Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 7 Security Updates wont install no matter what I do.

Windows 7 Security Update

Best Answer phillpower2 , 19 September 2017 - 03:05 AM

Post separately to ensure that you receive notification; can you please edit your OP on the malware forum to let them know that you had been advised to uninstall qBittorrent  It is i... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

Legocadet

Legocadet

• PipPip
  • 53 posts

Hi, I am having trouble installing the latest Windows 7 Security rollups and I've tried to fix the issue myself by looking online and I cannot find the issue, any help would be much appreciated thank you.

The updates I cannot install are these:

2017-09 Security Monthly Quality Rollup for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB4038777)

2017-09 Security and Quality Rollup for .NET Framework 3.5.1, 4.5.2, 4.6, 4.6.1, 4.6.2, 4.7 on Windows 7 and Server 2008 R2 for x64 (KB4041083)

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Hello Legocadet,

Download then run Speccy (free) and post the resultant url for us, details here,  this will provide us with information about your computer hardware + any software that you have installed that may explain the present issue/s. 

Legocadet

Legocadet

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Hi, thanks for the quick reply here is the URL with the results

http://speccy.pirifo...krpG4bWpiEJtVdt

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Something really weird going on with your computer, see the info below that I have highlighted in red and blue.

Can I ask how long you have had this computer, what version of Windows are you running and from where the installation media came from.

Operating System
64-bit SP1
Computer type: Unknown
Installation Date: 31/08/2016 21:31:31 The OS was installed over a year ago but neither the installed or failed updates are more than four months old.
Windows Security Center
User Account Control (UAC): Enabled
Notify level: 2 - Default
Windows Update
AutoUpdate: Not configured This should be set to Automatic but notify before installing.

Uptime
Current Session
Current Time: 16/09/2017 17:06:02
Current Uptime
Last Boot Time: No data about Last Boot Time. Event log may be stopped

TimeZone Says you are in the UK but the OS is Japanese.
TimeZone: GMT
Language: Japanese (Japan)
Format: English (United Kingdom)
Currency: £
Date Format: dd/MM/yyyy
Time Format: HH:mm:ss

Scheduler
16/09/2017 17:10;: DropboxUpdateTaskMachineUA
16/09/2017 17:29;: Adobe Flash Player Updater
16/09/2017 17:34;: GoogleUpdateTaskMachineUA
16/09/2017 17:49;: Adobe Flash Player PPAPI Notifier
17/09/2017 14:10;: DropboxUpdateTaskMachineCore
17/09/2017 15:15;: ISM-UpdateService-4e00205a-2ab1-4423-8f77-cc25b82cde1d
17/09/2017 16:00;: Adobe Acrobat Update Task
17/09/2017 16:34;: GoogleUpdateTaskMachineCore
CCleanerSkipUAC Great for cleaning out junk but has anyone been meddling with the Windows registry.
ISM-UpdateService-4e00205a-2ab1-4423-8f77-cc25b82cde1d-Logon
SidebarExecute
Tweaking.com - Windows Repair Tray Icon When was the Windows AIO Repair Tool last run and have you checked the repair log. 
Any repair logs should be found in C:\ Program Files\Tweaking.com\Windows Repair (All in One)\Logs, check and if you find them copy/paste them into your next reply for us.

Storage No HDD detected.

Optical Drives
No optical disk drives detected
Audio
No audio card detected Says no audio card detected but lists both Nvidia and Realtek devices.
Playback Devices
VG248-4 (NVIDIA High Definition Audio)
Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio): (default)
Recording Devices
Microphone (Realtek High Definition Audio): (default)
Line In (Realtek High Definition Audio)
Speaker Configuration
Speaker type: Stereo
Peripherals

Edit to add: Thought that the Japanese OS issue looked familiar so I checked and found your previous Speccy report here, Windows also in Japanese there for whatever reason  :headscratch:

Legocadet

Legocadet

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Hi thanks for reading the log,

I got this computer last year by a shop down in my town so I don't exactly know what is going on.

We've already tread the path of the OS language, I myself am not sure why it is Japanese, the makers of my computer down in my town are responsible for that

No one has edited the registry to my knowledge...

I also don't know why there is no boot log

I will post the log of Tweaker.com on this reply

Attached File  31.05.2017_13.28.01.7z   59.68KB   321 downloads

Edited by Legocadet, 16 September 2017 - 12:35 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Please copy/paste the log as requested, we do not use 7z files on these forums.

We've already tread the path of the OS language, I myself am not sure why it is Japanese,

Did you see the edit in my reply #4

Legocadet

Legocadet

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Right the repair windows update log is long so I will paste just the .txt

Attached File  Repair_Windows_Updates.txt   737KB   484 downloads

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

You never told us when you last run the Windows AIO tool, please advise, don`t want to be going off dated information

Legocadet

Legocadet

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

I've never used Windows AIO I don't think... I think the makers did it when they were replacing my RAM cards...

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

See posts #20, 24 and 25 here

We could do with an updated AIO log, it should still be on your HDD but just in case the steps are below, I strongly suspect a Windows registry problem atm  :(

Download then run the Windows All in One Repair (free)  from here, disregard the malware guidance but follow the other steps to the letter and in particular ensuring that you first create a new restore point and perform a proper Windows clean boot before running the repair, details for the clean boot here.

