Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need help with chronic Firefox issue

script hanging freezing crashing extentions Firefox slowness

• Please log in to reply

andythebeagle

andythebeagle

• Pip
  • 5 posts

I have a chronic issue with Firefox.  Slowness when using Twitter, Gmail, YouTube, for a start.

Firefox support is non existent, and their community "experts" want me to chase my tail.  Any search on their support pages about this type of problem finds nothing helpful, with the exception of changing my Script run time in about:config and this doesn't fix it.  Refreshing Firefox or going thru my extensions one at a time finds nothing and I've been told an extension is my problem.  Any thing I change provides a temporary (minutes) fix at best, and the only thing I've found to work, again temporary (minutes) is to shut Firefox down and restore previous session after CCleaner does it's magic.Attached File  1 Firefox.rtf   22.9KB   547 downloads

Scripts hang up or freeze with no fix found.  Any trouble shooting I try finds nothing.  All this seems to have started with Australis.  However, even that is difficult to prove.  The latest script failure gave me this info:

moz-extension://ea0d3530-ee56-…3-8306-2e9352ba3874/content.js:547

This looks like a Java issue.  If so, Java and Firefox have a long and painful history on my PC.

Can anyone help with this?  Thanx in advance for looking into this.

Advertisements

Field Engineer

Field Engineer

• Pip
  • 1 posts

You can try these steps in case of issues with web pages:

You can reload web pages and bypass the cache to refresh possibly outdated or corrupted files.

• Hold down the Shift key and left-click the Reload button
  • Press "Ctrl + F5" or press "Ctrl + Shift + R" (Windows,Linux)
  • Press "Command + Shift + R" (Mac)

Clear the cache and remove cookies only from websites that cause problems.

"Clear the Cache":

• Firefox/Tools > Options > Advanced > Network > Cached Web Content: "Clear Now"

"Remove Cookies" from sites causing problems:

• Firefox/Tools > Options > Privacy > "Use custom settings for history" > Cookies: "Show CookiesStart Firefox in safemode to check if one of the extensions (Firefox/Tools > Add-ons > Extensions) or if hardware acceleration is causing the problem.
    • Switch to the DEFAULT theme: Firefox/Tools > Add-ons > Appearance
    • Do NOT click the Reset button on the Safe Mode start window

andythebeagle

andythebeagle

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

You can try these steps in case of issues with web pages:

You can reload web pages and bypass the cache to refresh possibly outdated or corrupted files.

• Hold down the Shift key and left-click the Reload button
  • Press "Ctrl + F5" or press "Ctrl + Shift + R" (Windows,Linux)
  • Press "Command + Shift + R" (Mac)

Clear the cache and remove cookies only from websites that cause problems.

"Clear the Cache":

• Firefox/Tools > Options > Advanced > Network > Cached Web Content: "Clear Now"

"Remove Cookies" from sites causing problems:

• Firefox/Tools > Options > Privacy > "Use custom settings for history" > Cookies: "Show CookiesStart Firefox in safemode to check if one of the extensions (Firefox/Tools > Add-ons > Extensions) or if hardware acceleration is causing the problem.
    • Switch to the DEFAULT theme: Firefox/Tools > Add-ons > Appearance
    • Do NOT click the Reset button on the Safe Mode start window

Sorry for the delay.  Thanx for your help.