Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need help for Windows 7 program/documents stalling

Windows 7 stall safe mode

• Please log in to reply

heather110

heather110

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

Hi there,

I have been looking on this message board but could not find my exact problem, but hoping someone can help.  I have an ASUS laptop and run Windows 7, and the past couple of days I have had issues running everything on it.  I might be able to open Chrome (which is what I usually use), but trying to load one website just ends up stalling and I can't get anything open.  The same happens if I try to open a document.  The cursor still moves around the screen, but is either a wheel that stops spinning, or will not allow me to click on anything else.  I'll try to hit Ctrl + Alt + Delete to get to the Task Manager, but it never pulls up. 

I have tried some troubleshooting recommended in Safe Mode, such as recovering to a certain date (a few weeks ago before this issue started), Disk Clean Up, Windows Memory Diagnostic, but none of that seems to be helping.  I can only really seem to use the laptop at all from Safe Mode right now, too.

I'm not well versed at trying to repair anything by myself so this is all very new to me!  I would appreciate any help!

Thanks,

Heather

Advertisements

heather110

heather110

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

I was in the middle of an ESET Online Scanner which took 3 hours when I saw your post (which did not find any infected files), but then I've started on the steps you listed above.  I got through Step 7, and then restarted my computer.  That probably took an hour or so, but my documents are opening well and not stalling (I tried a PDF and a Word document), Internet Explorer is working well, however Chrome is not opening at all and that's usually what I use.

Should I proceed with the rest of your steps, or does this progress change anything you recommended in your post?

Thank you for responding and helping me with this!  I will not do any more on it tonight but will check again in the morning.

heather110

heather110

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

I've confused myself while working through the Clean Boot.

I followed the steps for the first half and when it restarted, everything I tried seemed ok again except for Chrome (attachment windowshelp.png).

I tried again with the second half (windowshelp2.png) and it seemed to run just as well as the first half did (still no Chrome).  I uninstalled Chrome, tried to reinstall, and then it froze on me.  I forced it to shut down and opened it back in Safe Mode, and downloaded Chrome again.      

While still in Safe Mode, I tried to work on narrowing down the second half since that's where it froze on me while reinstalling Chrome (windows2ndhalftest1.png).  When I restarted again, PDF/Word/Excel all opened like normal and this time Chrome opened!  I was so excited, but then it stalled again opening Gmail.  It let me type in my username, then password, but froze trying to load.

I'm confused because I don't know if this indicates the problem is in what I have checked or left unchecked in system configuration, so I'm reluctant to take another step before you weigh in again if possible. 

I will work on the system integrity test you suggested next.

Attached Thumbnails

• windowshelp.PNG
  • windowshelp2.PNG
  • windows2ndhalftest1.PNG

heather110

heather110

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

I just followed the instructions to do the sfc  /scannow and my results said, "Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but  was unable to fix some of them.  Details are included in the CBS.log windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log  For example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log  then ends  with C:\Windows\system32>sf_

Should I reboot and run again a second and third time as you originally said, or since I'm already getting this result, should I skip to navigating to that folder now?

heather110

heather110

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

I have executed the Sfc command two more times, and copied the CBS log to my desktop.  It was still identifying the same message I copied earlier about corrupt files it is unable to fix. 

heather110

heather110

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Thank you!

Here is a link, and I uploaded everything in the CBS log folder.  https://we.tl/ZTLoSXiutB

heather110

heather110

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

I started this and let it sit for about 30 minutes even though it said it should take about 10.  It said Step 1 failed (something about the server), got through Steps 2 and 3, and seemed to freeze on 1% of Step 4.  I had to force the laptop to shut down, and I'm running it again now.

heather110

heather110

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I tried again, and it looked different this time, but it still got stuck. I took a picture because when I try to use the Snipping Tool, it also freezes again trying to open another program.

Attached Thumbnails

• 359632F5-6D7B-4EC5-818A-C278F8D2A118.jpeg

Edited by heather110, 02 October 2017 - 09:29 PM.

heather110

heather110

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Im so sorry, this is getting over my head. How do I start it in Windows Set Up Media? I only know to hit F8 upon starting up to let me choose between Recovery, Safe Mode, Normal, etc.

heather110

heather110

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

http://speccy.pirifo...zirv1JdFqOMsI6b

heather110

heather110

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I tried to run the command, but I got a prompt that said, Access Denied as you do not have sufficient privileges. You have to invoke this utility running in elevated mode.

It is taking me several tries to do anything. It froze after I got the zip file from the portable site. Then when I restarted and copied the link, it froze when I was trying to post it here. I restarted again to type this and it froze one more time, so Im having to write this one from my phone.

I appreciate all of your help so much! Just let me know if its to a point I need to take it somewhere and let someone work on it before I make it any worse!