Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Replace motherboard in laptop help please.

Best Answer mrpooh3 , 28 September 2017 - 10:18 AM

Hi phillpower2,apologies for the late reply.I have had no internet access lately.I managed to fix the laptop so the issue is resolved.When I go to build a desktop I will start a new thread.cheers! Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

mrpooh3

mrpooh3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Good to see you haven't let the mishap get to you  :yes:

Keep us posted on your progress and good luck  :thumbsup:

Hi phillpower2,

I received another board this morning and he gave me it for 15 so all in all it ended up costing me 35 bucks for a replacement board.

This time I was more careful and took my time.

Everything went back together nicely this time apart from the palm rest which took me a while to get the clips all matched up again,but it was a brand new one so maybe that's why it was a bit tight.And I don't like those tiny little ribbon cables as they never feel like they are in right.(I hope they are all in right fingers crossed.

I put the CPU into the board and cleaned it all then went to clean the heat sink and the tip of the heat sink fell off it had a big crack down it.

I managed to get another and I ordered another tube of thermal paste.

When I receive the HS and paste I should be good to go.

I keep having thoughts that when it's all back together I will switch it on and it won't work.

Anyway the cracked heat sink got me wondering whether the fan was the cause of the rising temp or the cracked heat sink?

I hope I don't have to strip it down again,I don't think electronics is my thing.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,745 posts

Thanks for the update mrpooh3  :thumbsup:

First time that I have heard of a cracked HS tbh but you could be right.

Other than the slight mishap it sounds like you have done a good job and fingers crossed here that it works out all good for you when you do the finishing touches.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,745 posts

Any news for us mrpooh3!

mrpooh3

mrpooh3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Any news for us mrpooh3!

Hi phillpower2,

I have received the thermal paste but still no sign of the heat sink.

I really hope it comes tomorrow as I'm going away for a couple of days and I really miss my laptop.

If it does come in the post in the morning all I will have to do is apply thermal paste and drop the heat sink in,seal it up and switch on.

I'll post back.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,745 posts

Thanks for the update mrpooh3  :thumbsup:

No problem, not intending to be a nag only checking to see if you had any success. 

mrpooh3

mrpooh3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

No problem, not intending to be a nag only checking to see if you had any success. 

Hi phillpower2,

no your not being a nag at all,I appreciate the help.

The heat sink came yesterday and so I applied some paste and installed it.

When I switched on it booted with no problems other than some incompatible/missing drivers and a problem with the sound.

I then done a fresh win7 install and driver install aswell as flash the bios.

I had to change date and time in bios aswell.

So far I can only see two problems.

When I was using the laptop at first doing the win7 install I was watching cpu temp in speccy and it was in the 60's,I don't think I done a good job applying paste.

The fan is working and the dc power socket is working fine now aswell.

So far it is just my sound I am having a problem with and am not sure what is causing it but I suspect the right speaker might be failing.

The speakers came installed with the new bottom base and I have thrown my old base out.

I have sound but the right speaker is weaker than the left and is also slightly distorted.

I tried updating the driver but am sure it is hardware related.

The other problem I have is not really important.The wi-fi switch on the front is not switching off the wi-fi and wi-fi is always enabled.

I have been in the bios trying to fix this by messing around with the wireless switch settings but haven't sorted it yet.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,745 posts

Relatively good news then, never turn my wireless connection off so that wouldnt be an issue for me but the speaker problem I can understand would be annoying, a loose or bared wire or the speaker itself being damaged would be my guess, if software related audio in general would be affected.

Keep an eye on the CPU and if it goes no higher than around 65 to 70 for long periods it should be ok.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,623 posts
  • MVP

Try plugging some earphones in to the jack.  Is the sound still bad in one ear?  There is a switch in the jack that sometimes doesn't reconnect when you remove the connector.  Sometimes just plugging and unplugging it a few times will fix the problem.

mrpooh3

mrpooh3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Relatively good news then, never turn my wireless connection off so that wouldnt be an issue for me but the speaker problem I can understand would be annoying, a loose or bared wire or the speaker itself being damaged would be my guess, if software related audio in general would be affected.

Keep an eye on the CPU and if it goes no higher than around 65 to 70 for long periods it should be ok.

Hi phillpower2,

The wireless thing doesn't really bother me,the speakers are working aswell it is just that I am getting distortion.

Good news on the cpu temps though they have dropped considerably and are stiiting around 45-55.

mrpooh3

mrpooh3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Try plugging some earphones in to the jack.  Is the sound still bad in one ear?  There is a switch in the jack that sometimes doesn't reconnect when you remove the connector.  Sometimes just plugging and unplugging it a few times will fix the problem.

Hi RKinner,

When using headphones the sound is still distorted in one ear,it is the left earphone that is distorted whereas on the pc when I test the speakers it is the right speaker that is distorted....I'm confused at this.

It might be the audio board that's faulty.

I picked up an audio board on ebay for a fiver so I will strip it down again at the end of the week.

I also got a warning that the rtc battery is not connected and have had to set the time in the bios three times now so I think I might need to replace the cmos battery aswell.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,745 posts

Hi mrpooh3,

Have you tried the headphone suggestion made by RKinner.

Good news on the CPU temps, that could be down to the curing process of the thermal compound, not all need or benefit from the process but some compounds may perform better after an undetermined time.

mrpooh3

mrpooh3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Hi mrpooh3,

Good news on the CPU temps, that could be down to the curing process of the thermal compound, not all need or benefit from the process but some compounds may perform better after an undetermined time.

Hi phillpower2,

Yes,unfortunately no joy.

The sound is distorted in the left headphone speaker but is distorted on the right laptop speaker so I think it might just be the audio device.

I got an audioboard off ebay for a fiver and a set of refurbished tested working speakers to install..

I am going to have to get a new cmos battery aswell but hopefully this time next week it will be working great again.

mrpooh3

mrpooh3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Hi mrpooh3,

Hi phillpower2,

I received all the parts I ordered including a brand new cmos battery.

I noticed that the old cmos battery was stuck to a part of the motherboard with a small sticky 5mm circular pad but my new battery has not came with anything to stick it to the motherboard and was wondering if you know what these little pads are called and where I could get one?

Or would it be safe to use ordinary double sided sellotape?(probably a silly question but I am just wondering if it is safe due to temps/fire risk etc.)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,745 posts

Hi mrpooh3,

Never come across that question before so can`t give you an informed answer I`m afraid  :(

Pads here good for up to 80°C

mrpooh3

mrpooh3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Hi mrpooh3,

Never come across that question before so can`t give you an informed answer I`m afraid  :(

Pads here good for up to 80°C

Hi phillpower2,

thank you very much for the link,I'll try one of those.

On my old desktops motherboard a plastic clip held the battery in place but there's no such clip on my laptops board.

Once I get this laptop back up and running I would still like to get back to you about the desktop build if that's still ok with you(I hope I'm not pestering you too much phillpower2)but I'm afraid it will be around 2-3 weeks before I have the money for some parts.

I am going to buy a new camera aswell as my current one doesn't use an sd card and I have to mess around with adapters for my laptops sd card slot as I would like to post some photo's doing the desktop build.