Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

External Drives & Recycle Bin

- - - - -

Best Answer OZDOUG , 05 November 2017 - 05:26 PM

I took one of my 64Gb USB, transferred the data to my larger external HDD, then reformatted to NTFS.....a few hours there! Connected it to my PC & although it now shows as NTFS is still do... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

OZDOUG

OZDOUG

• PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

I just lost some files off an external USB drive as I deleted the wrong folder.....DOH!  On the PC I would just go to the Recycle Bin & restore, but the USB did not give me that option. 

However I remembered a while back having a SanDisk USB that did allow me to Restore from the Recycle Bin so I started checking all my external drives.............

I noticed the PC 'C' drive & an external LaCie HDD is using the NTFS system, while all my other USB drives seem to be FAT or FAT32. 

I also noticed that the LaCie HDD shows up on the Properties page for the Recycle Bin.....but never the USB drives.

[attachment=86062:recycle bin.jpg]

Is this issue related to a HDD being NTFS or FAT?

I would like to avoid losing more data in the future so would be keen to hear any tips on how to avoid this!....

Advertisements

dmccoy

dmccoy

GeekU Junior

• GeekU Junior
  • 1,295 posts

I am not exactly sure what you are trying to solve, but maybe this is helpful. The external hard drive will have its own recycle bin placed on it. However, to be able to access it you need to do the following:

In Windows Explorer's Folder Options dialog, along with ensuring
Show hidden files, folders, and drives is selected, you need to ensure the
Hide protected operating system files option is not selected. Follow the steps to reach this path:

1. Open File Explorer.

2. Click on View and select
Options from the top panel.

3. Now from the new opened window select 
View.

4. Now check for the above mentioned two options -Show hidden files, folders, and drives &
Hide protected operating system files

OZDOUG

OZDOUG

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Thanks dmccoy.....sorry to be slow on response....looking after an elderly relative while also looking for work!

I checked the settings you mentioned & made the changes:

Show hidden files, folders, and drives is selected, &
Hide protected operating system files option is not selected.

I rebooted the PC & checked all my USB drives & found no Recycle Bin shown on any of them EXCEPT for the two that are shown as NTFS file system. 

I plugged one of these units in & below is the info I got via Properties. I also checked the main PC Recycle Bin Properties & it shows the USB drive being listed there. This meant that if I deleted anything from the USB drive it would go the the Recycle Bin.

[attachment=86200:USB INFO-with recycle bin.png]

For the one of the FAT file system USB drives I got the following information:

[attachment=86201:USB INFO-with no recycle bin.png]

This drive is NOT shown on the Recycle Bin Properties, so anything I delete from it will dissapear.

I tried to re-format a spare USB drive & configure it as a NTFS file system but I'm not sure if I did that properly - or if it as simple as changeing file system! - but it didn't allow that drive to show up on the Recycle Bin Properties.

I'm starting to think that any drive must come originally configured as NTFS for this Recycle Bin feature to work.

I will try again to change another USB drive to NTFS & see if that works but I am wondering if it is the difference between NTFS & FAT file systems that allows them to have a Recycle Bin in their configuration.....?  

dmccoy

dmccoy

GeekU Junior

• GeekU Junior
  • 1,295 posts
Okay, it sounds like you are good with NTFS drive. I am not sure if you format as FAT or FAT32 if it adds the recycle bin. You would have to test. I recommend you use NTFS anyway because it doesnt have the 4GB file limitations and is the better choice unless you have a reason not to.

How do I format a USB Flash Drive to NTFS file system?
Right click My Computer and select Manage.
Open the Device Manager and find your USB drive under the Disk Drives heading.
Right click the drive and select Properties.
Choose Policies tab and select the "Optimize for performance" option.
Click OK.
Open My Computer.

Edited by dmccoy, 05 November 2017 - 09:41 AM.

dmccoy

dmccoy

GeekU Junior

• GeekU Junior
  • 1,295 posts
After a little more research it sounds like some USB drives are treated like hard drives and will create a recycle bin and others are treated as removable media and will not add the recycle bin. This may be the reason you are seeing it on some and not others. Most of the larger external drives are treated like hard drives and will contain the recycle bin.

OZDOUG

OZDOUG

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts
✓  Best Answer

I took one of my 64Gb USB, transferred the data to my larger external HDD, then reformatted to NTFS.....a few hours there!

Connected it to my PC & although it now shows as NTFS is still does not show a Recycle Bin or appear on the 'list' under Properties for the main PC's Recycle Bin. So no joy there.....

I am inclined to agree with your statement as to how some external drives are treated as 'Hard Drives' & show the Recycle Bin. I did initially think it was related to the brand of the USB but only one of my SanDisk USBs shows as NTFS & has a Recycle Bin while the others do not. 

But many thanks for your help on this.... :spoton:

I'll consider to get some larger external HDDs with the right characteristics, but for now I will just need to be more careful....& back up everything!  

dmccoy

dmccoy

GeekU Junior

• GeekU Junior
  • 1,295 posts
That seems to be the best conclusion. If you keep an updated backup of the drive this would resolve your problem as well. Another option is to use File history oprion in Windows 10

https://www.pcworld....up-feature.html