Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP Pro won't boot (Resolved).

Best Answer phillpower2 , 17 September 2017 - 08:20 AM

Hello June6 NISMO,  So this is an old works computer that now belongs to you,  It is important that you also answer this for us as we cannot help folk with computers that do not... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

June6 NISMO

June6 NISMO

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

I have an old HP DX7500SFF running XP Pro.  Recently ran into an issue where it wouldn't boot.  I'll get a message that it did not start correctly and wants to know if I'd like to start in Safe Mode, last known good config, etc.  Regardless of what is selected it is an never ending circle.  Tried to use the XP CD but everything goes along well enough and then I receive an error that a problem was detected and Windows has stopped to protect the computer from damage.  F11 does not seem to work.  I did get into diagnostics and it appears that the processor, hard drive and memory pass the tests.

I'm guessing that "something" snuk through the antivirus.

Any thoughts on getting through this?

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Hello June6 NISMO,

Could be a corrupt OS, the HDD going bad, a combination of both or even a loose memory stick

Couple of questions if I may;

Did the computer originally ship with XP Pro installed.

Is there any data on the HDD that you would like to try and back up.

Are you ok with working inside of a computer.

June6 NISMO

June6 NISMO

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Hello Phillpower2

This is actually an old network machine and to the best of my recollection it was equipped with Vista from HP.  Due to software issues at the time the IT group installed XP Pro.

My main goal now was to try to get it up and going just to get a few files out of it; beyond that it probably isn't worth too much effort.

I have no problem cracking into it.

Thx!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Hello June6 NISMO,

This is actually an old network machine and to the best of my recollection it was equipped with Vista from HP.  Due to software issues at the time the IT group installed XP Pro.

Reason I asked was because the info that I was finding was saying they shipped with Vista Business.

So this is an old works computer that now belongs to you, if yes, is the XP disk that you have the same one as was used to install the OS on the computer.

You are welcome btw  :)

June6 NISMO

June6 NISMO

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Hello Phillpower2

It is an XP Pro Svc 2 disk just as was installed on the machine but, unfortunately it is not the original and it appears that the original install disks are long gone.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
✓  Best Answer

Hello June6 NISMO,

So this is an old works computer that now belongs to you,

It is important that you also answer this for us as we cannot help folk with computers that do not belong to them but instead are the property of a business or school etc.

Without breaching the GTG Terms of Use I can point out some potential problems for you regarding the computer.

From your OP;

I did get into diagnostics and it appears that the processor, hard drive and memory pass the tests.

As mentioned previously and confirmed by yourself the computer originally shipped with Vista and XP Pro was installed later, the diagnostic utility is not on the same C: partition as Windows so it is possible for the tool to work even when Windows is corrupt (strange that the utility worked with XP as well btw) you mention that the CPU, RAM and HDD passed the diagnostics which further suggests that your Windows OS is corrupt.

It is an XP Pro Svc 2 disk just as was installed on the machine but, unfortunately it is not the original

Couple of potential problems with this;

When support ended for XP service pack 3 had been around for many years, if the computer had been kept up to date then it would have been running SP3 meaning that you would not be able to use a SP2 disk to try a Repair Installation of Windows, using an appropriate XP Pro disk that includes SP3 will be required or alternatively slipstreaming SP3 into a Windows ISO, for the latter you would need a retail XP disk and not an OEM such as HP or Dell and tbh it is far more trouble than it is worth for an OS that is no longer supported.

You say that the disk is not the original that was used to install XP Pro, what type of disk is it.

For any clean install of the XP Pro you will need a legitimate XP Pro product key, do you have this. 

June6 NISMO

June6 NISMO

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Good morning Phillpower2

Yes, this is without doubt, my machine.

Regarding the SP versions, the disk is definitely SP2 and at the time of yesterday's replies I was thinking that the machine was also SP2 but, now you have me thinking, and that machine was always updated so the odds are that it is currently on SP3 which is probably the source of the error.  We do have the 25 character product key with the disk which is a retail kit.  If this becomes a clean install any existing files will be lost in the process, correct?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Hello June6 NISMO,

Good, your PC and that you have the MS product key safe  :thumbsup:

Looks like you are going to need to go the slipstream route if you cannot borrow an XP Pro disk that already has SP3 included, whichever way you proceed you are going to need a computer that has internet connectivity, a disk burner and a blank disk or two.

An example of how to slipstream SP3 here

If this becomes a clean install any existing files will be lost in the process, correct?

Correct but we may be able to retrieve your personal data first, as per the above, you are going to need a computer that has internet connectivity, a disk burner and a blank disk for this.

June6 NISMO

June6 NISMO

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Hello Phillpower2

I have a second machine here that is working fine and has net access so we should be good.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Hello June6 NISMO,

Would try recovering your data first then, if you can do this it may further suggest that your HDD is ok and that it is Windows that is corrupt.

=================== 

***Required Hardware*** 

CD Burner (CDRW) Drive, 

Blank CD, 

Extra Storage Device (USB Flash Drive, External Hard Drive)  

=================== 

1. Save these files to your Desktop/Burn Your Live CD:

• Download Latest Puppy Linux ISO (i.e.: lupu-528.iso) 

Download BurnCDCC ISO Burning Software 

There are instructions on how to boot from flash drive with puppy here; / 

• Open BurnCDCC with Windows Explorer 

• Extract All files to a location you can remember 

• Double Click 1%20BurnCDCC%20Icon.PNG BurnCDCC 

• Click Browse 2%20BurnCDCC%20Browse%20Button.PNG and navigate to the Puppy Linux ISO file you just downloaded 

• Open/Double Click that file 

IMPORTANT: Adjust the speed bar to CD: 4x DVD: 1x 

• Click Start 3%20BurnCDCC%20Start%20Button.PNG 

• Your CD Burner Tray will open automatically 

• Insert a blank CD and close the tray 

• Click OK 

Puppy Linux Live CD will now be created 

2. Set your boot priority in the BIOS to CD-ROM first, Hard Drive Second 

•  

• Start the computer/press the power button 

• Immediately start tapping the appropriate key to enter the BIOS, aka "Setup" 

(Usually shown during the "Dell" screen, or "Gateway" Screen) 

• Once in the BIOS, under Advanced BIOS Options change boot priority to: 

CD-ROM 1st, Hard Drive 2nd 

• Open your ROM drive and insert the disk 

• Press F10 to save and exit 

• Agree with "Y" to continue 

• Your computer will restart and boot from the Puppy Linux Live CD 

4%20BIOSBootPriorityImage.png 

3.  Recover Your Data 

• Once Puppy Linux has loaded, it is actually running in your computer's Memory (RAM).  You will see a fully functioning Graphical User Interface similar to what you normally call "your computer".  Internet access may or may not be available depending on your machine, so it is recommended you print these instructions before beginning.  Also, double clicking is not needed in Puppy.  To expand, or open folders/icons, just click once.  Puppy is very light on resources, so you will quickly notice it is much speedier than you are used to.  This is normal.  Ready?  Let's get started. 

3a. Mount Drives[list] 

• Click the Mount Icon located at the top left of your desktop. 5%20Puppy%20Linux%20Mount%20Icon.PNG 

• A Window will open.  By default, the "drive" tab will be forward/highlighted.  Click on Mount for your hard drive. 

• Assuming you only have one hard drive and/or partition, there may be only one selection to mount. 

• USB Flash Drives usually automatically mount upon boot, but click the "usbdrv" tab and make sure it is mounted. 

• If using an external hard drive for the data recovery, do this under the "drive" tab.  Mount it now. 

3b. Transfer Files.

•  

• At the bottom left of your desktop a list of all hard drives/partitions, USB Drives, and Optical Drives are listed with a familiar looking hard drive icon. 

• Open your old hard drive i.e. sda1 

• Next, open your USB Flash Drive or External Drive. i.e. sdc or sdb1 

• If you open the wrong drive, simply X out at the top right corner of the window that opens. (Just like in Windows) 

• From your old hard drive, drag and drop whatever files/folders you wish to transfer to your USB Drive's Window. 

For The Novice:  The common path to your pictures, music, video, and documents folders for XP is: Documents and Settings >> All Users (or each individual name of each user, for Vista and above  C:\Users\$USERNAME\[...]. CHECK All Names!) >> Documents >> You will now see My Music, My Pictures, and My Videos

Remember to only click once!  No double clicking!  Once you drag and drop your first folder, you will notice a small menu will appear giving you the option to move or copy.  Choose COPY each time you drag and drop. 

YOU ARE DONE!!!  Simply click Menu >> Mouse Over Shutdown >> Reboot/Turn Off Computer.  Be sure to plug your USB Drive into another working windows machine to verify all data is there and transferred without corruption. Congratulations! 

Puppy20jpeg.jpg

Advertisements

June6 NISMO

June6 NISMO

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Hello Phillpower2

It looks like we have some success.  For some reason that machine did not want to boot on the Puppy Linux CD but, eventually a few tries, it did.  I was able to get in and copy the few files that I needed.

There was one item that I could not quite see to figure out.  I was in hopes of pulling a copy of my bookmarks out of Firefox.  I did find Firefox in Programs and did explore it but, I couldn't seem to locate the bookmarks.  Possibly because everything seems to look very different when running this way.  Do you think that that is something that can be extracted or is it a lost cause?

Thanks!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Hello June6 NISMO,

Good news about your data being secured  :thumbsup:

See mozilla support here regarding your bookmarks.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Not heard back from you June6 NISMO, do you still require assistance or is the issue now resolved, an update would be appreciated.

June6 NISMO

June6 NISMO

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Hello Phillpower2

Apologize for the delay, was a busy work week and I just hadn't had time to work on the machine.  Will try to tackle it again and put it to bed over the next day or two.

Thanks for the follow-up!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Hello June6 NISMO,

No problem, I just like to check back with folk when I don`t hear from them for a while.