Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

stalled file transfer or copy

• Please log in to reply

richloomis

richloomis

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I build up large files of copied news items, sometimes entire sites, with resultant file sizes into the gigabytes. But regardless of size, I usually find that when I attempt to copy the entire folder or groups of folders to a backup drive, CD, (or anywhere) the lengthy process will go fine for a while and then (often after an hour or two!) stop with an error message about a particular file that Windows did not like for some reason, and if I dare to click an acknowledgement on the OK button (just to get it off the screen so I can proceed) then the entire copy session up to that point is lost. Why can't the stupid Windows system simply "note" the damaged file, or quarantine it, or whatever, and proceed with the process? Or, stop at the faulty file, allow us to remove or correct it, and then proceed without loss of the entire session? Is there a freeware or shareware program out there that will solve this conundrum?

Advertisements