Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BSOD's, firefox crashing constantly, PC speed significantly slowed

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

desertdublu

desertdublu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Hi Bruce,

I tried running the regfix.cmd, a cmd window popped up for a second and then dissappeared, no message saying it was successful. I still cannot run the .reg files.

Advertisements

Bruce1270

Bruce1270

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,714 posts
Hi desertdublu

Please move the downloaded file swreg.exe to C:\Windows\System32.

Then follow my instructions in post #15 and then #12.

When the batch file is run you may not see any message though.

Thanks

Bruce1270

Bruce1270

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,714 posts
Hi desertdublu

Been doing some more thinking. If the instructions in my last post do not work then please try this.

WARNING: This fix has been designed specifically for desertdublu. If you are not desertdublu , do not follow these instructions, as you may cause harm to your computer.

Click Start > Search for regedit > right click on regedit.exe > select Run as Administrator

Expand HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, and look for a subkey called COMPONENTS

registry0.png

If you do not find it then it will need to be imported.

Single click on HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE,

Registry1.png

go to the File Menu > Load Hive... > navigate to C:\Windows\System32\config > select the COMPONENTS file (the one without a file extension)

registry2.png

Click Open > Give it a key name of COMPONENTS > OK

Registry3.png

it should appear as in the first screenshot.

Once the hive is loaded please then run the .reg files that you downloaded to your desktop.

Merge the registry files into the registry.
  • Double click on the goodkey23290.reg file.
  • You should see a message pop up warning you are about to update the registry. Do you wish to continue? Say Yes.
  • You should see a second message saying that the update to the registry was successful.
  • Repeat the above steps for goodkey19091.reg and goodkeykillbit.reg.

Please confirm if the .reg files have imported successfully before proceeding with further instructions.

Thanks

desertdublu

desertdublu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Hi Bruce,

Ok that worked, I was able to run those files. Attached are the sfcdetails text and the Checksur log

Attached Files

Bruce1270

Bruce1270

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,714 posts
Hi Desertdublu

Excellent. Not sure if you ran this fix as there is still an error remaining.

FRST fix
  • Highlight the entire content of the quote box below.

Move: c:\Users\Warren\Desktop\StObjectInstrumentation.ptxml c:\WINDOWS\winsxs\amd64_microsoft-windows-s..ect-instrumentation_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7600.16385_none_ad0104c087b7e1f0\StObjectInstrumentation.ptxml

• Right click on the highlighted text and select Copy.
  • Start FRST (FRST64) with Administrator privileges
  • Press the Fix button. FRST will process the lines copied above from the clipboard.
  • When finished, a log file (Fixlog.txt) will pop up and saved in the same location the tool was ran from.
  • Please copy and paste its contents in your next reply.

desertdublu

desertdublu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Hi Bruce,

When I try to hit "FIX" button I get the message "No filelist.txt found. The filelist.txt should be in the same directory as the program". I tried copying that to a notepad file on my desktop, naming it "fixlist", and running the program again, it said it completed successfully, this is the fixlog

Fix result of Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (x64) Version: 03-10-2017 01
Ran by Warren (04-10-2017 17:39:24) Run:3
Running from C:\Users\Warren\Desktop
Loaded Profiles: Warren (Available Profiles: Warren & Mcx1-WARREN-PC)
Boot Mode: Normal
==============================================

fixlist content:
Move: c:\Users\Warren\Desktop\StObjectInstrumentation.ptxml c:\WINDOWS\winsxs\amd64_microsoft-windows-s..ect-instrumentation_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7600.16385_none_ad0104c087b7e1f0\StObjectInstrumentation.ptxml

"c:\Users\Warren\Desktop\StObjectInstrumentation.ptxml" => not found

==== End of Fixlog 17:39:24 ====

Bruce1270

Bruce1270

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,714 posts
Hi desertdublu

Have you downloaded the zipped file and extracted the file StInstrumentation.ptxml to your desktop?

Please check if file is there if it is not there please extract the zipped file and run the fix again.

you can use the method that worked for you.

desertdublu

desertdublu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Hi Bruce,

I can't find that file on my computer, was it one you posted in this thread? I can't find it in your other posts.

Bruce1270

Bruce1270

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,714 posts
Hi desertdublu.

I sent you 4 files on 26 September by pm messenger. 3 were the .reg files and there was a .zip file. The file is called new compressed(zipped)folder.zip. This is the file I need you to download to your desktop.

Once you have downloaded it, right click on it and select extract to. Make sure your desktop is selected. This may create a new folder on your desktop. If it does The StObjectInstrumentation file will be in it. Move this file to your desktop so that you should see the StObjectInstrumentation file on your desktop.

Once you can see this file run the FRST fix. :)

desertdublu

desertdublu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Hi Bruce,

I extracted that file to my desktop and ran FRST64 again as admin, clicked "fix", but I get the same message, "no filelist.txt found". Must be in the same directory."

