Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP Pro won't boot (Resolved).

Best Answer phillpower2 , 17 September 2017 - 08:20 AM

Hello June6 NISMO,  So this is an old works computer that now belongs to you,  It is important that you also answer this for us as we cannot help folk with computers that do not... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

June6 NISMO

June6 NISMO

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Hello Phillpower2

Thank you for the Firefox link regarding retrieving Profiles/Bookmarks.  While I have done so previously within Windows, I have not been successful when running Puppy.  I've attempted to follow the procedure under "Finding your profile without opening Firefox" but, I'm assuming that due to my inexperience with Linux, I just have not been successful.  While exploring the Firefox folder while running Puppy I can find a Profile DLL.  Can you offer any suggestions?

Also, regarding booting Puppy by CD, I did encounter quite a bit of difficulty this time.  I received the following:

Error 0400 reading sector 48

Error 0400 reading sector 560

Kernel panic-not syncing:VFS; Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block (0,12)

After multiple attempts it did boot

Best regards

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Hello June6 NISMO,

Could be the HDD playing up or possibly a problem loading the AHCI or IDE drivers.

Don`t use FF myself so not overly familiar with it I`m afraid  :(

One suggestion that I would make, if you have not done so already, download FF while you are booted into Linux, see info here

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Not heard back from you June6 NISMO, do you still require assistance or is the issue now resolved, an update would be appreciated.

June6 NISMO

June6 NISMO

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Hello Phillpower2

I'm a bit stuck at the moment.  No issues downloading and running FF while in Linux.  Once FF is running I'd believe that the proper course of action is to "restore" the bookmarks from the FF backups.  I can navigate along the restore process within FF and find the backups under FF/Profiles/backups, many dates are listed but, when I select any date I receive a message that the file extension is not supported.  I'm not certain if the issue is my inexperience within Linux.

I suppose one other angle would be to simply copy the backups onto a memory card and try to import them into the application on another machine but, I have not been successful in locating them outside of FF; when in FF it is not possible to copy/drag to another folder.

Thx

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Hello June6 NISMO,

As previously mentioned I`m not too familiar with FF so can`t really help with it, have you tried copying the FF folder to a USB thumb drive device.

Another option that you may have is taking the HDD out of the computer and putting it into your second computer if it is also a desktop, you could then try accessing the HDD through the Windows OS on the second computer.

June6 NISMO

June6 NISMO

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Hello Phillpower2

I'm stuck.  After numerous tries I cannot get the machine to boot linux any longer.  Every time it ends with a kernel panic.  Is there anything else I should try with this machine.

I do have a second, fully operational HP so I could try swapping the HDD.  Is there anything that I should watch for?

Best regards,

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Hello June6 NISMO,

The HDD could have failed or it could a problem with something else like a bad or loose data or power cable from the HDD to the motherboard.

Are you or is someone else that you know ok with working inside of a computer, with a step by step guide from us if needs be.

I do have a second, fully operational HP so I could try swapping the HDD.

As per my reply #20;

Another option that you may have is taking the HDD out of the computer and putting it into your second computer if it is also a desktop, you could then try accessing the HDD through the Windows OS on the second computer.

As mentioned above we can offer step by step guidance but need to know two things first, is the person carrying out the task ok to do so and the model name or number of the second HP computer,the latter so that we can check the specs to make sure that it uses SATA HDDs and enough room in the case and the former for obvious safety reasons.

June6 NISMO

June6 NISMO

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Hello Phillpower2,

Yes, I'm fine with working on hardware, have swapped out many CD/DVD drives, added memory, graphics cards, etc.

Yes, the second machine is also an HP DX7500SFF.  Only known difference is XP Pro on one and Vista Business on the other.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Hello June6 NISMO,

the second machine is also an HP DX7500SFF.

HP DX7500SFF specs

Took a look at the specs for the second HP and unfortunately it does not have any room in the case for a second HDD, this means that what was going to be suggested cannot be done as in fitting the HDD from the first computer and then attempting to drag your FF data from the XP HDD to the Vista HDD.

The second computers MB has plenty of SATA ports so depending on how badly you need the FF data you could if your SATA and power cables are long enough attach the XP HDD to the Vista computer outside of the case, alternatively and much safer you could try and borrow an external USB HDD enclosure or adaptor and use that to try and copy the FF data to the Vista computer.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Not heard back from you June6 NISMO, do you still require assistance or is the issue now resolved, an update would be appreciated.

Advertisements

June6 NISMO

June6 NISMO

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Hello Phillpower2

I've opened up the case and poked around a bit to confirm that the layout is the same s the data sheet; everything does appear identical.

On both machines SATA 0 and 4 are currently in use; we would want to use SATA 1 for the XP HDD, correct?

What about power?  Would we disconnect power from the Vista CD drive to power the XP HDD?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Hello June6 NISMO,

On both machines SATA 0 and 4 are currently in use; we would want to use SATA 1 for the XP HDD, correct?

Should be ok as long as the XP HDD is not set as a boot device in the BIOS.

What about power?  Would we disconnect power from the Vista CD drive to power the XP HDD?

Both drives will require a power connection from the PSU and a SATA cable from the MB to each drive, please refer to the highlighted info below from my reply #23;

you could if your SATA and power cables are long enough attach the XP HDD to the Vista computer outside of the case, alternatively and much safer you could try and borrow an external USB HDD enclosure or adaptor and use that to try and copy the FF data to the Vista computer.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

June6 NISMO

June6 NISMO

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Hello Phillpower2

Question on the XP boot sequence.  The HDD is set to boot after the CD drive.  The Vista HDD is set to boot first.  That should not create a conflict, should it?

Thx!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Hello June6 NISMO,

Question on the XP boot sequence.

You do mean Vista boot sequence do you not!

Should be fine, as long as there is no disk in the CD/DVD drive, the BIOS will check the drive, detect no boot media and then move on to the Vista HDD and boot from that, once booted into Vista you should check in Disk Manager to see if the XP HDD is shown there, 

WD Disk Manager tutorial here