or stray wires, anything not securely connected to where it should be and only using the exact same screws that came from any particular screw hole.

mrpooh3

mrpooh3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Hi,I just managed to purchase a refurbished(fully tested) board on the cheap so I will hopefully have it all put back together at the end of this week if all goes well that is.

Can any of you guys tell me which processor is the best to put in this again(I am pretty forgetful) is it an i7-2620m or the i7-2640m?

If all goes well I will uprade the CPU before christmas.

cheers

:cheers:

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Can any of you guys tell me which processor is the best to put in this again(I am pretty forgetful) is it an i7-2620m or the i7-2640m?

Would rather wait until you have the notebook up and running so you can run Speccy and post the results for us, as mentioned at the link I included in my reply #3 there are different boards used in the DELL Latitude E5420 so not all CPUs may be compatible with every board, different versions of BIOS will recognise different CPUs etc.

mrpooh3

mrpooh3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Would rather wait until you have the notebook up and running so you can run Speccy and post the results for us, as mentioned at the link I included in my reply #3 there are different boards used in the DELL Latitude E5420 so not all CPUs may be compatible with every board, different versions of BIOS will recognise different CPUs etc.

No worries,I'll get back at the weekend if I can get it rebuilt.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

K, good luck with it and any questions along the way let us know.

mrpooh3

mrpooh3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

K, good luck with it and any questions along the way let us know.

Hi Phillpower2,

I received the chassis and board today and when I went to fit the fan and dc jack input I found out I have no dc input jack support bracket.

I have been searching on e-bay to no avail.

I have came to a stop for now due to a tiny little metal bracket.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Hi mrpooh3,

I went to fit the fan and dc jack input I found out I have no dc input jack support bracket.

What a pain in the proverbial  :(

I take it that there was no such a bracket on the original set up or that the bracket may be missing.

mrpooh3

mrpooh3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Hi mrpooh3,

I went to fit the fan and dc jack input I found out I have no dc input jack support bracket.

What a pain in the proverbial  :(

I take it that there was no such a bracket on the original set up or that the bracket may be missing.

Hi Phillpower2,

I spoke with a parts guy and I can go ahead without it.

When I took it apart I remember now checking to see if I had this part and it wasn't there,I remember thinking it had flown out when taking the part out and having a look around for it but it sits underneath the dc input so I couldn't have had one.

As you said in an earlier post there are different revisions of this model and when I was searching for a bottom base I found out that there are a lot of different versions of it.

It sits pretty solid so I don't think my model needs one(hopefully).

Anyhoo,I continued this morning and fitted the fan,the dc jack input,the daughter board and the sound board.

I managed to get the motherboard fitted and connected some of the molex connecters but when I went to fit the molex for the soundboard to the motherboard connecter I was too heavy handed and snapped the connecter from the board.

I was nearly in tears....if I had got that stupid little 5mm connecter in I would have been home and dry.

I felt like grabbing all the parts and throwing them in the skip.

I contacted the guy that got me the board so I'll see what he says or it's 20 quid down the drain.

I'm much too heavy handed for electronics work and I also have no patience.

It took me about 10 mins just getting the board to fit snug without damaging it.

When a part won't go in I get frustrated and am not as delicate which is why I ended up snapping the connecter.

I am a pipe-fitter by trade so it's ok to be heavy handed in my line of work I think I should maybe stick with pipe work and forget about electronics.

:)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Sorry to hear that  :(

Not sure what the seller can do if the board is damaged tbh, if you can`t sort it you could try a USB sound card, not ideal I know but possibly better than having to purchase another MB.

mrpooh3

mrpooh3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Sorry to hear that  :(

Not sure what the seller can do if the board is damaged tbh, if you can`t sort it you could try a USB sound card, not ideal I know but possibly better than having to purchase another MB.

The board only cost me 20 bucks so I'm hoping if I buy another that he might give me it for 15(fingers crossed).

I have replaced that many parts on this laptop now over the past 5 years that I'm aswell doing it right.

Once it has another working board in it I'm hoping to upgrade the CPU to an i7-2620m or 2640m(don't know if it can take the 2640m) and hopefully I will get at least another year out of it but I also might give it to my dad and buy a newer laptop this year.

RKinner helped me fix up my Dad's old acer 5735 which I'm currently using as a back-up but it is just a bit too slow for me now(will probably give it to charity.)

I was hoping to have my own laptop up and running this week and am still slightly annoyed at myself but hey what can you do eh?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Good to see you haven't let the mishap get to you  :yes:

Keep us posted on your progress and good luck  :thumbsup: