Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can you use a UHD Smart TV as a Desktop Monitor?

• Please log in to reply

mrpooh3

mrpooh3

• PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Hi,I am hoping to get a new 50"-55" 4K UHD Television and am also considering building a desktop PC and was wondering if there are any UHD TVs specifically designed so that they can also be used as a Desktop Monitor?

Advertisements

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

not sure if any are "specifically" designed to be used as a monitor but all can be used as a desktop monitor, in fact any new tv can be used as a desktop monitor.

:popcorn:

mrpooh3

mrpooh3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

not sure if any are "specifically" designed to be used as a monitor but all can be used as a desktop monitor, in fact any new tv can be used as a desktop monitor.

Hi terry1966,

I used to use my old samsung plasma 42" tv as a clone of my laptop's desktop sometimes but found the text too small to use it all the time but the resolution was 1920x1080 on it. 

Would I be better off not bothering to purchase a dedicated monitor and just use the large screen TV as a monitor then?

Should I purchase a graphics card that supports lots of resolutions if I intend to hook it up to the TV?

Wouldn't the text be too small too read on a 4k tv?

cheers!

Edit:  I found a video on youtube with a bloke saying it might not be a good idea to use a tv as a dedicated monitor>>

Not sure what to do now,although he does say a couple of models would be ok to use,I'll need to research a bit before purchasing one.

I was hoping to build a desktop pc and connect it to a large screen TV in my bedroom so I could lie in bed like Jabba the Hut watching football on TV or switch easily to use it as a monitor for PC use with wireless keyboard and mouse.

It also gave me an excuse to build my first desktop :)

Edited by mrpooh3, 02 October 2017 - 06:20 PM.

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

personally on my setup i have both a monitor and the tv connected and is the best option in my opinion but i also only have both because it's in the living room and i use both at the same time, tv for watching media and monitor to browse the net, play games, etc. but for you in the bedroom then you should be fine only having a tv as the monitor the minor differences pointed out in the video aren't really a big issue or noticeable to me when i use the tv instead of the monitor to browse the web.

don't know how the text will look on a 4k tv though because i only have a 1080p tv but things like font size can be adjusted so the text is readable anyway (similar to the way you can enlarge/shrink the text in a web browser simple by using Ctrl and + or Ctrl and - keys but in a more permanent way in the system settings. :- http://www.howto-con...-on-windows-10/) so shouldn't really be a problem.

my daughter has a 55" 4k tv and will check how hers looks again on the weekend, but if memory serves it was perfectly readable and useable from about 10 foot away.

using 4k tv as monitor :- https://www.cnet.com...v-as-a-monitor/

Edited by terry1966, 04 October 2017 - 02:04 PM.