Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows not Responding or very slow to load (Resolved).

Best Answer phillpower2 , 15 October 2017 - 07:24 AM

AntivirusKaspersky Internet SecurityAntivirus: EnabledVirus Signature Database: Up to dateMalwarebytesAntivirus: EnabledVirus Signature Database: Up to date   A quick look at Speccy... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

george01

george01

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Boot computer up and goes to the main screen. All logos showing , but if I try to connect to the internet or any programmes the computer sits for ages and nothing happens. Eventually I get a  message saying 'Windows not Responding'. I rolled the computer back to a safe restore using Acronis true image and at first it's fine but over 24hrs the same problems occur. I have run Malware full scan and Kaspersky full scan and there are no viruses being recorded.  Also checked that drivers are all up to date. Next to re-installing the operating system am at a loss to know where to go next.

I have to add that the windows not responding doesn't come up every time.

Eventually the computer will load up and runs fairly good, but not as it used too.

Appreciate any pointers that may help.  Thanks!

Edited by george01, 03 October 2017 - 05:03 AM.

Advertisements

george01

george01

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Yes I can boot into safe mode and I opened programmes within to check. they all opened OK. Soon as I go back to norm - same old story. Windows not responding.

Windows 10 by the way which I have on a separate partition is fine.

Edited by george01, 03 October 2017 - 11:41 AM.

george01

george01

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

did as you advised. However, somehow my firewall (kaspersky) became disabled and kept reverting to 2016 version and wouldn't load. Subsequently have had to revert to a good point and start again. It started fine after I reverted but in the past it has gradually slowed over a 24 hr period. Will leave for some hours then start again and do as you advisedthen  post the results. Tx for your help

george01

george01

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Finally got it all done. Result - it's Malwarebytes Services that's slowing it all down. Reluctant to get rid of it. Would deleting and reinstalling be an answer?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts

If I may chime in while FreeBooter is offline  :)

Create a new system restore point, uninstall MBAM, restart and test, if the computer runs ok, create a new restore point then try downloading MBAM again and test.

george01

george01

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Will try as I have to create an ongoing restore point with Acronis. Thanks

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts

You are welcome  :)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts

Not heard back from you george01 , do you still require assistance or is the issue now resolved, an update would be appreciated.

george01

george01

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
Yes. Still getting the same problem . I took malwarebytes out and installed with v2. (last years), and it worked ok. Soon as i upgraded to v3. problems began again.

george01

george01

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
Ok. Will do.

Advertisements

george01

george01

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

I ran the programme and have pinned the results below. Thanks

Edited by george01, 14 October 2017 - 08:05 AM.

george01

george01

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Have restarted computer after the download and it appears to be running OK. Will restart a couple of times and post outcome. Thanks

george01

george01

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Pinned the wrong one and have now deleted the other. However, will advise if running OK after several re-boots. Thanks

george01

george01

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Back to normal. I opened Explorer - opened - then not responding - responding - then not responding.  Checked other programmes. Live mail not opening. Have stopped Malwarebytes and will run that programme again and post the results here. Thanks

george01

george01

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

attached the result file. thanks

Attached Files