Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sent emails.

• Please log in to reply

Deedee80

Deedee80

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hope someone can advise on this..... I received an email with a time and date stamp, I was not happy about receiving this email so late at night so raised this with the sender. They claim they had sent it the day before at an appropriate time. I disputed this due to the time and date showing on my received email and asked for proof.
They then forwarded me the email and the date and time has red characters and there is a yellow box, the date and time showing is 36 hours earlier than the date and time on the email I received.
My question is could he have faked the email/date and time or could there be a reasonable explanation for this???

Advertisements

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 990 posts

Hi Deedee80 and welcome to our forums.

:welcome:

I understand your thoughts on the timing/date of your emails.....However dates and times can be a trifle tricky,

for example time Zones across the world can have an effect, daylight saving times, and the individual settings on the many different servers and the originating and destination computers can all effect the actual time of delivery shown, as can failures on the machines being used and sometimes "operator error."

A simple email from a computer situated just a short distance from the destination computer may involve a large number of "hops" the email being passed half way around the world from server to server as space becomes available before arriving at the destination computer that may be just a few hundred yards away!...

It is not unknown for server issues to delay the transmission/delivery of an email so that a further attempt is made 24 hours later (This is done automatically and without human intervention) this 24 hour period can be renewed several times before either a successful delivery is achieved or the machinery just "gives up"

To sum up, dates and times shown on emails cannot be relied upon 100% to reflect the actual time of transmission from the originating machine.

To avoid confusion I have locked your duplicate post on the same issue

Regards

paws

Deedee80

Deedee80

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
So if one person has an email they claim was sent 36 hours before the email I received which states time and date different from the senders then this is normal? Also I requested the individual provide evidence of time and date however they just forwarded this to me and the sent part ie time and date is in red font and the background is yellow, all other writing is in black font?
I strongly suspect the individual is being untruthful.

Edited by Deedee80, 21 September 2017 - 11:01 AM.

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 990 posts

Hi Deedee80,

So if one person has an email they claim was sent 36 hours before the email I received which states time and date different from the senders then this is normal?

I would not describe this as "normal" however it is perfectly possible and happens from time to time.

The colour of the font used is not, generally, diagnostically significant.

I cannot comment on your suspicions that the individual is being untruthful. as you have provided no evidence, that supports your view..... the font colour and the date/time shown on the email is not credible evidence for the reasons given previously.

Sometimes an email will be delivered within a few seconds of being sent..... other times there could be a significant delay,(a day or more) for the reasons given in my previous reply.

Regards

paws

Fiannati

Fiannati

• PipPip
  • 30 posts

So if one person has an email they claim was sent 36 hours before the email I received which states time and date different from the senders then this is normal? Also I requested the individual provide evidence of time and date however they just forwarded this to me and the sent part ie time and date is in red font and the background is yellow, all other writing is in black font?
I strongly suspect the individual is being untruthful.

yes, it happens (did happen to me few times, at least). It is not always time-in-time delivery.