Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 7 won't get past the login screen

• Please log in to reply

GBagshaw91

GBagshaw91

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi,

So my laptop restarted when my brother was playing a game on it. After trying to start it up again it came up with a black screen with grey textin saying 'Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause'
It then gave me two options: 1. Launch Startup Repair 2. Start Windows normally

If I launch the Startup Repair it says windows is loading files, but then just goes to a black screen with the white arrow on screen. Nothing else happens.

If I choose to Start Windows Normally it does the exact same thing.

I've tried all the options after pressing F8, I've defaulted settings after pressing F2 and none of this helps. Sometimes randomly it goes through to the login screen but there isn't any password entry field and it doesn't do anything further.

I didn't get a Windows 7 disc with the laptop and I don't have any easy way of sorting out a resume did or file.

Does anyone have any suggestions that I could try?

Thank you for any help you can offer, I really appreciate it.

Edited by GBagshaw91, 07 September 2017 - 09:09 AM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts

:welcome:   GBagshaw91,

I've defaulted settings after pressing F2 and none of this helps.

Can you post the brand and model name or number of the notebook for us and tell us which defaults, F2 sounds like it could be a Dell notebook but need to be sure

GBagshaw91

GBagshaw91

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
It's a Toshiba, I'm not totally sure I'm the model. Is there anyway I could find this out without having to boot it up?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts
Can you post the brand and model name or number of the notebook for us and tell us which defaults, 

No need for the model number now that we know it is a Toshiba but can you tell us what the default settings are that you mentioned in your OP, do you mean default BIOS settings for example.