Advertisements

Bruce1270

Bruce1270

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,714 posts
Hi desertdublu.

Are you still requiring assistance?

Thanks

desertdublu

desertdublu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Hi Bruce,

My pc performance has improved thanks to your fixes, though I am still seeing slowdown, particularly when playing games. I still had some confusion over how to use that FRST64 fix because I keep getting that error.

Bruce1270

Bruce1270

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,714 posts
Hi Desertdublu         

Please try this amended FRST fix.

NOTICE: This script was written specifically for this user, for use on that particular machine. Running this on another machine may cause damage to your operating system.

Download the attached fixlist.txt to your desktop.Attached File  fixlist.txt   521bytes   174 downloads
  • Ensure fixlist.txt is in the same location as FRST.exe on your desktop.
    FRSTfix.jpg
  • Run FRST by right clicking on it and selecting Run as Administrator and press Fix
  • On completion a log (fixlog.txt) will be generated.
  • Please select all text in this fix, copy (CTRL + C) and then Paste (CTRL + V) in your next reply.

desertdublu

desertdublu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Hey Bruce,

Here is the fixlog

Fix result of Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (x64) Version: 02-11-2017
Ran by Warren (02-11-2017 20:31:40) Run:4
Running from C:\Users\Warren\Desktop
Loaded Profiles: Warren (Available Profiles: Warren & Mcx1-WARREN-PC)
Boot Mode: Normal
==============================================

fixlist content:
CreateRestorePoint:
CMD: takeown /f C:\WINDOWS\winsxs\amd64_microsoft-windows-s..ect-instrumentation_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7600.16385_none_ad0104c087b7e1f0
CMD: icacls C:\WINDOWS\winsxs\amd64_microsoft-windows-s..ect-instrumentation_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7600.16385_none_ad0104c087b7e1f0 /grant Administrators:F

Restore point was successfully created.

========= takeown /f C:\WINDOWS\winsxs\amd64_microsoft-windows-s..ect-instrumentation_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7600.16385_none_ad0104c087b7e1f0 =========

SUCCESS: The file (or folder): "C:\WINDOWS\winsxs\amd64_microsoft-windows-s..ect-instrumentation_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7600.16385_none_ad0104c087b7e1f0" now owned by user "Warren-PC\Warren".

========= End of CMD: =========

========= icacls C:\WINDOWS\winsxs\amd64_microsoft-windows-s..ect-instrumentation_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7600.16385_none_ad0104c087b7e1f0 /grant Administrators:F =========

processed file: C:\WINDOWS\winsxs\amd64_microsoft-windows-s..ect-instrumentation_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7600.16385_none_ad0104c087b7e1f0
Successfully processed 1 files; Failed processing 0 files

========= End of CMD: =========

"c:\Users\Warren\Desktop\StObjectInstrumentation.ptxml" moved successfully to c:\WINDOWS\winsxs\amd64_microsoft-windows-s..ect-instrumentation_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7600.16385_none_ad0104c087b7e1f0\StObjectInstrumentation.ptxml

==== End of Fixlog 20:32:26 ====

Bruce1270

Bruce1270

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,714 posts
Hi Desertdublu

That looks like that's replaced the file now. :)

We'll do another SFC scan and SURT to see if any errors remain.

Step1 - SFC scan

1.Click on the Start button and in the search box, type Command Prompt
2.When you see Command Prompt on the list, right-click on it and select Run as administrator
3.When command prompt opens, copy and paste the following commands into it and press enter.

sfc /scannow

Please note: there is one space between the c and the /

4.Let the scan complete.

If you get the message "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations" this means all is OK. Please confirm if you get this message.

If you get any other message then copy and paste the following command at the command prompt and press enter

findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\Logs\CBS\CBS.log >"%userprofile%\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt"

5.This will create a file, sfcdetails.txt on your Desktop.
6.Type exit to close the command prompt window.
7.Open file sfcdetails.txt and copy/paste this in your next reply.
8.If the file is too large you can zip the file and attach to your post.

Step2 - System Update Readiness Tool
  • Download the system update readiness tool from here and save to your desktop.
  • To install the tool, double-click the file
  • In the Windows Update Standalone Installer dialog box, click Yes

2914999.png
  • When the tool is being installed, it automatically runs. Although it typically takes less than 15 minutes to run, it might take much longer on some computers. Even if the progress bar seems to stop, the scan is still running, so don't click Cancel.

2915000.png
  • When you see Installation complete, click Close.

2915001.png
  • A log file will be created at %SYSTEMROOT%\Logs\CBS\CheckSUR.log. %SYSTEMROOT% is the folder in which Windows is installed. Usually this will be C:\Windows
  • Attach the log to your next reply.