Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

SSD Drives for Acer Laptop

- - - - -

Best Answer phillpower2 , 30 September 2017 - 03:27 AM

Hello KiwiProbie, Would I be correct in thinking that you mean Crucial as opposed to critical SSDs. Capacity wise your budget may well be the determining factor but fwiw you can go up to... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

KiwiProbie

KiwiProbie

• PipPipPip
  • 464 posts

Hey Techies,

Question,  I have looked online for SSD's for my laptop, but the thing is I think its a bit bias that it only comes up with the critical SSD's, I want to know, what is the highest SSD I can use in my laptop and can I use one like samsung, or a seagate?

I have a Acer Aspire ES15-533-C1TW

Edited by KiwiProbie, 29 September 2017 - 07:34 PM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
✓  Best Answer

Hello KiwiProbie,

Would I be correct in thinking that you mean Crucial as opposed to critical SSDs.

Capacity wise your budget may well be the determining factor but fwiw you can go up to a 2TB SSD Samsung Evo for one and to name but one other brand Kingston offer a 960GB SSD see info here UK based but you only need the info from them and can purchase elsewhere.

KiwiProbie

KiwiProbie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 464 posts

Hi Tech Staff,

Thank you for your fast reply.  I wouldn't mind spending 300 for a 500Gig, cause that is all I would need for the time being.  But I have never used an SSD and I have known them to be way faster than HDD from the reading up I have done about them.

I am already going to be buying a new 8 gig ram for my laptop in 2 weeks with is 140 here.

My next question, when installing the SSD, do I just installing it like an normal HDD?

Can I run defrag tools like OO Defrag?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Hi KiwiProbie,

500GB is plenty big enough as you can use an external USB HDD further down the line for storing data on if you need to.

8GB of RAM is the sweet spot when running a 64-bit OS, is your Windows 10 the 64-bit version.

When you say "when installing the SSD, do I just installing it like an normal HDD?" do you mean fitting the SSD into the notebook or installing Windows on the SSD once fitted, fitting an SSD is covered in the guide here and most SSDs come with migration software to help you move data from the old HDD to a new SSD.

There is no need to defrag an SSD and doing so would damage one over time.

You are welcome btw  :)

KiwiProbie

KiwiProbie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 464 posts

I know that an 500 gig ssd would be all I need because I have a 500 gig HDD, plus a 1TB external hard drive that I use for backups and storing things that I don't want on my laptop like power bills etc.

Yes mine is a 64 bit, wouldn't go with a 32 bit and here they only sell 64 bit PC's as I have not seen an 32bit for ages that is brand new.  I do know that having an 8 gig will help, cause i do a lot on my laptop, and also I have even turned off the page file, as my computers always run faster without it, and I have been doing that since my windows 7 PC,  That way my computer is relying on my ram only, and that is why I am upgrading it in 2 weeks time to another ADATA 8 Gig DDR3L 1600MHz.

I mean fitting it into the part where the HDD is.  I don't mind reinstalling everything from scratch cause I have all the software on my external of what I am keeping and all my backups.  I do my back ups every month to every 2 weeks.

What about using things like crap cleaner and kaspersky?  Can I still use these as well, it may sound silly, but as I stated before I have not used an SSD, but the only reason I want to change to one cause its a speed improvement.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
What about using things like crap cleaner and kaspersky?  Can I still use these as well, it may sound silly, but as I stated before I have not used an SSD,

Not silly at all, it`s a pity that more people do not do thorough research before diving in and upgrading things, the two programs you mention are fine but as said you will not need any defrag program.

KiwiProbie

KiwiProbie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 464 posts

That is one thing that I am going to find strange is not defragging lol all these years of doing it.

So any other software is fine just no defrag tools?

Also what if the SSD starts going slow?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Think of not having to defrag the SSD as an added bonus of it`s technology and yes any other software is ok  :thumbsup:

An SSD will only start going slow for the following reasons, it is nearly full of data, an inadequate power supply, a loose cable or if the drive or other associated component is faulty.

KiwiProbie

KiwiProbie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 464 posts

Nice thank you.  And windows will install faster on it?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

You are welcome  :)

And windows will install faster on it?

Not sure if you mean boot faster once Windows has been installed or will the initial installation of Windows complete faster, so an answer to both;

Windows will only install as fast as your other hardware is capable of carrying out the task, faster CPU and faster RAM etc will obviously be quicker than slower hardware, installing from DVD or a USB thumb drive would also make a difference.

Once Windows has been installed booting into Windows from an SSD will be faster than booting from a HDD.

KiwiProbie

KiwiProbie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 464 posts

I knew about the ram side of it but for this instants we are really talking about with the SSD :-).

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

The SSD will install Windows as quick as the CPU and RAM send it the data if that is what you mean.

KiwiProbie

KiwiProbie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 464 posts

Thank you.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

You are welcome  :)

Let us know when you are up and running or if you have any questions along the way.