Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Possible Infection

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

preacherswife

preacherswife

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts

I don't know if we are making progress or not but I was able to d/l the file and when I hit run as admin, it popped up the following...Windows Defender SmartScreen prevented an unrecognized app from starting. Running this app might put your PC at risk.  It gave an option to hit "More" and it said the following..

App: FRST64.exe Publisher:  Unknown publisher

At that point, it said, I can run it anyway so I did.  At that time, I clicked on run anyway and it only popped up on the screen 2-3 seconds.  :(

Advertisements

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts
I have to sign off getting late.

Yes we have made progress frst64 should be on the desktop. What I would do is disable smartscreen and try running FRST64 again.

See here to disable smartscreen
https://www.askvg.co...r-in-windows-8/

I'll post the directions for running FRST64 again.
  • Right click to run as administrator (XP users click run after receipt of Windows Security Warning - Open File). When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
  • Press Scan button.
  • It will produce a log called FRST.txt in the same directory the tool is run from.
  • Please copy and paste log back here.
  • The first time the tool is run it generates another log (Addition.txt - also located in the same directory as FRST.exe/FRST64.exe). Please also paste that along with the FRST.txt into your reply.

I will not return until late tomorrow evening,

Thanks
    Joe :)

preacherswife

preacherswife

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Thank you so very much Joe!  We will be gone to church tomorrow evening between 6:30-8:00 (EST)  then we will eat our "weekly"  salad and after that, I will probably work on our church bulletin.  Hopefully, we will be able to pick back up and make some more progress. 

Thank you again!

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts
You're welcome !

preacherswife

preacherswife

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts

I feel like the most unintelligent person right now.  I have opened the "Security and Maintenance" page but there is nothing that says "Change Windows Smart Screen Settings" anywhere so I am unsure of what to do.

I'm posting all things as they come my way because I don't want to leave you in the dark about what is happening.

preacherswife

preacherswife

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts

I feel like the most unintelligent person right now.  I have opened the "Security and Maintenance" page but there is nothing that says "Change Windows Smart Screen Settings" anywhere so I am unsure of what to do.

I'm posting all things as they come my way because I don't want to leave you in the dark about what is happening.

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts
Not to worry.

Are you using the Edge browse ?

preacherswife

preacherswife

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts

No, I am running Firefox.

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts
I wonder if it's because of creators-update, you don't see (Change Windows Smart Screen Settings") in the creators update addition of windows 10 things got moved around a bit.

The link below speaks of that very issue. Anything is possible :)

https://winaero.com/...reators-update/

preacherswife

preacherswife

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Joe, I have disabled what you said to do in Windows Defender.  Now what do I do?

Advertisements

preacherswife

preacherswife

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Joe, I haven't heard from you since October 11.  Are you still helping?

Thank you

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts
Hello,

Can we run the FRST scan now ? Directions in post 17..

sorry for delay.

preacherswife

preacherswife

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Every time I right click and hit run as administrator, I have to then check yes and immediately it brings up the box with scan but it only stays on the screen for 1-2 seconds so I cannot run the scan.  :(

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts
What happens if we just double click it ?

preacherswife

preacherswife

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts

The exact same thing,  Is this issue fixable?