Advertisements

Legocadet

Legocadet

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Heh heh I forgot then xd, well I am running a pre-scan now I guess

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

:D  :thumbsup:

Legocadet

Legocadet

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Here is the pre-scan results

┌────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────┐
│ Tweaking.com - Windows Repair v3.9.32 - Pre-Scan
│ Computer: USER-PC (Windows 7 Home Premium 6.1.7601.23797 Service Pack 1) (64-bit)
│ [Started Scan - 16/09/2017 20:43:02]
└────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────┘
┌────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────┐
│ Scanning Windows Packages Files.
│ Started at (16/09/2017 20:43:02)
│ 
│ No problems were found with the Packages Files.
│ 
│ Files Checked & Verified: 6,057
│ 
│ Done Scanning Windows Packages Files.(16/09/2017 20:50:34)
└────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────┘
│ Scanning Reparse Points.
│ Started at (16/09/2017 20:50:34)
│ 
Reparse Point: (Type: JUNCTION) (Name: NvBackend) (Original Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\NVIDIA Corporation\NvContainer\Plugins\LocalSystem\NvBackend) (Target Path: \??\C:\Program Files (x86)\NVIDIA Corporation\NvBackend\plugins\LocalSystem) (Creation Time: 14/08/2017 20:55:00)
Target Path doesn't exist!

Reparse Point: (Type: JUNCTION) (Name: My Documents) (Original Path: C:\Windows\SysWOW64\config\systemprofile\My Documents) (Target Path: C:\Windows\system32\config\systemprofile\Documents) (Creation Time: 06/09/2016 20:05:52)

Reparse Point: (Type: JUNCTION) (Name: NetHood) (Original Path: C:\Windows\SysWOW64\config\systemprofile\NetHood) (Target Path: C:\Windows\system32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Network Shortcuts) (Creation Time: 06/09/2016 20:05:52)

Reparse Point: (Type: JUNCTION) (Name: PrintHood) (Original Path: C:\Windows\SysWOW64\config\systemprofile\PrintHood) (Target Path: C:\Windows\system32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Printer Shortcuts) (Creation Time: 06/09/2016 20:05:52)

Reparse Point: (Type: JUNCTION) (Name: Recent) (Original Path: C:\Windows\SysWOW64\config\systemprofile\Recent) (Target Path: C:\Windows\system32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Recent) (Creation Time: 06/09/2016 20:05:52)

Reparse Point: (Type: JUNCTION) (Name: SendTo) (Original Path: C:\Windows\SysWOW64\config\systemprofile\SendTo) (Target Path: C:\Windows\system32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\SendTo) (Creation Time: 06/09/2016 20:05:52)

Reparse Point: (Type: JUNCTION) (Name: Start Menu) (Original Path: C:\Windows\SysWOW64\config\systemprofile\Start Menu) (Target Path: C:\Windows\system32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu) (Creation Time: 06/09/2016 20:05:52)

Reparse Point: (Type: JUNCTION) (Name: Templates) (Original Path: C:\Windows\SysWOW64\config\systemprofile\Templates) (Target Path: C:\Windows\system32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Templates) (Creation Time: 06/09/2016 20:05:52)

Reparse Point: (Type: JUNCTION) (Name: My Music) (Original Path: C:\Windows\SysWOW64\config\systemprofile\Documents\My Music) (Target Path: C:\Windows\system32\config\systemprofile\Music) (Creation Time: 06/09/2016 20:05:52)

Reparse Point: (Type: JUNCTION) (Name: My Pictures) (Original Path: C:\Windows\SysWOW64\config\systemprofile\Documents\My Pictures) (Target Path: C:\Windows\system32\config\systemprofile\Pictures) (Creation Time: 06/09/2016 20:05:52)

Reparse Point: (Type: JUNCTION) (Name: My Videos) (Original Path: C:\Windows\SysWOW64\config\systemprofile\Documents\My Videos) (Target Path: C:\Windows\system32\config\systemprofile\Videos) (Creation Time: 06/09/2016 20:05:52)

│ Problems were found with the Reparse Points.
│ You can use the Repair Reparse Points Tool at the bottom of this Window to try and fix these problems.
│ 
│ Files & Folders Searched: 764,942
│ Reparse Points Found: 85
│ 
│ Done Scanning Reparse Points.(16/09/2017 21:03:59)
│ Checking Environment Variables.
│ Started at (16/09/2017 21:03:59)
│ 
│ No problems were found with the Environment Variables.
│ 
│ Done Checking Environment Variables. (16/09/2017 21:03:59)
│ [Finished Scan - 16/09/2017 21:03:59]
│ 
│ [x] Scan Complete - Problems Found!
│ [x] 
│ [x] You can use the Repair Reparse Points or Repair Environment Variables tools at the bottom of this Window if needed.
│ [x] 
│ [x] While problems have been found, you can still run the repairs in the program.
│ [x] But for the best results it is recommended to fix the problems reported in this scan if possible.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Can you run the program and the repairs as below and once done post the AIO repair log for us, no rush here as have an early start so will be going offline soon.

disregard the malware guidance but follow the other steps to the letter and in particular ensuring that you first create a new restore point and perform a proper Windows clean boot before running the repair, details for the clean boot here.

Legocadet

Legocadet

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Here is the repair log

Attached File  _Windows_Repair_Log.txt   13.89KB   357 downloads