Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I want to build a desktop but am unsure which parts to buy? Help!

Best Answer mrpooh3 , 15 September 2017 - 12:20 PM

Hi phillpower2,Thanks,your help is very much appreciated.I will hopefully be buying parts over the coming months.Thanks for the great example list as well,I will have a look at it and get back to y... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

mrpooh3

mrpooh3

• PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Hi,Lately I have been trying to refurbish my laptop and whilst I was watching some laptop disassembly videos on youtube I came across a desktop pc build video by Carey Holzman.

After watching it I started thinking about building my own desktop pc.

A few years back I had a desktop and have managed to transplant the parts into a new case before but have never built a desktop from scratch so I think I will be able to build it but selecting the parts is another story altogether.

I am not into gaming so I don't need the most powerful graphics card or cpu etc.but I am still hoping to get some good quality parts.

Last night I was trying to get an idea of the cost and it came out at between £400-500,I am going to buy the parts over the coming months and am not going to rush it as I am not pushed for time though.

I have been looking at motherboards and tbh I don't have the slightest clue as to what board I should get.

If any builders out there can give me some advice that would be grand!

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Hello again mrpooh3  :)

Be happy to help you with a build  :thumbsup:

As the computer will not be used for gaming you will be able to get by using integrated graphics but I would recommend that you include at least a 500W bronze rated PSU from the outset, the price difference is minimal but would be cost and time effective should you wish to fit an add on video card in the future.

Your budget of between £400 and £500, expect to pay up to the £500 price tag if you need to include the price of purchasing a new copy of Windows.

Will post back with an example parts list for you.

Edit to add: An example parts list for you here let us know what you think.

mrpooh3

mrpooh3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts
✓  Best Answer

Hi phillpower2,

Thanks,your help is very much appreciated.

I will hopefully be buying parts over the coming months.

Thanks for the great example list as well,I will have a look at it and get back to you about a mobo.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

You are welcome mrpooh3  :)