Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

strange problem, please help, i dont know what to do

#booting #windows 8 #harddisk

• Please log in to reply

adeatcu

adeatcu

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Hello, I would like to apologize in the beginning for my bad english, I hope you will understand my problem ! So I have this Lenovo y510p laptop, with windows 8.1 installed on it and everything worked fine until two days ago, when I tried to install ubuntu. I succesfully installed ubuntu and after few minutes of using it, the image freezed and I tried to restart the machine. After I restarted the machine I noticed that my OS won't boot anymore, so I tried to manually select it in the Boot Menu. Unfortunately, I received these errors : "Windows Boot Manager boot failed", "Windows Boot Manager boot failed", "ubuntu boot failed". Ok, so I started searching different solutions on the internet and I also tried a few things :

- I tried to repair my laptop using the Windows 8 installer, I selected Troubleshoot Menu, and I selected "Refresh your pc", and I receive this : "The drive where Windows is installed is locked. Unlock the drive and try again". After that, I selected "Reset your pc" and I received this : "Unable to reset your PC. A required drive partition is missing."

- After these try-outs, I decided to check if I can make a new installation of Windows, and I cant, it says : "We couldn't find any drives. To get a storage driver, click Load driver.". So now I thought that it may be a problem with my hard-disk, I thought that my laptop wouldn't recognize it or something like that, so I accesed the command prompt and I used the command list disk, and it shows me just the size of the usb on which I have my windows installation, no other disks. After that I checked if my hard disk is being recognized in bios and it is.

Does anyone know how to approach this problem ? I really don't know what should I do, your help will be so appreciated. Thank you ! 

Advertisements

adeatcu

adeatcu

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Edit : I tried to use the automatic repair from the troubleshoot->advanced tab, and now I can't acces the windows 8 installer because I receive this error : "Recovery, your pc needs to be repaired. The Boot Configuration Data file doesn't cointain valid information for an operating system. File :\Boot\Bcd, Error code: 0xc0000098"