Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't Get New Dialup Modem to Work Correctly Under Win10

• Please log in to reply

lookout

lookout

• Pip
  • 4 posts

​I recently purchased a USB 2.0 Dialup Modem and I can't get the darn thing to work right on Windows 10. I've installed the correct drivers and can confirm that the modem works with Windows XP. The manufacturer said they can't help me and they claim the modem just isn't compatible with my computer. Despite the fact that the modem is supposed to be compatible with Windows 10, I've seen numerous posts from people who also have the same problem I do. I'd like to figure out what's wrong here because there aren't a lot of dialup modem choices out there.

So far I've managed to make several V.34 connections to my ISP, but only after issuing AT commands to connect that way. It will not connect at all unless I issue a +MS=v34,1 command.

I recorded audio of the handshakes and looked at the spectograms of it, then compared that to samples I found online. It appears that something is out of sync during an attempted V.90 connection, but this happens only on Windows 10. Additionally, the modem is not making any responses to the ISPs modem before the ANSam tone during an attempted V.90 connection. The only difference I can find between a V.34 and V.90 connection is that V.90 uses PCM downstream and V.34 doesn't. I don't know if that's where the problem is or not. From what I've read, it could be the computer's CPU causing some or all of the problem or the USB 3.0 chipset. I'm not sure if there's a workaround for any of that or not. At this point I'm basically hitting dead ends.

Is there anyone here who can help me?

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

:welcome:    lookout,

Please provide information about your computer, this includes is it a notebook or desktop, is it a custom build or brand name such as Dell or HP, if a brand name, provide the model name or series number (not serial) if a custom build post the brand and model name or number for the MB and the same for the new modem, providing these details will enable us to better assist you.

lookout

lookout

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

To be honest, it isn't actually my computer, it's my cousin's.

I don't have the exact specs, but I think it's a Lenovo Ideacentre 710. I know it has an Intel Core i5 processor with 8GB RAM, and Windows 10.
The modem is a Hiro USB, model H50113.

After doing more tests, we've come to the following conclusions:

Updating to the latest driver 2.2.104 from 2.2.101 made a big difference in that we went from a V.34 connection to a V.90/V.92 connection, but the downstream speed is stuck around 30k which is too slow, upstream is 28k which is acceptable. Downstream should be at least 40k. Whatever it is that appeared out of sync now looks normal, to the untrained eye and ear.
The release notes for the latest driver indicate that support was added for USB 3.0 on AMD based systems, but that doesn't apply to my cousin's computer as it's Intel. General USB 3.0 support was added with version 2.2.102.

The Hiro modem basically uses the same chipset as the USR PCIe modem. The only difference is that one is USB and the other is PCIe. Oddly, the PCIe modem works perfectly, but the USB does not. But the PCIe modem died and had to be returned. All other modems available are USB and most use the same chipset. So there's concern that none of those other modems will work.

The fact that the PCIe modem did work suggests (to us) that the problem may lie in the USB ports. Especially since the previous driver did not appear to have USB 3.0 support. However, the tones that we're seeing and hearing during the handshake make me think there's an incompatability issue between the modem and the computer's CPU. I just can't see the USB port and/or chipset being responsible for all those out of place tones. I could be wrong though.

We did try connecting the modem to the USB 2.0 ports, but that makes no difference. We tried connecting a Belkin 2.0 USB hub to the computer, but Windows didn't recognize it and gave an error.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

My apologies, I missed your reply #3 somehow  :blush:

Have you had any success with this.