Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hi, win 7 can someone help me clean up this mess

• Please log in to reply

67mopar

67mopar

• PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Hi can someone with more brains than me help me get this thing running better, its always been a great laptop, but something has hijacked it making it slow, Ive been here before with great results,  just not sure what to do,  Thanks,  dell Lattitude e6540   64 bit win pro,    I can provide the logs you need just lmk,  

Advertisements

ccn

ccn

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Hi can someone with more brains than me help me get this thing running better, its always been a great laptop, but something has hijacked it making it slow, Ive been here before with great results,  just not sure what to do,  Thanks,  dell Lattitude e6540   64 bit win pro,    I can provide the logs you need just lmk,  

I used to take my Dell through the Dell's process of diagnosing cleaning and updating drivers. For you... http://www.dell.com/...laptop/diagnose-- sometimes that's all it needs

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,744 posts

Download Process Explorer which you can obtain from here

Save it to your desktop then run it (Vista or Win7 - right click and Run as Administrator).  

View, Select Column, check Verified Signer, OK

Options, Verify Image Signature

Click twice on the CPU column header to arrange things by CPU usage, this will put the services with the highest CPU usage at the top of the log. 

Wait a minimum of a minute then grab a screenshot and attach it to your next reply for us

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... Click on the More Reply Options tab then after typing in any response you have... click on Choose File...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on Attach This File...on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Screenshot instructions are provided to assist those that may read this topic but are not yet aware of the “how to”.

67mopar

67mopar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

this.JPG

Attached Thumbnails

• this.JPG

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,744 posts

Not as we need it, see example attachment;

67mopar

67mopar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,744 posts

That is very good, nothing hogging the CPU resources whatsoever.

Can I ask why you post the same thing twice but some 11 minutes apart, am I missing something

67mopar

67mopar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

tried to delete it , posted it as duplicate , but with all the lag, I hit buttons when it prompted me 10 min later 

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,744 posts

For now please keep posts down to a minimum, we can do this by taking one step at a time.

Download then run Speccy (free) and post the resultant url for us, details here,  this will provide us with information about your computer hardware + any software that you have installed that may explain the present issue/s. 

67mopar

67mopar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

http://speccy.pirifo...jATxt1bqNSDLlAP

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,744 posts

While I look at Speccy, restart the computer in Safe Mode only (no networking) see how it behaves and make a note of it, once done, restart the computer in Safe Mode with Networking, see how it behaves and again make a note of it and post the results back here

Edit to add: Only thing showing in Speccy is high memory usage, nothing to explain what could be using it though.

Physical Memory
Memory Usage: 81 %
Total Physical: 3.91 GB
Available Physical: 745 MB
Total Virtual: 7.81 GB
Available Virtual: 3.32 GB

67mopar

67mopar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

ye its much better in safe mode,  I was using it in safe mode earlier, thats why im convinced its sw related and somethings hijacked me

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,744 posts
thats why im convinced its sw related and somethings hijacked me

Have you any particular reason to think that your computer may be infected, this is important because if there is we must stop things here and post the GTG malware redirection info for you.

67mopar

67mopar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

not infected, just some sw not playing nice togther, im pretty religious about my malware detection updates and anti virus 

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,744 posts

im pretty religious about my malware detection updates and anti virus 

Then you will know that the term "hijacked" is often associated with malware infection and should not be applied to anything else. :P

Getting late here and have an early start so going offline soon so will leave you a couple of things to do for now;

Can you post an Autoruns log for us, see here  

1: Extract the Autoruns Zip file contents to a folder.

2: Double-click the "Autoruns.exe".

3: Click on the "Hide Signed Microsoft and Windows Entries” option.

4: Go to File then to Export As or Save in some versions.

5: Save AutoRuns.txt file to known location like your Desktop > when you click on File > Save you will then get the option to Save as type, click the drop down tab, change it to Text and then click the Save button.

6: Attach to your next reply.

Tutorial here

Use msconfig to determine what is causing the problem

These are good tutorials on using msconfig in XP, Vista or Windows 7:
How to use msconfig in Windows XP
How to use msconfig in Windows Vista
How to use msconfig in Windows 7 and Windows 8

Click on Start then Run, type msconfig and press Enter.
Click on the Startup tab (for Windows 8, the Startup tab has a link to open Task Manager/Startup tab. Use that.) make a note of what is currently starting then click the Disable All button.
Reboot and see if it runs better.
If yes then use msconfig to enable several items at a time till you find the culprit.

If no, start msconfig and click on the Services tab.
Check the Hide All Microsoft Services box, record what is currently starting then click the Disable All button.
Again, do a regular boot, see if it runs normal.
If yes then use msconfig to enable services until you find the culprit.

Once you've found the culprit, uninstall it or find out how to eliminate it from your system. Simply disabling it in msconfig is a temporary fix at best.
Enable everything else you disabled.